What should I upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I upgrade?

Since the last patch my game has been running bad and crashing to desktop sometimes.I get low fps,like around 30.It's kind of coming to the point of being unplayable.I know a little bit about computer's,just wondering what you guys think I should upgrade for Bf2 to run better for fps.I know 2 gigs of good RAM is better for BF2,which I have a gig of no name brand.Should I get better RAM and another AGP video card or a new motherboard and a PCI-E video card?Any suggestions on products?Here are my specs.Thanks.

Windows XP Professional
    AMD/ P4 Ready ATX Case 350 Watt Power Supply
    Asus Motherboard P4PE Intel845PE Chipset DDR333
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.66 Ghz
    Elixir 2x512MB PC2700 DDR333
    Seagate Barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM Internal ATA/100 Hard Drive
    PNY GeForce FX LE Optima 128MB AGP Graphics Card
    Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Sound Card
    LG CD-R/RW Drive 52x24x52x
    Toshiba DVD 16x/CD-Rom 48x Drive

Re: What should I upgrade?

Well I would start with the most obvious and go with a video card like the 6600 or so and a gig of ram. But thats just my point of view.

Comment

how much are you looking to spend?

Comment

Originally posted by DFHayak
        Well I would start with the most obvious and go with a video card like the 6600 or so and a gig of ram. But thats just my point of view.
        I would go with what DFHayak said, I have the Geforce 6600 256MB and its a really good card, especially if your on a budget, I run all settings on medium and some on high.

As for the RAM, you should upgrade, try getting Corsair or even G.Skill, both good types of RAM, but get 2x1GB.

Comment

ewww thats a single channel DDR p4 setup. You need to get rid of that ASAP. P4s LOVE dual channel memory setups cause they are the only way they can get data fast enough to keep up with the high clock speed. That 845 chipset was a stop gap until the dual channel chipsets came out, namely the 865 and 875. Since you need a new board i would look at gettin a new mobo with PCI-express. You can get a board with PCI-Express and use your processor but honestly that 533mhz FSB chip is old too and only uses 333mhz memory. Also realize that AGP is dying fast and you will have to upgrade all these parts sooner or later regardless because you wont be able to go aslong as you have in the past on the same system. I know all about this cause i had a setup just like that one when the 845 chipset came out and it sucked. The rambus setups were alot better than single channel DDR so i sold it and bought a dual channel DDR setup once they were out. I went from a 2.53 533mhz FSB chip on a 845 chipset to a 2.4c 800mhz fsb chip on a 865 chipset and was finally happy. I had that 845 setup for like 4 months and was ****ed off at how it ran. The lack of memory bandwidth holds the p4 back in a big way, much more than a athlon 64 setup. I dont know your budget man but i think you need a new processor, motherboard, memory and video card. Might also wanna consider going AMD at this point since the newer Intel (E class and up) use expensive DDR2 and the prescott chips run very hot, use alot of power and arent as good for games.

Comment

Originally posted by WickedSlammy
            ewww thats a single channel DDR p4 setup. You need to get rid of that ASAP. P4s LOVE dual channel memory setups cause they are the only way they can get data fast enough to keep up with the high clock speed. That 845 chipset was a stop gap until the dual channel chipsets came out, namely the 865 and 875. Since you need a new board i would look at gettin a new mobo with PCI-express. You can get a board with PCI-Express and use your processor but honestly that 533mhz FSB chip is old too and only uses 333mhz memory. Also realize that AGP is dying fast and you will have to upgrade all these parts sooner or later regardless because you wont be able to go aslong as you have in the past on the same system. I know all about this cause i had a setup just like that one when the 845 chipset came out and it sucked. The rambus setups were alot better than single channel DDR so i sold it and bought a dual channel DDR setup once they were out. I went from a 2.53 533mhz FSB chip on a 845 chipset to a 2.4c 800mhz fsb chip on a 865 chipset and was finally happy. I had that 845 setup for like 4 months and was ****ed off at how it ran. The lack of memory bandwidth holds the p4 back in a big way, much more than a athlon 64 setup. I dont know your budget man but i think you need a new processor, motherboard, memory and video card. Might also wanna consider going AMD at this point since the newer Intel (E class and up) use expensive DDR2 and the prescott chips run very hot, use alot of power and arent as good for games.
            Very intelligent answer, and very true. I haven't incured any slow down yet, so I will stay with my current rig.

Comment

Right, great answer. Never thought about looking at the fact if was a single channel.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's,not sure what im going to do.

Comment

Originally posted by GuerrillaUnit
                  Thanks for the reply's,not sure what im going to do.
                  gj you got him even more confused just get a better videocard... and that's the thing that will make the difference.... your ram is fine if you're not bothered with a slightely lower FPS... just go with the videocard first and if you have some more money get a better processor and maybe if you got room left on your motherboard 2 more 512 ram sticks in dual channel...

Comment

Originally posted by redearedslider
                    gj you got him even more confused just get a better videocard... and that's the thing that will make the difference.... your ram is fine if you're not bothered with a slightely lower FPS... just go with the videocard first and if you have some more money get a better processor and maybe if you got room left on your motherboard 2 more 512 ram sticks in dual channel...
                    What card would you recommend for my system?I have read some reviews saying some of the 6600's run hot.Do you think I could run a 6800 with my power supply?Id probably get either one of those two.

Comment

^I don't see why not, but if you want to be on the safe side, and secured for a while till new products hit the market then get a better power supply, maybe a 600W?

Comment

You'd probably need about a 400w-500w psu to run the 6800 affectively.

Comment

well whats ur budget?

Comment

My budget would probably be around $300.

Comment

sry, US or canadian. (i just dont wanna sugest some wrong prices)

Comment

Working...
                              X