1 GB micron pc3200 RAM
    80GB 7200 rpm Seagate HD
    sb live 5.1
    5.1 speakers

I currently run at:
    800x600 no aa/af
    everything high except dynamic lights off and shadows low
    software sound at medium quality

With these settings I can get consistently smooth framerates and decent graphics aside from a few stray jaggies which I have gotten used to for the most part. I am wondering which component would most benefit from an upgrade and give me the most improved performance,

Re: Which to upgrade first?

The best performance boost for you will come in the form of an AMD socket 939 motherboard and CPU.

Comment

Nah, the CPU's good enough, it won't bottleneck more than like 2 fps. If your hard drive is jam packed then you might need a new one. Other than that, you need a new AGp vid card, like a 6600GT AGP.

Comment

My 9700 Pro averages 80 FPS only because I have a decent CPU and motherboard. The performance ratio between the vid cards you mentiond are far less than the performance difference generated by an AMD 64 based system.

Comment

80 fps on a 9700?!? at what res and settings?
          "Crunch's First Officer"
          twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus
            My 9700 Pro averages 80 FPS only because I have a decent CPU and motherboard. The performance ratio between the vid cards you mentiond are far less than the performance difference generated by an AMD 64 based system.
            No, seriously between a FX-57 and his processor, at max difference would be about 10 fps, CPU's don't matter too much for games, GPUs do though.

Comment

Originally posted by signa
              80 fps on a 9700?!? at what res and settings?
              My game settings:

1152x864@85MHz
              Geometry High; Sound High; AA, Dynamic Shadows and Dynamic Lights off; All else is on medium.

FRAPS LOG
              2005-06-30 20:08:36 -
              Frames: 4234 - Time: 51866ms - Avg: 81.633 - Min: 61 - Max: 97

2005-07-01 21:43:57 -
              Frames: 4341 - Time: 54341ms - Avg: 79.884 - Min: 63 - Max: 92
              This is running on an AGP based system:
              ATI 9700 Pro (OC @411/333)
              AMD 3500+ (OC @2.5Ghz)
              ASUS A8V Deluxe Rev. 2
              1024MB of Corsair PC3200XL (2-2-2-5)
              Audigy 2 ZS

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy01741
                No, seriously between a FX-57 and his processor, at max difference would be about 10 fps, CPU's don't matter too much for games, GPUs do though.
                I understand that there is a great deal of misinformation out there but my results speak for themselves. I am confident of my statement and stand by it. To google CPU to GPU performance ratios or CPU gaming dependency should reveal some results for anyone to study should they wish.

Comment

Oh by the way, my hard drive is 120GB ATA100. Not 80 GB. Thanks for your opinions, even though they seem to be completely oppoosite. lol. Its an athlon XP if you didnt guess that. If I were to upgrade my mobo, could I my current RAM? It is dual channel pc3200, and with my 200mhz FSB clock its not really running at its full capacity.

Thanks

Comment

Your RAM would not only run at full capacity but it would be able to stretch its legs because of the on-chip, dual channel memory controller within the AMD 64 S939 platform.

Additionally, your entire PC would benefit from the upgrade and not just your gaming performance.

Eddy01741 is correct that BF2 really loves a powerful video card but you asked about getting the best bang for the buck.

Comment

Originally posted by leebo
                      Oh by the way, my hard drive is 120GB ATA100. Not 80 GB. Thanks for your opinions, even though they seem to be completely oppoosite. lol. Its an athlon XP if you didnt guess that. If I were to upgrade my mobo, could I my current RAM? It is dual channel pc3200, and with my 200mhz FSB clock its not really running at its full capacity.

Thanks
                      Yah definately upgrade your mobo. Possibly get an PCIx mobo and a videocard! What's your budget by the way?

Comment

I would go with 1 gb ram, that my opinion. The motherboard you need to look at, coming out soon, is the ATI Crossfire motherboard for dual cards coming end of year any upgrade of another MB is wasting money!

Comment

Originally posted by idash
                          I would go with 1 gb ram, that my opinion. The motherboard you need to look at, coming out soon, is the ATI Crossfire motherboard for dual cards coming end of year any upgrade of another MB is wasting money!
                          ATi crossfire should also give Nvidia good competition. Just hold off and save some money!

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus
                            this is not possible - 80 fps
                            are you sure you are measuring your fps, not your CPU usage?
                            I have the 9800 pro = all settings low or off
                            and get 45 fps when lucky
                            rest of system is just fine

Comment

better noticable differnence???
                              better graphics card !!!!
                              I have 9800 pro on one sytem and x800xl on the other
                              like NITE and DAY

Comment

Working...
                              X