More complex reload command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More complex reload command

I think before they do that (witch I hope they never do) they should focus on getting the animations correct, you don't **** a gun if theres still a bullet in the damn chamber. I swear the only game that does this is COD. Every other game is to damn stupid to realize that.

Comment

Go play america's army

Comment

Originally posted by Tenshi
        Something that i realised is that the way we reload guns in games is possibly too basic. I think its also an untapped gameplay mechanic.

At the moment we just hit 'reload'.

What i was thinking is that there should be a sequence of commands (possibly, but not necessarilty, buttons) to reload the guns and that the sequence should be different for every gun. Then it actually requires a little skill to reload the gun and you have to actually learn how to do it. It would also add alot of tension in fire fights. Also the speed and timing you use to do the sequence has an effect on how fast you reload...so doing it too slow will abviously take longer to reload, whereas too fast increases the risk of jamming it (and of you making a mistake). Then some guns can be made more prone to jamming while reloading.

For example for a sniper rifle you have to raise the bolt, pull it back sway the cartridge, push the bolt back and press it down. The command sequence for that could look like ABCBA (whatever A or B corresponds to).

For a shot gun. ABBBBBBBBC where A is the 'begin reloading' command, B is insert cartridge (however many times you want) and C is ****[edit..lol..that thing you do to a shotgun that sounds like a swearword].

Im not sure what A B or C actually should be. They could be buttons or even mouse gestures. Or maybe something similar to the com-rose.

What do you think?
        I like the concept, it's quite original. but it should be simplified a bit.

Comment

Don't like the idea personally. This isn't dance dance revolution or some other button mashing, rythmic game. The reload is there because obviously guns need to be reloaded and they don't want people spraying unlimited ammo everywhere. They need to strike a balance between realism and playability somewhere in the game. Thus far, they have done a pretty good job of it.

Comment

do you know any game, realism or otherwise, that uses your scheme?

not even OFP uses it.

Why? because it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMcleod
              Great idea! And we could implement breathing controls as well. And a button to blink, and you could scratch your arse using the mouse wheel.
              Bad etiquette for a LAN party, what with the smelly mouse and all.

Comment

I agree with Tenshi, I hate it how you just hit R and you don't need to worry about your character not being able to reload the weapon cause it's automatically done for you. It should be more realistic, like in real life when you reload a gun during a battle theres chaos happening all around you and your adrenaline and fear of being shot causes you to mess up while loading the magazine or bullet. Maybe rather then having a series of combanations of keys like 'ACBD', you could have the reload function drain your character's stanima ie. for sprinting, jumping so if you're out of stanima...it will take twice as long to reload the weapon and you will see it from the 1st person perspective of your character messing up like not being able to load the magazine into the slot or dropping the magazine. I also wish the weapons could jam like in America's Army...EA threw in an overheat system for machine guns like the SAW and RPK to keep them balanced so why can't there be a jamming system for other guns to keep them balanced? DrMcleod, there are games where you can control your breathing like Splinter Cell Chaos Threoy...it would make sniping more realistic in bf2 if there was a simple breathing sequence that the player would control when he's zoomed in with the M95 or M21. Thank you Tenshi for bringing this up.
                The game 'Black' has a cool reload sequence, rather then having key combos or a stanima drain EA put in a guassian blur so when you reload the only thing that is clear is the weapon. It forces you to only focus on the gun reloading, most of the time when people reload they look around to see where the enemy is.

Comment

Cause that **** is gay , just make nice reload anitmations and I'll be good.

Comment

Originally posted by $hArp$h0t
                    I agree with Tenshi, I hate it how you just hit R and you don't need to worry about your character not being able to reload the weapon cause it's automatically done for you. It should be more realistic, like in real life when you reload a gun during a battle theres chaos happening all around you and your adrenaline and fear of being shot causes you to mess up while loading the magazine or bullet. Maybe rather then having a series of combanations of keys like 'ACBD', you could have the reload function drain your character's stanima ie. for sprinting, jumping so if you're out of stanima...it will take twice as long to reload the weapon and you will see it from the 1st person perspective of your character messing up like not being able to load the magazine into the slot or dropping the magazine. I also wish the weapons could jam like in America's Army...EA threw in an overheat system for machine guns like the SAW and RPK to keep them balanced so why can't there be a jamming system for other guns to keep them balanced? DrMcleod, there are games where you can control your breathing like Splinter Cell Chaos Threoy...it would make sniping more realistic in bf2 if there was a simple breathing sequence that the player would control when he's zoomed in with the M95 or M21. Thank you Tenshi for bringing this up.
                    The game 'Black' has a cool reload sequence, rather then having key combos or a stanima drain EA put in a guassian blur so when you reload the only thing that is clear is the weapon. It forces you to only focus on the gun reloading, most of the time when people reload they look around to see where the enemy is.
                    it's one of those features that will be bitched by the majority, myself included.you are basically asking for bullet jam and breathing for games like quake

Comment

Originally posted by Hu.Z_of_PLA
                      it's one of those features that will be bitched by the majority, myself included.
                      Yeah I can see it's gettin bitched by the majority of people HERE. I'm just saying that its a system that should have been included...of course this is bf2 not AA and EA would never throw in something like this. But it's good that someone brought it up cause I wanted to know if other people too wanted to have a game with a system like this. Maybe it could get included to AA or something cause AA is the only game I can think of right now that would throw in a system like this.
                      One other thing, it's an idea...theres no need to bitch about it just because you feel that it is unneccesary. It's the same as going around your neighborhood bitching to everyone that you think we should not have gone to Iraq for example, it doesn't prove or mean anything if you talk that way.

Originally posted by Hu.Z_of_PLA
                      you are basically asking for bullet jam and breathing for games like quake.
                      Uhhh no...bf2

Comment

I think the key sequence idea is a bit extreme, but it brought me to another idea! Gun Jams, just like Americas Army. That would be pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                        X