The DICE way of treating gun accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The DICE way of treating gun accuracy

Good to see you have caught on. You're last statement summed it all up very nicely. Nice to hear about the MSG-90 I didn't even know they had built a military version.

Comment

Friends of mine who have used the G3 in the army talk about it as a very accurate rifle. Without a direct comparison there is no way to determine if the M16 is more accurate. And the statement about 400meters effective range is bs.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUiB_2154
        Good to see you have caught on. You're last statement summed it all up very nicely. Nice to hear about the MSG-90 I didn't even know they had built a military version.
        Thanx, anyways, good info on the MSG-90 if u want: http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn27-e.htm
        regardless, ur another person on my buddy list.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUiB_2154
          Now if you made sense of all that, yes a 7.62 round is more accurate at long ranges but our argument isn't about long range. The M16 is still a more accurate rifle than the G3 even though it fires a less accurate bullet. The G3 is simply not an accurate enough rilfe to take full advantage of firing the more accurate round.
          And what are supposed to be the reasons for the G3 being less accurate? I´ve fired a few G3´s and the M16A2, of course it depends on what kind of gun you get. 40 y/o german army G3s won´t exactly cut it concerning accuracy, but well maintained and unabused G3s are very accurate. With military grade ammo you probably would be hard pressed to find any accuracy difference with both the G3 and M16A2.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy01741
            Exactly, also, why don't sniper rifles use 5.56 rounds. Cause 7.62 rounds have more momentum which makes it have the ability to effectively hit farther targets.
            What makes u think all sniper rifles use 7.62 ammo? The barret fires a 50 caliber round. Most standard sniper rifles like m-40 and m-24 fire 7.62 beacause of it's kill factor and its range. You're not exatcly conducting CQB ops with sniper rifles. Which is why the shorter range of a 556 round and its compactness make it ideal for infantry OPS

Comment

Originally posted by SK
              And what are supposed to be the reasons for the G3 being less accurate? I´ve fired a few G3´s and the M16A2, of course it depends on what kind of gun you get. 40 y/o german army G3s won´t exactly cut it concerning accuracy, but well maintained and unabused G3s are very accurate. With military grade ammo you probably would be hard pressed to find any accuracy difference with both the G3 and M16A2.
              I was arguing that the M16 was only slightly more accurate than the G3. I'm basing my opinion purely on logic and what I have read about both rifles. Anyway unless we go out and by multiple good condition M16s and G3s and carry out our own extensive accuracy testing I doubt we can definitively prove either one of us right.

Comment

Originally posted by Jones[31stMEU]
                What makes u think all sniper rifles use 7.62 ammo? The barret fires a 50 caliber round. Most standard sniper rifles like m-40 and m-24 fire 7.62 beacause of it's kill factor and its range. You're not exatcly conducting CQB ops with sniper rifles. Which is why the shorter range of a 556 round and its compactness make it ideal for infantry OPS
                The point being that usually only 7.62 x 51mm NATO and above are used for sniper roles. No one's talking about CQB, light rounds and fully automatic fire sustainability. We're talking about accurate shots here mate. No one said only 7.62 NATO rounds were used. Besides, the only actual sniping system that I know of that uses 5.56 x 45mm rounds is the SIG SG550.

Not to mention the countless other kinds of rounds out there, .338 Lapua, .300 Magnum, .303r British, 7.62 x 54r SVD type and so on...

@SQUiB_2154:
                It doesn't have to necessarily be at long ranges. As you said, it depends on the ambient conditions. Consider the Middle East as it is and consider a hostile environment such as, let's say, Karkand's -- sandstorms and strong winds. Although I'll admit to having no idea how badly it would influence the bullet deviation, I assume using a 7.62 rifle would be to your advantage if you want accurate shots (let's set the fact that Karkand is an urban setting aside for a second) -- with a 5.56 rounder, your rounds would be more easily prone to fly away, especially once you compare the lightest of 5.56 rounds to the lightest 7.62 rounds (from the values I have around, in terms of grams that would be 3.6g vs 7.1g, roughly 50% less weight).

Again, this is under special circumstances, and I'm not even considering each particular assault/battle rifles' designs, but the use of heavier rounds offers one particular advantage over these circumstances -- more accuracy.

While this is irrelevant to the rest of the discussion, it's the closest as I got to exemplify my line of though.

EDIT: Well, thinking along it doesn't really make much sense. V0 speeds for 5.56 rounds are very high, so I suppose it would nullify the need for any higher caliber rounds at closish ranges (since sandstorms would cut your visibility severely)... bah. I stand corrected.

The only real advantage I can see to 7.62 in this case is higher damage. All I know is that the G3A3 is depicted in game as some sort of high-power, open bolt sub-machine gun...

Comment

U really think i don't know what a barret fires? Seriously, the AWP does too, i could name like 20 more sniper rifles that use .50 caliber. And the SS Vintorez uses the 5.56 Nato round. Dude, i think i know my sniper rifles, assault rifles, and machineguns better than almost all people in the BF2 gaming community. Actually, i know about pretty much all infantary weapons except for SMGs, handguns, knives, and anti armor weapons. So don't go flaming me saying that not all sniper rifles use 7.62 rounds, my point is, like about 75% of sniper rifles are using the 7.62 bullet.

Comment

this is why they call it a game, it is not real, it is made for fun and therefore you need balance.

Comment

I thought barrets used 9mm?

Comment

Working...
                      X