Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuttering with high-end PC (PCI-E, so no AGP Aperture))

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuttering with high-end PC (PCI-E, so no AGP Aperture))

I`m getting very annoying stuttering, and what might seem like "lag". It`s so bad at times that I`ve crashed helis a few times. It`s the old turn around and it stutters. My specs are:
    Intel Centrino 2.0 ghz (about 3.4-3.6ghz pentium)
    1.25gb RAM
    Geforce 6800 Go Ultra.
    7200RPM 60gig HD.

I`m running it at 1600*1200 with everything at max except lighting which is at medium and no AA or AF. Looking at my specs and those of others I think I should be easily able to churp these settings with no stuttering. But it`s not.

So anyone got any tips on how to fix it?

And before you yell about AGP Aperture setting, remember that my card is PCI-Express and doesn`t have a setting for that in the BIOS, or any similar to my notice.

Urm

-Drivers?
    -Viruses?
    -Spyware?

could be anything man!

Comment

Defrag your hard drive (S)
      Scan for viruses trojans spyware adware
      Any programs running in the background IE Norton Mcafee etc etc.

Comment

I`m using the latest drivers.
        I have an up to date anti-virus prog that finds no viruses. (and one that isn`t a resource hog)
        I have checked for spyware.
        The HD is fully defragmented.
        CPU usage shows 0% for the most of the time. (not while playing of course).
        I don`t have a tendency to have lots of junk running.
        Other games work perfectly.

I`m thinking it`s this.

Any other takers though?

Comment

I know why. Your settings are far too high and this game strains computers even at high end. Tune everything down first and then work to find a balance.

Comment

Why are they far too high? I`ve seen lots of people with the same specs and they are running it smoothly. I`m also getting very smooth and high FPS, except when it is doing this stuttering. The stuttering also seems to get somewhat less the more I play.

But, sure; I think I`m going to try and use lesser settings and see if it helps.

my settings are far from "way" too high in any regards though.

Comment

It could be your internet, but I get the stuttering also. But, when I play single player the game doesn't stutter at all, it only does in multiplayer. Does anyone know why? I have Comcast Broadband so there shouldn't be an internet problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinseek
                Why are they far too high? I`ve seen lots of people with the same specs and they are running it smoothly. I`m also getting very smooth and high FPS, except when it is doing this stuttering. The stuttering also seems to get somewhat less the more I play.

But, sure; I think I`m going to try and use lesser settings and see if it helps.

I missread your CPU. Still...I don't trust it. Also...to run BF2 without a problem and shuttering, a full 1.5 or 2gb of ram is strongly recommended. Other than that, i'm not sure where the problem could be. Have you looked around for optimization tweaks?

I use comcast and its been flaky lately soo...

Comment

what kind of machines is that... Dell XPS laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by Umi.Ryuuzaki
                    I missread your CPU. Still...I don't trust it.
                    Don`t trust what?

Originally posted by Umi.Ryuuzaki
                    Also...to run BF2 without a problem and shuttering, a full 1.5 or 2gb of ram is strongly recommended. Other than that, i'm not sure where the problem could be. Have you looked around for optimization tweaks?
                    Yeah, I`ve heard people reporting that 2gig makes for a difference. Still; BF is hardly the uber-next-gen game that requires buttloads of hardware. Looking at the task-manager I never see it use more than 500-700mb of RAM, which is just half of what I got totally. Crappy coding is my conclusion.

I turned down the textures and I first imagined it would make a difference; but that could also be because I rebooted my machine and BF tends to run better at a clean booted machine. But at the next map-change it started to stutter a little again.

Originally posted by fripple
                    what kind of machines is that... Dell XPS laptop?
                    Yep, the Dell XPS 2.

Comment

ok funny how even bfv played 10x better when i went to 2 gigs, what a difference and i think cpu is a hunk of **** centrino is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinseek

They are too high because BF2 needs to use more system memory when you run highly detailed textures and 1.25 GB isn't enough to store it. That means BF2 has to use the harddrive more and you get stuttering. I have tested it with 1GB of memory on a really slim Windows only running the most nescessary services (14!) and as soon as I start to use any setting on high apart from (view distance, anti-aliasing and texture filtering) BF2 starts to use the harddrive.

Try running sound on medium, every graphic setting on medium apart from the ones I mentioned and see if the stuttering goes away.

Comment

Change to those settings and tell me if the stuttering goes away.

Comment

whats a 6800go ultra?
                            and you only have 1.25 and running at 1600x1200
                            you need at least 1.5 gigs of ram.

Comment

I think its the ram, 1.25 just isnt enough....

Comment

Working...
                              X