No announcement yet.

I LOL at snipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the bullets hit within a random circle around your cross hairs. The closer the target is the bigger it is within this circle and hence the less random your shot appears and the more accurate the gun appears. They refer to this as cone of accuracy.

The deviation values on each gun control the size of this circle so the higher the deviation the larger the circle and the bigger area there is for your random shot to land in.

Although this randomness sounds bad in reality it kind of model's real world inconsistency in shooting. I do think they need to change it though so the first shot is bang on target and after that the randomness kicks in which would be modeling the effects of recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by xocgx
      Yeah, I aplogize if I helped it go off topic (gasp! an apology on a forum post?!).
      don't worry, everyone has gone off-topic before.

anyways, i sometimes shoot them in the legs and they go down too...hmmm and they just respawned. is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by glaeken
        Well the bullets hit within a random circle around your cross hairs. The closer the target is the bigger it is within this circle and hence the less random your shot appears and the more accurate the gun appears. They refer to this as cone of accuracy.

The deviation values on each gun control the size of this circle so the higher the deviation the larger the circle and the bigger area there is for your random shot to land in.

Although this randomness sounds bad in reality it kind of model's real world inconsistency in shooting. I do think they need to change it though so the first shot is bang on target and after that the randomness kicks in which would be modeling the effects of recoil.
        They should eliminate the cone for the rifle when zoomed then...or make it SO minute that it is relevant only at like 500m+. Does anyone know the calculated deviations per weapon?

Comment

This link gives you the weapon deviation details.

It is tricky to equate that to exactly the size of the cone of fire though.

Comment

Too many whiners about this, don't read the damn posts if it gets off topic. Whenever a conversation gets good the thing gets locked cause of all the *****ing. You----> :cry:

Comment

you proably killed some noob testing out the sniper kit for the first time

Comment

Originally posted by glaeken
                This link gives you the weapon deviation details.

It is tricky to equate that to exactly the size of the cone of fire though.
                WOW, what a chart! So there has to be something else to this problem...if a zoomed rifle has .02 deviation vs .65, I want to know why this isn't really the case (in-game).

Comment

Well I don't know how accurate that chart is. I think some guy took the config files apart to put it together so in theory it should be dead right but really not having done it myself we are putting faith in the fact the guy got all the info correct.

Comment

The pistol is a small sniper rifle. It's the most accurate gun in the game!

Comment

Originally posted by too_much_battlefield2
                      what do ya mean? did he use a knife?

knife is the easiest to use, aim at them and stab, you player automatically goes for the neck and it's instant killed like the medic's filabrator, or is that what it's called...

* recalling the horrors of war* three guys, all firing at me. run up, aim, stab, turn stab turn stab, all three down in less than five seconds.
                      *comes out of trance*
                      and then i get blown up by a tank! LOL
                      Interesting war story, but to judge from your sig, you're fighting bots only.

Is this something to brag about?

J.

Comment

Or maybe he does not play on ranked servers. There are some of us that do actually do this

Comment

one thing i love about not so intelligent snipers that hide in one spot... Target for my arty :P. sure some people may say its a waster, but i would rather kill a sniper with 1% chance of a TK than near a point where there are lone wolfs and people not awake. but snipers can be very useful to the team like an eye in the sky other than the commander...

Comment

Working...
                          X