The Real USS Essex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real USS Essex

As we all know (I hope), the Carrier in Battlefield 2 is called the USS Essex. I was suddenly gripped only moments ago by the urge to find out if the ship actually existed... and guess what?

It does.

ESSEX is the second ship in the all new WASP (LHD 1) class of multipurpose amphibious assault ships and she is the fifth ship of the Navy to bear the name.

Awarded: September 10, 1986
    Keel laid: March 20, 1989
    Launched: February 23, 1991
    Commissioned: October 17, 1992

Builder: Ingalls Shipbuilding , West Bank, Pascagoula, Miss.

Propulsion system: two boilers, two geared turbines
    Propellers: two

Aircraft elevators: two

Length: 840 feet (256 meters)
    Flight Deck Width: 140 feet (42.6 meters)
    Beam: 106 feet (32,.3 meters)
    Draft: 26,5 feet (8.1 meters)

Displacement: approx. 40,500 tons full load

Speed: 23 knots

Crew:
    Ship: 73 officers, 1,009 enlisted
    Marine Detachment: 1,894

Armament: two Mk-29 NATO Sea Sparrow launchers, two 20mm Phalanx CIWS, eight Mk-33 .50 cal. machine guns, two Rolling Airframe Missile Systems

Cost: approx. $403 million

Homeport: Sasebo, Japan
    So what can we deduce from this?

The Battlefield 2 Version is very true to real life, it looks identical, with the 2s painted on the side and the rest. The Elevators are positioned correctly (but don't actually do anything, be nice if they did)

The AA guns are in the correct position and the fore gun is exact and the right way round. (missile launcher and gun aren't swapped or anything).
    The masts are correct. The whole proportion and size of the ship is pretty damn close, maybe the runway is a bit too short in-game.

interesting point: the ship is stationed at Sasebo, Japan... which happens to be very close to china... (but not so close to the Middle East )

More Random and Generally Useless Information:
    History of USS ESSEX:

After commissioning the ESSEX departed San Diego on her maiden deployment on October 25, 1994 during which, was a major participant in the withdrawal of the Multinational force from Somalia in Operation United Shield.

On its second deployment the ship and embarked 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit participated in Operation Southern Watch/ Exercise; Eager Mace off the coast of Kuwait and Exercise; Tandem Thrust off the coast of Australia.

In July 2000, ESSEX took part in the Navy's largest crew swap to date when she arrived in Sasebo, Japan to relieve the USS BELLEAU WOOD (LHA 3) which was forward deployed to Sasebo since the fall of 1992.
    The swap was part of a planned rotation of forward deployed naval forces in Japan, and was the third crew-swap exchange. The ships’ crews simply switched ships, minimizing the impact of moving families from homeport to homeport. Sailors in Sasebo assigned to USS BELLEAU WOOD, moved on to ESSEX, while Sailors from San Diego assigned to ESSEX moved aboard BELLEAU WOOD. BELLEAU WOOD and the San Diego-based crew then returned to San Diego in mid-August to begin overhaul and maintenance cycles.

USS ESSEX is the 5th ship to bear the name dating back to the frigate which was launched in Salem, Mass. on September 30, 1799.

I hope this is just another step in looking at how realistic and true to life the weapons and equipment are in BF2. Anyone who found this piece remotely interesting, you can find all this information and a heck of a lot more HERE.
    Please, if you wish to reply, at least compliment me on my random information , or discuss the topic.

Do any of you serve in the Navy? (Not just US, any country) Can you tell me anymore information on some of the stats above (such as Awarded
    Keel laid, Launched, Commissioned mean, anything really).

Or in fact did any of you actually serve on the Essex, or are you still serving? Do any of you know the ship in some way?

Well, thanks for reading. Thats another random report from Fullforce.

note: This post was fueled by sheer boredom, curiousity and the fact i live in Essex, UK

Re: The Real USS Essex

Some more images and information on the Essex:

Location of Sasebo, Japan:

The LHD (Essex is the LHD2)

Read more about the WASP/LHD here

I can see the plane whores from here!

See, they TKed for the planes and now are being punished.

More TKers being punished.
    notice the big 2 and "Beware of Jet Blast and Rotors" both feature on the ingame Essex.

Ha, look at those Chopper noobs. GET SOME PRACTICE FIRST!!!

Comment

it has a 2, bf2 has a 2. ergo: bf2 is a simulator! TAKE THAT BUNNYHOPPERS!

Comment

You sure scare me Glasseye.

This is a bump in disguise.

Comment

when i saw nobody had replied to your thread after all the effort you put in, i felt sad.

ESSEX GIRLS WOOO!

Comment

thanks glasseye...i appreciate it.

Essex Girls are alright....not great. depends.

Comment

Sorry, but that ship isn't even close. There's no UAV trailer on the deck!

Comment

i kno. what are the sppeciaal forces guys who parachute in gonna blow up!?!?!?!? lol. that was pretty interesting btw.

Comment

my pleasure. i love delivering random useless information, as long as *someone* likes it. thanks.

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Interesting. I notice a complete lack of helicopters in BF2 though... "ooooo a blackhawk or two, yay!"

Comment

great thread.....

And glasseye, I took my BB gun out back and managed to bunny hop across the whole yard, pegging tin cans at will..!!! :O

Comment

Originally posted by Hulka
                          Sorry, but that ship isn't even close. There's no UAV trailer on the deck!
                          The UAV and SAT are not on the USS ESSEX on the 64 player Dragon Valley map

Oh and people need to stop calling them Carriers...they are Amphibious Assault Ships

And the USA has a whole boat load of em check out the US Navy Fact File

Comment

Originally posted by The_Misfit
                            great thread.....

And glasseye, I took my BB gun out back and managed to bunny hop across the whole yard, pegging tin cans at will..!!! :O
                            ROFLOL

Comment

Originally posted by Fu11force

So what can we deduce from this?
                              that its missing

eight Mk33 .50 cal. machine guns

also i believe the
                              Phalanx, or cwiz, whatever you wanna call it,
                              is not manned but rather radar guided.
                              i could be wrong about that though, i know on the battleships the cwiz is radar guided

Comment

Working...
                              X