Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to Delete tags (before prefix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a way to Delete tags (before prefix)

Originally posted by artnez.com
    Um. Ok.

Normal games don't track people by usernames. Just like a good web application will not track its users by their username( instead by email, or give every user a unique identifier). Because PB is a requirement to play on ranked servers, everyone can be tracked via their GUID. There is no need to track people based on their username.

When you say "track cheaters".. who are you referring to? Are you referring to people who admin servers? They can ban by GUID or IP (not sure which) so someone with that account has no chance of getting in.

Simple.

I can't comprehend how you can defend this one. A huge chunk of the community plays in clans, tournaments, etc. The whole point of the stats system is to track your progress as you play BF2. It's moronic to assume people will want to start with a brand new account if they join a clan.
    Sorry, I really wasn't clear with what I was saying.
    I ment that it's easier for users and other players to track cheaters, TKers, and general numbskulls 'n arses when you can't change your name.
    Also, people are just generally better behaved when they know they can be identified.

Comment

Just put a space...it won't change your stats.

Comment

Originally posted by [UKNG]Tartan_Tar
        Right ok, i get the point, i am stupid for adding tags to my name before the prefix. but the prefix wasnt a week away if u recall, it was far longer. My husband has just left the clan and had to start with a new name , i amjust surprised that it wasnt like bf1942 it was easy and showed all the names u have used with the account.

anyway thanks
        You and your husband play BF2 together? Ummm, lucky guy. Greatest woman ever? Get's my vote.

Comment

I'm actually in the same boat. I'll probably start over eventually. I like the CoB guys a lot. But it would be nice to be able to change the clan sig from time to time when I'm playing with different folks. But I'm not about to change right now because I can actually win the Commander application with this current rank.

MS

Comment

Originally posted by strathound
            You and your husband play BF2 together? Ummm, lucky guy. Greatest woman ever? Get's my vote.
            Yeah... there's nothing like a little cyber-murder to keep a relationship happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
              Sorry, I really wasn't clear with what I was saying.
              I ment that it's easier for users and other players to track cheaters, TKers, and general numbskulls 'n arses when you can't change your name.
              Also, people are just generally better behaved when they know they can be identified.
              If only this were true, I would agree. But, no one in their right mind would believe this one :laugh:

No, seriously, have you ever been on a pub server? And if you say go to carefully picked servers (which you would be right in saying), it still doesnt change the fact that there are more smacktards in this gamethan in politics.

Try hitting up a 50-64 players pub server. Notice hwo the voting text never goes away. Also, if you're brave enough, look at the chat. Then quickly close your eyes before you have a siezure... I know I had to.

Comment

Originally posted by artnez.com
                I personally hate it when application developers depend on "common sense" of the user.. especially when it comes to issues such as this. Yes, there are things that are extremely simple and people just need to know it. There is a standard for these things.

Asking users to assume that they cannot change their username is just a case of you believing that everyone should think like you. Hell, I was quite surprised that you thought these things are ever tracked by username in the back end. For me, it's "common sense" that things can't be indexed by username. Then again, I've been working in this field for years now -- so my perception of "common sense" is different from yours.
                I Did say that common sense was one reason, but the other is a MUCH better one
                ......it was VERY clearly written
                "NOTE: You cannot change your account name, password, or associated email address on an existing account, You must create a new account"
                on both the manual, and readme file, at the "creating a profile" section (at the beggining!!).....
                Now i am not sure what else EA/DICE or anyone else could do beyond that, maybe go round and visit everyone personally that buys it just to remind them to use there eyes if they dont want to be dissapointed

Also i am pretty sure lots of RPG's and other games track by username and not ID, and DEFINATLY all stat tracking websites do, You have to remember that BF2 is different to all those other FPS's, persistant stat tracking is a pretty new concept in this genre but people should be used to the concept from HLstats or similar. It all comes back to the manual, readme and common sense to me i still have to say

As for this idiot
                Originally posted by Wreck
                Ignore Teaves... He's never been this close to a girl before so he gets a little nervous. The most comfortable way for him to deal with it is to lash out in anger.
                I am not quite sure how to respond, firstly where is the lashing out in anger in my post?? i am merely stating the obvious and am not even slightly angry or insulting, in fact the closest i get is to say " i have no sympathy for you" not exactly strong stuff now is it

YOU are the one (trying) to use personal inults not me :laugh: ..... also the fact i have been married for 24 years and have 3 wonderful children sort of negates your argument

Comment

Originally posted by Teaves
                  Also i am pretty sure lots of RPG's and other games track by username and not ID, and DEFINATLY all stat tracking websites do, You have to remember that BF2 is different to all those other FPS's, persistant stat tracking is a pretty new concept in this genre but people should be used to the concept from HLstats or similar. It all comes back to the manual, readme and common sense to me i still have to say
                  Hmm.. would be nice if you could point out what stats tracking systems you have built in your time. Not being sarcastic, I'm serious. I'd love to see a large scale stats tracking system work that indexed it's database information by textual strings.

Are you trying to say that people shouldn't have the ability to change their usernames when their entire gaming history is recorded? Are you serious? I know you're just mumbling stuff and don't care about what you say... but atleast try to make sense of yourself here. What about changing your password? That shouldn't be in the system too by your standard right?

It would be hilarious if the world of software development was based on opinions as thoughtless as yours. Your problem is that you're thinking about yourself. You have a nickname that you like, that you think you'll never need to change.. so who cares, right? What you don't seem to realize is the reason things are so easy for you to use on Windows is in response to the idea that you cannot base your application on common sense. Maybe someone has ADD, or tunnel vision.. who the hell knows what. After all, this game is for the masses... yet it isn't developed as such.

Would be nice to sit you down in front of a Linux box and take away your windows PC. See how far your common sense takes you then

Comment

the servers can track you trough your PID-number right?
                    why not have a name history along with the regular stats?

Comment

This is a good case of lazy programming and EA/DICE cutting corners on game features. We as paying customers are the ones that have to suffer from this.

Its pretty sad how EA/DICE added the "prefix" option via a patch after the game was released. It would have been really nice if the option was there when the game FIRST came out. If that was so, we wouldn't be seeing threads and posts such as this one discussing the issue. Comes to show that they've only gotten their head half-way out of their ass after the "prefix" feature was implemented.

Something Ive come to notice with player names is that if you look at the names on your buddy list be it on AOL Instant Messenger or Yahoo Messenger. Your friends will have names such as "TonyDude44" and "LollyPopDan69". The same style of nicknames applies to Battlefield 2. Its hard anymore to find a unique name and some people switch names. The problem is that you cannot simply go in and edit your name without being forced to create a new account, and we all know that by doing this you go back to zero rank.

I know this problem will never be resolved but its just one of the many things that EA/DICE needs to take into consideration because the people that pay them are requesting that it be done.

You do not want to lose your paying customers do you?

Start paying attention to what they ask for and help make BF2 a better game instead of releasing half-assed expansions.

Comment

Originally posted by Teaves
                        Surely its obvious you wont be in the same clan forever and it was VERY clearly written on both the manual, and readme file, at the "creating a profile" section (at the beggining!!)
                        Quitter

Comment

When your banned it is done by keyhash or ip addy, not by your nick. This would imply that they do NOT need your nick to track you. That being said, you SHOULD be able to swap nicks all you like under one master account and log into them like they were users. Your stats should be tied to the master user account and not each nick independantly. It should not matter what user name your playing under. The keyhash should be the master identifier.

Comment

I can only wish that EA do something so its a lot easier. anyway I hope one day this will happen and fingers cross it will be simple application and edit signiture type thing, if its done with the keys given with the game it will be a lot simpler for me but not for other folk who have brothers , sisters and fathers playing on the same game, i myself have 2 copys one for the other half of which is played on another pc , but some folks are not so fortunate.

An option asking, eg, Tartan-Tart , you havve 4 other accounts with your key do u wish to add any to the prefer name. etc

in that way because i was in a clan before and had to restart an account using a different name and the time played can go with the existing ,i have medals , ribbons etc with other accounts and dont have them on my new one. anyway just going on now, but thanks anyway....

And this was all done before the prefix had started.

Comment

Working...
                            X