Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to Delete tags (before prefix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to Delete tags (before prefix)

I am just wondering if there is a way to keep my stats but remove my tags, they were added before the prefix , so i am wondering if anyone has found a way that i can play without my Tags are will i have to got back to the original account of which i am only corp.

Its took me over 200 hours to get where i am and really dont want to start off from scratch again.

Thanks

Tried and tested replies only

Re: Is there a way to Delete tags (before prefix)

Yeah you can, you just have to go in and edit a text file. I can't remember the file and I'm not at my computer right now so I can't look, but I'm sure someone will post it up soon.

Comment

no no......if u edit the file...it doesn't edit wat EA has on their stat servers..
      i think ur thinking of the prefix......

Comment

Oh, I didn't see that he added before the prefix. I can't read tonight...

No there is no way.

Comment

HE HE HE, you mean She. lol.

I just think i am totally goosed, ive done searches and its all the same answers, no, prefix is the new way, yada yada, i am so surprised there isnt a way EA can fix this,rather than add the new prefix what about the folk before the prefix, mmm.

im stuck:cry:

Comment

Oooohhhh... a gurrrllll.... Ewwww cooties...

Comment

Yup, it's a bumber, but there really is no way to edit account names.

On the bright side, you're likely to have much nice looking stats the second time through since you've no-doubt become more skilled during those 200+ hours.

Comment

Kinda stupid if you ask me. The account info should be tied to a user name and password only, or email addy and password, not dictate the user name be the in-game name. You should be able to change that just like you have been able to in every oter game in the past few years.

Comment

yeah its annoying not being able to change ur name :s

Comment

It's intentional.

When you are restricted to a single name per account, you are less likely to do stupid things with it.

It's also easier to report abuse and track cheaters.

Edit: Er, not to imply that the original poster ([UKNG]Tartan_Tar, who would rather be Tartan_Tar) is a cheater, abuser, or has done anything stupid with her account.

Well, maybe making the account name inclusive of the tag wasn't too bright, but I've done it before too.

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
                      It's intentional.

When you are restricted to a single name per account, you are less likely to do stupid things with it.

It's also easier to report abuse and track cheaters.

Edit: Er, not to imply that the original poster ([UKNG]Tartan_Tar, who would rather be Tartan_Tar) is a cheater, abuser, or has done anything stupid with her account.

Well, maybe making the account name inclusive of the tag wasn't too bright, but I've done it before too.
                      Um. Ok.

Normal games don't track people by usernames. Just like a good web application will not track its users by their username( instead by email, or give every user a unique identifier). Because PB is a requirement to play on ranked servers, everyone can be tracked via their GUID. There is no need to track people based on their username.

When you say "track cheaters".. who are you referring to? Are you referring to people who admin servers? They can ban by GUID or IP (not sure which) so someone with that account has no chance of getting in.

Simple.

I can't comprehend how you can defend this one. A huge chunk of the community plays in clans, tournaments, etc. The whole point of the stats system is to track your progress as you play BF2. It's moronic to assume people will want to start with a brand new account if they join a clan.

Comment

True, but i have no sympathy for people that used there clan tag when they first regged either, OK for NEW gamers, this being there first game online maybe, but for everyone else WHY didnt you simply use your name without tags in the first place?? Surely its obvious you wont be in the same clan forever and it was VERY clearly written
                        "NOTE: You cannot change your account name, password, or associated email address on an existing account, You must create a new account"
                        on both the manual, and readme file, at the "creating a profile" section (at the beggining!!)

Maybe i take a certain level of common sense for granted, but i would never have dreamed about tagging up my ORIGINAL PLAYER NAME with a clan tag, wasnt it obvious it could cause a problem even if you couldnt be bothered to read the manual OR readme OR web pages OR fan sites OR this forum OR used some common sense

And i disagree, i say that most "NORMAL" games track by username, that is games that use persistant stat tracking like this one.

Also you dont have to make a new account when you join a clan, you can either use the tag prefix system they added (which they told us they were adding after less then a week of release date, so you could have made your new account then, after realising YOUR mistake) OR simply do what other people do and play UN-Tagged for clan matches, you only have to enter your username with most ladders/leagues.

I am also one of those people that PREFER it this way, as mentioned above its much easier to track (kick and ban) ban people with this method, with the "old way" of doing it allowing name changing (ie HL2) its sometime impossible to ban people quickly, there are actually name changing programs, that change their name regularly and with long character strings hard to replicate.

Comment

Originally posted by Teaves
                          True, but i have no sympathy for people that used there clan tag when they first regged either, OK for NEW gamers, this being there first game online maybe, but for everyone else WHY didnt you simply use your name without tags in the first place?? Surely its obvious you wont be in the same clan forever and it was VERY clearly written on both the manual, and readme file, at the "creating a profile" section (at the beggining!!)

Maybe i take a certain level of common sense for granted, but i would never have dreamed about tagging up my ORIGINAL PLAYER NAME with a clan tag, wasnt it obvious it could cause a problem even if you couldnt be bothered to read the manual OR readme OR web pages OR fan sites OR this forum OR used some common sense

And i disagree, i say that most "NORMAL" games track by username, that is games that use persistant stat tracking like this one.

Also you dont have to make a new account when you join a clan, you can either use the tag prefix system they added (which they told us they were adding after less then a week of release date, so you could have made your new account then, after realising YOUR mistake) OR simply do what other people do and play UN-Tagged for clan matches, you only have to enter your username with most ladders/leagues.

I am also one of those people that PREFER it this way, as mentioned above its much easier to track (kick and ban) ban people with this method, with the "old way" of doing it allowing name changing (ie HL2) its sometime impossible to ban people quickly, there are actually name changing programs, that change their name regularly and with long character strings hard to replicate.
                          Ok, let me first point out there isn't a single professionally created application that tracks by username. This isn't how application development works. In BF2, every players gets a player id number (PID).

When you ban someone, you ban them by their ID. So, in the database, it displays that a certain ID is banned, not a username.

Setting an ID as the primary key (or table index, or w/e depending on the RDBMS being used) is called indexing, which is done by all relational databases to process data alot faster. You can index by strings, but things will run much slower if you do this.

Again, I say, this means that if you ban player JoeShmoe .. if that player changes his name to ShmoeJoe, he will still be banned.

Yes, now they have a prefix. Great. But it wasn't added upon release, that's the problem. Not everyone visits forums or reads their site.

Keep in mind, I didn't put any tags in front of my name because I knew better. So did you. But some people don't.

I personally hate it when application developers depend on "common sense" of the user.. especially when it comes to issues such as this. Yes, there are things that are extremely simple and people just need to know it. There is a standard for these things.

Asking users to assume that they cannot change their username is just a case of you believing that everyone should think like you. Hell, I was quite surprised that you thought these things are ever tracked by username in the back end. For me, it's "common sense" that things can't be indexed by username. Then again, I've been working in this field for years now -- so my perception of "common sense" is different from yours.

The day you guys realize there is no such thing as "common sense"... there is only "makes sense"... you will understand more why so many people are complaining about this game than it's predecessors.

Comment

Right ok, i get the point, i am stupid for adding tags to my name before the prefix. but the prefix wasnt a week away if u recall, it was far longer. My husband has just left the clan and had to start with a new name , i amjust surprised that it wasnt like bf1942 it was easy and showed all the names u have used with the account.

anyway thanks

Comment

Ignore Teaves... He's never been this close to a girl before so he gets a little nervous. The most comfortable way for him to deal with it is to lash out in anger.

Comment

Working...
                              X