Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big name/Orange color prefix glitch. Against EA ToS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big name/Orange color prefix glitch. Against EA ToS?

Originally posted by maranello
    Where have you heard that from? That's funny CDkeys being revoked for using 3 characters infront of your name (therefore making it orange). Please don't make such comments if you are not certain and if you don't have proof.
    The only place i heard it was two people on planet battlefield forums whining about their cdkey being banned claiming it was because of the name ********, yes i know it's possible and more than likely they were using some form of hacks aswell and just covering themselves with the changed name.

Eitherway do you really think EA would go and remove it just for something to do? they wouldn't have removed it the first time if people were suppose to be able to run around like morons with large bright names. In my opinion if they removed it because people were not suppose to be doing it, i don't see any reason why people couldn't haven their cdkey banned.

Comment

Technicly speaking, using modified names 'n such is infact hacking. You need to manually modify local content in order to make the engine do something that it wasn't intended (and infact steps were taken to prevent) for you to be able to do.

Personally, I find it slighty annoying. Not a big deal, but enough to make me thing "this guy's gotta be some kinda tard".

Comment

BF2RS, The RoE and the RSA say you cannot do this on ANY ranked server, those that do, do so at their own risk.

Now lets put out the flames please.

Comment

this isnt a hack, cheat, glitch, bug, or exploit, it was put in intentionally for admin use.....people who are not admin and use it are abusing it...

many servers will kick/ban for it so if you need the attention bad enough you'll do it anyway...

it doesnt bother me that the font is big, or orange, it just has 'deprived child seeking attention' written all over it...or 'i want to be 1337 h4x0r'....

Comment

This is not a hack, this is not a cheat, this is not a glitch. Let's get our terminology straight here.

By dictionary definition, large names are an exploit. It is NOT in violation of the BF2RS RoE (Commonly referred to as the RSA), or EA's End User License agreement.

However, they are in violation of the EA Terms of Service, one such violation is as follows::
            Originally posted by EA ToS
            You will not exploit any bug in the Service or in any EA product to gain unfair advantage in the game and you will not communicate the existence of any such bug (either directly or through the public posting) to any other user of the Service.
            You can see the full EA ToS here, if you want to check it in more depth: http://www.ea.com/global/legal/tos.jsp

~Salad

Comment

the large/orange names are not an exploit. the ability to change the color/size of ones name was intentionally added...

it was added for admin use, to better tell if an admin is present

many servers will issue a ban for using this ability if you are not an admin....as that is simply abuse....using it for other than its intended purpose...

so the proper term would be 'abuse' of this function.....it does not offer any unfair advantage....it has not been declared officially as a violation of any rule/regulation

Comment

^ lol!

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaCueUp
                  the large/orange names are not an exploit. the ability to change the color/size of ones name was intentionally added...

it was added for admin use, to better tell if an admin is present

many servers will issue a ban for using this ability if you are not an admin....as that is simply abuse....using it for other than its intended purpose...

so the proper term would be 'abuse' of this function.....it does not offer any unfair advantage....it has not been declared officially as a violation of any rule/regulation
                  EA has already been contacted regarding this matter. Several respondees said it's fine, but admins are ordered to ban for it, some said there was no say on the matter, though the majority stated that it was in fact a violation.

Though it is not official yet, as there are mixed views, a final opinion from EA was requested regarding this matter. Until then, I'm going to go with it being a violation.

~Salad

Comment

i use 1 of these name altering prefixes. There are about 5, and diffrent combos of the few. but there is 1 that takes 3 letters out of your name, and another 1 that removes one letter. I fell we should be able to use this because there is no way to edit your name normaly. I personaly use it to remove the MOB clan tag from my name.

Comment

What if you use these "bugs/hacks" on unranked servers... can EA still ban u?

Comment

Its not a bug or something else.
                        DICE needs a way to make text orange, for invitations and votes and that stuff.
                        This can be done in the languagefiles. First they had |c for orange text.
                        There were some clan players named c, clantag and name separated by | and voila.
                        They removed it but added it back in but with a new way to do it.
                        §C isnt used often so they thought it will be okay.
                        Someone looked into the localization files and tried it, worked.
                        Its not a bug or a glitch, its just there. lol

Its annoying when someone uses it but DICE will never-ever remove it.
                        Maybe they will change the way to do it but it will be possible for ever and ever.

Comment

Working...
                        X