Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TFT Vs CRT

TFT
    Short for thin film transistor, a type of LCD flat-panel display screen, in which each pixel is controlled by from one to four transistors. The TFT technology provides the best resolution of all the flat-panel techniques, but it is also the most expensive. TFT screens are sometimes called active-matrix LCDs.

CRT
    Abbreviation of cathode-ray tube, the technology used in most televisions and computer display screens. A CRT works by moving an electron beam back and forth across the back of the screen. Each time the beam makes a pass across the screen, it lights up phosphor dots on the inside of the glass tube, thereby illuminating the active portions of the screen. By drawing many such lines from the top to the bottom of the screen, it creates an entire screenful of images.

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfKhaos
      TFT
      Short for thin film transistor, a type of LCD flat-panel display screen, in which each pixel is controlled by from one to four transistors. The TFT technology provides the best resolution of all the flat-panel techniques, but it is also the most expensive. TFT screens are sometimes called active-matrix LCDs.

CRT
      Abbreviation of cathode-ray tube, the technology used in most televisions and computer display screens. A CRT works by moving an electron beam back and forth across the back of the screen. Each time the beam makes a pass across the screen, it lights up phosphor dots on the inside of the glass tube, thereby illuminating the active portions of the screen. By drawing many such lines from the top to the bottom of the screen, it creates an entire screenful of images.
      Thanks for the copy and paste...that really clears it all up....

Comment

Originally posted by MyPCBeatupurXbox
        Why would yo want to, a TFT looks much better than a CRT and HZ doesnt mean jack **** to a TFT, its LIQUID dude.

I used to think the same thing about CRT's, then I got a sweet TFT because my Viewsonic went IED on me. 30 more seconds and that sucker would have been a part of me.

Near perfect picture quality TFTs are free from many causes of distortion often seen on CRT monitors (such as geometric and moiré distortion).

You cant compare TFT's to CRTs by HZ , or resolution. TFT's with a DVI connection blow CRT's out of the water.

Whats this blur folks keep speaking of, 12+MSer's? I got 8 and have no problems with blur at 1280 1024.

Ill never touch a foul CRT again, I can bareley view them for longer than a min or two. All flickery, and dull, no way, once you go TFT you dont go back.....if you get a good one. Mine cost 219 bucks afte rebates.

What if you start experiecing tearing/ghosting on the LCD and to prevent it you use v-sync.
        V-sync looks only at Hz, an doens't care about your response rate of your LCD monitor. You would be limited by the Hz of the LCD anyway and on LCDs they are often low meaning lower FPS than you would be albe to get on a CRT.

That is why CRTs with high refresh rates + v-sync could get a better image, e.g 100 FPS instead of 60FPS (this assuming a scenario where v-sync would have to be enabled).

I would love to have a LCD but since the widescreen versions available are in the 16ms range this really isn't an option IMO, when they get closer to CRT standards by lowering their response rate I would consider it, but for the moment I would stick to my 22" CRT.

If I was getting a new one and had no choice I would try the Dell 20" widescreen LCDs, or maybe a regular aspect ratio LCD if, and only if, the resolution could go above 1600x1200, anything less like 1280x1024 and the desktop would have a far too little area.

Comment

Working...
        X