Crashes exiting Commander mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashes exiting Commander mode

Anyone else had this problem? After switching from Commander mode back to 1st person the PC locks up with a badly corrupted screen. I am not sure if it's overheating CPU/graphics card or just since installing 1.02, because I moved to the tropics at the time I installed 1.02. Any ideas are appreciated. I am a good commander and I like playing it.

Specs: athlon 64 3000, 6600GT

You should be able to check your heat in BIOs (atleast your CPU). If it happens consistantly at that point, and no other points in the game, my guess is there is a script running that is causing it to crash.

Try installing the latest Nvidia drivers (77.76 I think they are). Also update your sound and motherboard drivers.

If you're using onboard sound switch it down to Medium if you're using Hardware rendering, or to Software rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfKhaos
      You should be able to check your heat in BIOs (atleast your CPU). If it happens consistantly at that point, and no other points in the game, my guess is there is a script running that is causing it to crash.

Try installing the latest Nvidia drivers (77.76 I think they are). Also update your sound and motherboard drivers.

If you're using onboard sound switch it down to Medium if you're using Hardware rendering, or to Software rendering.
      Thanks for your tips. I have the latest drivers for all. I am loathe to switch sound to Software when I have an Audigy 2 though, except I shall trouble shoot the idea..

Funny but this never happened until recently. I have been playing the game happily for a month, until patch 1.02 and moving into the tropics where the room with PC is always warm..

Will check BIOS CPU heat settings..

Comment

Check the forums for the Audigy2 performance boost. The latest drivers are good, but you want the Beta drivers with OpenAL support.

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfKhaos
          Check the forums for the Audigy2 performance boost. The latest drivers are good, but you want the Beta drivers with OpenAL support.
          Thanks for that tip. What sort of performance boost are we talking about though? With an Audigy 2 there isn't going to be much load on the CPU as it is, one would think.

Comment

I get the exact same problem. Though interestingly while it appears to happen the majority of the time when I'm switching from commander view to just normal ingame view, it's also just happening randomly while sitting in the commander view for a while. It happens at least once a map if I'm in commander mode a long time. I get the same corrupted/pixelated colour screen, sometimes with a looping piece of audio/music - which may cut out. Then I just have to reboot the machine, as nothing else works at all.

With my following machine the game runs extremely smooth with everything on high:

Asus A8N Delux
            AMD 64 X2 4400
            Galaxy Geforce 7800 GTX 256mb
            2 gig RAM
            Audigy 2
            19" LCD

Frizt, what monitor type are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrobes
              I get the exact same problem. Though interestingly while it appears to happen the majority of the time when I'm switching from commander view to just normal ingame view, it's also just happening randomly while sitting in the commander view for a while. It happens at least once a map if I'm in commander mode a long time. I get the same corrupted/pixelated colour screen, sometimes with a looping piece of audio/music - which may cut out. Then I just have to reboot the machine, as nothing else works at all.

Fritz, what monitor type are you using?
              You described my problem to a tee too. I am using an old Dell 17" CRT. I am pretty sure the monitor is not the issue. The only other times I have had crashes like this in the last X years of gaming has been either a video card issue (sometimes overclocked/overheated), or a bad bug in game. I am not OCing now tho.

It's such a terrible crash. You must be quite upset to have it crashing with that ueber-system...

Tracing potential problems, can I ask what sort of Audigy 2 do you have? Mine is the value. Also did you have this problem before patch 1.02? I did not, but I cannot be certain that is the issue.

Comment

I had the same prob had to switch to 77.30 drivers that came with the game

Comment

Originally posted by madefattony
                  I had the same prob had to switch to 77.30 drivers that came with the game
                  How interesting! And that fixed it for you? You never had the problem again?

Comment

I'm sorry for the late reply.

I was fishing around a bit and read about updating audio drivers (seeing as the sound loops occasionally). Yes it's frustrating indeed. I try very hard to be a good commander, and I never get to see the results at the end of the map because I've already crashed out at somepoint.

Anyway, I'm using an Audigy 2 ZS. I went to www.creative.com and did the web update for the files and drivers. I haven't fully tested this, but I did play one map after that update. I was in commander mode for the entirety of it, and once or twice exiting to normal view. I had no problems. I can't recall what video drivers I am using but I *think* it's the 77.72 official release ones.

Comment

Click the link in my sig to optimize your Audigy2 sound card.

Comment

I have exactly the same problem, its really starting to piss me off since I cant play commander mode.

Comment

I pretty much ruled out the heat problem (had the case open). I am trying to update VIA MB drivers now....
                          UPDATE: new Via drivers didn't fix it..FYI software sound didn't fix it. Will try different nVIDIA drivers next..

Comment

[b]This is gonna sound really strange and likely make no sense, but here goes.

Are you using an HP printer on your system???

I have had the same problem (crashes to a solid blue screen with audio going nuts after leaving commander mode or other in game menus). I updated all video and audio drivers and have 2.5 gigs of ram.

When I do take the time to do the error report after the crash, it always comes back to my printer's drivers. MS sayas that HP is "aware of the problem and working on a fix."

I did uninstall the HP drivers (which were the most current) and reinstall the older drivers off the disk that came with it. This seemed to REDUCE the frequency of crashes, but they still happen from time to time.

I've been checking and waiting for a fix from HP, since I love my printer.

Not sure if it helps, but there's my 2 bits worth.

Comment

Hp printer driver is not the issue with me.. I don't have a printer..

Comment

Working...
                              X