Leave planes alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave planes alone

I'm a little sick of all the "argh I hate planez" rants here. FFS the appeal of BF2 is it's combined arms nature. Land, air & sea. Planes are good in capable hands which is as they should be - they have been a dominant (though not be-all-end-all) force in warfare for decades now - so nerfing them would only serve to drag BF2 down to the same level as many other "realism" FPS games.

I get the impression the those people crying about planes the most are those who can't fly them. To those, three words. BUY A JOYSTICK. Give it a go with a joystick and it's much more fun and shows how skillful pilots need to be.

Still, a lot of you won't/can't do that. Instead, try to take them on your own terms. Chances are as infantry you will be fine - planes have trouble spotting people on the ground - so unless you cap a flag by actually sitting on it you should be relatively safe. Vehicles are another question as planes can spot them with ease. In these cases, try to use terrain to your advantage to make sure you are shielded from bombing runs. A tank sitting in the open is an easy and tempting target. A tank sheltered by a hillock can only be hit from one direction and even then the pilot runs the risk of crashing after bombing.

Also, use smoke and if you see a plane circling, get out the vehicle if you can - the pilot will usually miss the stationary (and naturally camoflagued) tank and aim for the smoke instead.

Seriously, the weapons in the game are only as good as the people using them so learn how to take them on at your own terms and you will win. After all, you wouldn't rush at an assault trooper just holding your wrench would you?

(If you do, it explains a lot)

Re: Leave planes alone

Another tip - if your team is at the mercy of a great enemy pilot, go Spec Ops and sneak into their base. Plant C4 on the UAV trailer and around the entrance to the hanger.

When the pilot dies (which they ALWAYS do at some point) they will run back for their plane. Blow them up before they get there, steal their plane and give them some payback. You also have the satisfaction of having helped out by destroying assets.

Comment

problems:

1) if your team doesn't have a decent pilot, you're all as good as dead. whereas just having a good man on foot on the enemy team isn't 'game over' for you.

2) if you sneak into the enemy base, kill them and steal the plane, you'll be kicked for baseraping on many servers (even though it is a valid, reasonable and sensible tactic...)

3) "When the pilot dies (which the ALWAYS do at some point)" Wrong. I frequently see good pilots survive the whole round.

The main complaint is this: for everything in the game, there is a counter. But the only counter to planes are more planes.

Comment

The main complaint is this: for everything in the game, there is a counter. But the only counter to planes are more planes.
        Thats only beacuse EA havnt fixed the AA properly/at all, depending on who you talk to.

Comment

My problem isn't with the planes, I love them - it's with the crapshoot AA. IMO if an enemy plane gets too close to the "carrier", it should run a very real and tangible risk of being blown out of the sky. As it is now, enemy planes can just circle the "carrier" to their heart's content, as long as they can keep jets from lifting off.

Comment

Sure it ****es me off when I'm repeatedly killed by a good pilot and I'm left wondering what my team's pilots are doing.

But just remember the old adage -- it takes boots on the ground to win the war. You can have the best air force in the world, but it takes a grunt shoving a knife in the bad guy's guts to win.

Comment

Personally I do not see a problem with the planes... well other then I suck at flying them

I also feel that if people are going to complain they should also post there playing time and scores... This way we can have an idea of the background and game history they have in which they are basing this complaint upon... in other words credentials

Comment

i think the AA was better before

Comment

i think the AA was better before.
                  I'll second that.

Comment

Originally posted by papi4baby
                    i think the AA was better before
                    Thirded

Comment

Originally posted by Ind1go
                      When the pilot dies (which they ALWAYS do at some point) ...
                      No, they won't always die man.

Comment

Originally posted by Ind1go
                        Another tip - if your team is at the mercy of a great enemy pilot, go Spec Ops and sneak into their base. Plant C4 on the UAV trailer and around the entrance to the hanger.

When the pilot dies (which they ALWAYS do at some point) they will run back for their plane. Blow them up before they get there, steal their plane and give them some payback. You also have the satisfaction of having helped out by destroying assets.
                        I just love sneaking over to the enemy hanger and C-4 ing the planes.

Comment

Or instead of C4ing the planes, steal em... Then they'll have nothing to fly and you'll have 4 planes in the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by Lasher Dragon
                            Thirded
                            I agree too, the AA is definitely worse

still can't take out jets at all and now can't even hurt choppers much, you're actually better off with the anti-tank - and that is bloody stupid

Comment

still can't take out jets at all and now can't even hurt choppers much, you're actually better off with the anti-tank - and that is bloody stupid.
                              Sad but true.

Comment

Working...
                              X