Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't mix BF2 and SF on 1 server? I thought this was an 'Expansion"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't mix BF2 and SF on 1 server? I thought this was an 'Expansion"?

I have played other games with expansion packs that joined the two quite well. Either A. There would be automatic filters that would only show the servers you were compatible with in the server browser or B. When you attemp to join a server it would tell you that you don't have the correct maps, software level, etc. to play and you would go back to the server browser. Even if they changed from an original BF2 map to an SF map it could very easily kick the ones that do not have the map with a message. It would be very easy to implement and is just another blunder on EA's part.

Comment

None of the expansion packs for BF have ever mix them between the servers for the reason many have pointed out, if you don't hav ethe game then you won't be able to play half the map the server runs.

Comment

Its not just a matter of being able to only play half the maps, thats what I wanted to do have both BF2 and SF maps loaded. You cannot have both maps loaded on the server together period. Sux

Comment

WHY? here ..I ll let U all in on a little secret.
          Ssssshhhhhh ...dont tell enyone..K?
          EA is greedy.......

Comment

didnt i already post a thread like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Teaves
              You can use either CD for either game actually so theres no need to mount both images, i have been playing BF2 original with my Special Forces CD in the drive.
              and i've been playing it with the BF2 Mini image. I hate to start a game, and then hear the drive spinning up and waiting another 5 seconds for the dam thing to spin. It takes long enough joining from ASE as it is, lol.

Comment

what needs to be done is those who have SF can only play on a SF server which can also host BF2 Maps. If you dont have SF you wont even be able to join the server whatsoever. This is how every other game that has its own expansion works. The way DICE/EA has this set up its NOT and expansion. Why call it that when its not!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerGhost
                  This is what I complained about from the first few months I heard they were making Special Forces. I felt it would break the community apart and cost clans and other companies that provide BF2 servers 'DOUBLE' what they pay now, in order to support BF2 and BF2:SF. I guess it's all for money. However World of WarCraft has Expansion packs that merge 100% with the original product online and World of WarCraft has sold more copies and has made more money then BF2:SF ever will lol. goes to show EA is stupid. A good product will make you more money not more expansions.

First of all, you shouldn't compare WoW with BF2. Not the same type of game, not the same type of game paradigm. WoW is an entire world for people to roam in, it would make more sense that addons for WoW all get integeated into the world. BF2 is not an online world, it's simply just an FPS. SF, for all intents and purposes is a different game from BF2. It just uses the BF2 infrastructure to present a modified version of the game. It is not BF2. Nobody is forcing anyone to run SF servers. All these clans you're so worried about aren't being forced into anything.

Comment

EA is lazy. They could only have copied the original maps to the xpack map folder, and then most problems should be solved....

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs
                      Its not just a matter of being able to only play half the maps, thats what I wanted to do have both BF2 and SF maps loaded. You cannot have both maps loaded on the server together period. Sux

In fact you CAN have both (BF2 and SF maps) on one single game server!

I tested it myself on our server, it's easy!
                      Just copy BF2 levels to xpack levels and make NEW maplist.con (that will have both maps from BF2 and SF) in xpack!

Server will auto-switch mods or I don't know how it's doing but it is working properly.

What the real problem then ?
                      Well...
                      Clients/players must do the same! (add BF2 mod levels to SF mod levels)
                      ....or they will face "you don't have map" problem...

Comment

Originally posted by Teaves
                        You can use either CD for either game actually so theres no need to mount both images, i have been playing BF2 original with my Special Forces CD in the drive.
                        Everytime I try that the game crashes! Use to do that in BF42 with RtR and SW expansions, but I get a solid black screen and I'm dead.

Its okay really, as I've played all the SF maps and besides 2 or 3, they pretty much suck. Night maps sound like a good idea, but IMO they just don't work out very well.

Comment

Originally posted by distance

Just copy BF2 levels to xpack levels and make NEW maplist.con (that will have both maps from BF2 and SF) in xpack!

Server will auto-switch mods or I don't know how it's doing but it is working properly.

Well...
                          Thats good to know, is that a ranked server you tried it on as well?? If so that 100% confirms it, if not then hopefully its the same for both.

Originally posted by BriscoCnty
                          Everytime I try that the game crashes! Use to do that in BF42 with RtR and SW expansions, but I get a solid black screen and I'm dead.
                          Oh thats weird, it works fine for me, i havent taken the SF CD out since installing it a on release day and have played vanilla BF2 many times since then

Comment

The whole program was horribly thought out.. Ive always considered any
                            program that goes to desktop to switch to a differant mode a horribly
                            written piece of code. Not seamless at all.. Other games incorporate
                            their exp. packs into the original game, adding new menu items, etc etc,
                            but not EA. Im guessing that in order to force more purchases of their
                            junky products they needed to make it this way..

The whole game is a joke, imo. I took my expansion pack back after the
                            first failed attempt to join a server, and then having it tell me my password
                            was wrong 6 straight times, even though I knew it wasnt wrong.. Im
                            just not going to fiddle troubleshooting their lousy games 1 second longer.

I'll wait until I see EA games on file sharing networks and download them for
                            free from now on.. never will I pay EA another dime.

Comment

Originally posted by distance

Well...
                              Yeh, I knew this worked and this is all fine and dandy for our clan guys, but totally unfair on any pubs playing on the server. I s'pose I could make people aware that if they wanted to play on the server with all maps they needed to do this, but to be truthful I think most people couldnt be stuffed going to all the trouble. Its just a shame they didnt incorporate it an easier way.

Comment

This is also my complaint which i cant understand why they didnt do this. It simple doesnt make any sense at all and would think it would be more cost effective in the short term and long run as it has to do with people buying two servers, just doesnt make sense! It is complete nonsense to force people to buy two servers or choose between BF2 and SF as it relates to whcih server to have and run.

Titus

Comment

Working...
                                X