ATI people - Performance Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI people - Performance Issues

There are several thread about Nvidia drivers but I wanted to get some ATI people in here.

Issue:

Severe performance slow down (FPS) indoors, amplified with more people in room

Specs:

A64 3000+ (OC to 3400+)
    x800XL 256 (5.11 drivers)
    1.5GB Ram

Original Settings:
    -1280X1024X85, Everything medium (except texture = high), 4XAA

These worked totally fine in vanilla BF2

Reduced Settings: Same res, medium, 2XAA

I haven't extensively tried this yet, but I wanted to know if anyone with a similar setup as fixed this issue .

If it is still choppy, which settings can I turn to LOW without making the game look like ass OR hindering my gameplay

Thanks all!

Re: ATI people - Performance Issues

Hmm.. well i got

2.4ghz
    9550 256mb (lastest drivers)
    1gig RAM

And i have no probs what so ever.

Comment

same settings with vanilla bf2 results in lower fps in spec ops

AMD 64 3500
      x800xt pe w 5.11 cats
      2gb RAM
      Asus AV8 Mobo

Comment

Seems the players already using low or medium settings arent having the troubles..

Im using everything ultra + 6x aa and its smooth on every map other than iron gator. Its still very playable but while in the ship I can notice a dip of frames. Please! i hope this gets fixed.

Comment

I'm running P3.4, ATI X800 XT, 2G RAM with the following

VideoSettings.setTerrainQuality 2
          VideoSettings.setGeometryQuality 2
          VideoSettings.setLightingQuality 1
          VideoSettings.setDynamicLightingQuality 2
          VideoSettings.setDynamicShadowsQuality 1
          VideoSettings.setEffectsQuality 2
          VideoSettings.setTextureQuality 3
          VideoSettings.setTextureFilteringQuality 2
          VideoSettings.setResolution 1600x1200@60Hz
          VideoSettings.setAntialiasing 2Samples
          VideoSettings.setViewDistanceScale 1
          VideoSettings.setVideoOptionScheme 3

And it seems to work okay. 6X AA made it unplayable. Iron Gator was the worst (near the ship) - same as for wbcninja.

Comment

X800XL here, I have the Omega 5.10 drivers. I fear updating to the 5.11 drivers but Iron Gator has been the most obvious map in terms of drop in FPS.

Comment

x800 just dwnloaded a new driver because my graphics were SCREWED up

Comment

Radeon 9800
                3.00 GHz
                1 gb of ram

I have my settings at medium, except for 2x AA and dynamic shadows off, and i get like 20 to 30 fps. All skippy and gay

Comment

One thing I wonder about, is that when everyone gives their stats and talks about fps, are they usually talking about online multi-play? So far, I haven't played online because I've been working on optimizing my computer. I use single player mode as my basis. I average 40-45 fps in Dalean Plant regardless of how many bots I have (have used a bot mod to insert 140 and still smooth). After installing Special Forces, it seemed like I had a severe peformance hit in vanilla BF2, so yesterday I uninstalled everything (including all mods), reinstalled BF2 and then made a copy of the folder, moved it to EA Games/backup/battlefield 2 and made it read only. Then I installed Special Forces with the 1.1 patch only (so far). Then I made shortcuts to both executables. I discovered that moving the Special Forces affected folder didn't make the shortcut fail. In fact, after it searches and finds the folder, it changes the target. But the unchanged BF2 folder (eagames/backup/battlefield2) maintained it's target. I tried to do the same exact actions in both games (jump in the buggy without any other riders, speed to the oceanside flag, capture, get in the heli, crash into one of the two center cooling towers (for explosion effect).

At first I thought I noticed an fps difference. But after playing the levels between the two executables a couple times, I realized that the difference was minimal. I haven't done the new patch yet.

I definately can't play with these specs in Special Forces though. I'm averaging 15-20fps capping at around 35. I'm going to make a copy of the 1.1patched folder so that I can see if there's a difference between it and the newest 1.12.

To be honest though, I still don't have a review because I'm stuck on fixing my peformance issue before actually playing Special Forces. I was so happy that my cpu overclock freed up my videocard to do it's work, that dropping back to where I could no longer play at everything high was depressing. I'm almost certain that my computer can handle Special Forces in the same settings, so I won't rest until I figure out how to do it.

Comment

Forgot something: Reason I asked the first rhetorical question, was because I experience different peformance based on the map, map size, number of bots, etc. I've been using a bot changer to play against just one bot to practice for lan play at home with a friend. Generally speaking, I use 64player sized maps and get an average of 40fps. But when I went to play FuShee 64map with 1 bot yesterday, I got between 9-15fps. I have nothing to compare it to because thats the first time I played with those settings. That's why I'm hoping that these folder copies can fairly accurately show the different performance hits between patches.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Neb
                      i get like 20 to 30 fps. All skippy and gay
                      Haha, I always play BF2 at 20-25 FPS, never had a problem blowing people away.

Comment

Athlon64 2.6ghz, 2GB, X800XL, Cat 5.11

45 fps average with vanilla BF2.

30 fps average (as low as 15) with SF.

Exact same graphics settings.

Comment

P4 3.2 HT
                          2gb 3200
                          x800xl 5.11 drivers

1600x1200
                          All med+texture high

No noticeable performance loss for me.

Comment

I have:

2.6ghz intel (HT)
                            x800XL apg8x
                            1.3gb ram

and special drivers =)

works great at medium high, average 60fps

Comment

By "special" drivers I assume you mean Omega drivers?

Comment

Working...
                              X