Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever wanted to be able to talk via mic to the guy in your APC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever wanted to be able to talk via mic to the guy in your APC?

Now you may be able too with the X-fi..according to the Creative site:

"EAX® Voice allows you to literally become part of the game! Using a microphone connected to an EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compliant audio device in any game title, you can speak and hear your voice with the same effects as the environment your character is in. Furthermore if the game title supports 3D Voice Over IP then other players in the game will be able to hear your voice as you do and coming from the correct direction! But be careful, this effect is so realistic if you talk too loud your enemies will hear you. Add Multi-Environment® supports and they'll even know exactly which room you're hiding in!

EAX® Voice works by feeding the microphone input into the EAX® hardware effects engine and at that point becomes another gaming sound element which you can hear. It is then transmitted along with the environment properties over the LAN (3D Voice Over IP not currently supported over internet connections) and when it reaches another players PC system their EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compliant card translates the environment properties and adds them to your voice in real-time! In order for this feature to work the game must support the 3D voice transmission and EAX® ADVANCED HD™ 4.0 or above."

The Sound Blaster product range has an audio upgrade solution – internal and external—for every setup. Don’t stop at stunning visuals. Redefine your audio experience with Sound Blaster.

Sounds nice.

I bet BF2 does NOT support 3D voice transmission.

Sounds nice in theory...but I think it will be a while before we see it working well in action.

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
      I bet BF2 does NOT support 3D voice transmission.

Sounds nice in theory...but I think it will be a while before we see it working well in action.
      bf2 is one of the first games that has X-Fi support ahead of time :S

Comment

But X-Fi support does not necessarily imply 3D voice support

The BF series has a sketchy record for hardware support.

Comment

It would be awesome to talk to people in game..making BF2 like an MMORPG of sorts.

I can't wait for X-fi..it looks very promising.

Comment

Now that I hear about this feature, I may actually buy one of these if the price comes down.

Comment

Given that in BFV the EAX support didn't work properly (a technology thats been around for a few years?) I wouldn't hold out hope that this 3D sound support would work for a while yet on the BF series.

Comment

I does sound fairly revolutioary as far as team based combat goes; you'd be suprised how much difference being able to hear someone's voice makes to teamplay. They're suddenly a real person, which a lot of people seem to ignore online.

However i hope it comes with a 'Stick your fingers in your ears' button so I don't have to listen to an argument between 2 squad members in an APC, for example.

Comment

At first I was skeptical about this new x-fi card too, especially given the price. I am one to ignore hype and just go by real world results. Going by what people have heard at demos like in Quakecon, and some previews, this looks like it will indeed by very big for sound.

I need the next step- reading user reviews when it is released, and buying it if it meets my criteria. Then I can tell if it was worth it or not! If not, you can always return it and invest that money into starting your own soundcard company. Or just get a hooker. I bid on the latter.

Comment

Here's an idea:

TeamSpeak

Comment

totally different concept

Comment

Originally posted by ShootToKill
                        Here's an idea:

TeamSpeak
                        Not the samething! This technology will allow you to hear the voice as if it was coming from the character in the game, blending in with the environment. This makes it feel more realistic then just plain ol' teamspeak.

Comment

Originally posted by ShootToKill
                          Here's an idea:

TeamSpeak

your missing the point. also, no games support 3d voice yet, u can find that statement on creatives main website. games with the unreal 3 engine will be the first to start supporting x-fi's 3d voice system.

Comment

I can hear it now.......Me.(whispering) "Pssst..Psssst.......Hey noob wheres the sniper at up there?" Noob (in a loud 13 year old squeaky voice) "WHAT SNIPER ?? I DONT SEE ANYONE, LOOK AT THE GUN I UNLOCKED, YOURS SUCKS.."

*BANG!!!!*

Me (whispering) "Thanks Noob I see where he is now......"

I could see it being usefull....

Comment

Shoot to kill?

If the retardedness of shoot to kills statement is an example of his brain power he most likely develops for ea aswell. Totally missed the idea of the whole freaking thread??????

Comment

Working...
                              X