Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Going to buy a computer

Originally posted by Psycho
    I'm glad you said used, otherwise give up your job, alienware are a complete rip off you can get a computer just as good, custom built for you via a website and you will have some kind of custormer support.
    Meh.
    My personal experiance seems to differ from yours.
    I had a friend who bought an Alienware rig and was hella pleased with the customer support. He had a fan fry out and they replaced it for him within 2 days.

I also don't know where this guy lives, so it's hard to make any good recomendations on local shops. Overall, I much preffer to deal with someplace down the street and the little shops usually offer up the best deals.

As I say... I was making that recomendation based on no knowladge of the customer. If he's a comp noob, then he's better off going overpriced with better support than doing a custom job that may give him headaches.

Side note: you REALLY have to watch it when you deal with some companies. A place that I'll not name but used to work for fried out 4 counterfit Asus motherboards during warm tests before the owner came into the shop and demanded that we "Stop testing, start installing".
    I ended up getting an "enhanced" severance check when I quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
      Actually... I used to build custom rigs for people for a living.
      I recomend Alienware to people I don't know, 'cause their customer service and quality is really high. These are important aspects for people who aren't hardware savie.

Yeah, you can get cheeper, but you can also get headaches.

Alienware would charge ~$2000 for a comp I could build for $1200. If you have money like that to spend, and dont have any computer experience, than go for the alienware. Otherwise its a huge rip off

Comment

Originally posted by DaSniper079
        Alienware would charge ~$2000 for a comp I could build for $1200. If you have money like that to spend, and dont have any computer experience, than go for the alienware. Otherwise its a huge rip off
        Yes, that was my point, there was a $1000 alienware that i found all the componets for, for like $650 and add some extras it would only equal about $800.

Comment

I have to agree with the poster who said buy an Alienware. It his most likely his first computer, so it would be his best bet to let someone else build it for him, and when he gets more knowledgeable about computers, he can then start to custom build them.

I have found..

Shop iBUYPOWER for your gaming pc needs. Choose from our pre-built RDY computers or use our custom pc builder tool today.

to have very good deals.

This is what I would recommend to you..

AMD 3000 processor
          1 gig RAM
          GeForce 6800 GT

You could almost pull off completely high with that, all high if you got 1.5 gigs of ram.

Comment

Working...
          X