Engineering Tips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineering Tips!

Being that this is Tips & Tricks we need an official Engineering thread. Please post all your engineering related hints and ideas.

8/4 UPDATE

Mines
    - Lock your tank. If you're in a hostile area and are forced to leave your tank toss a mine in the hatch or under the wheel before you leave. Keep an eye on your mini-map and don't do this if a friendly is apt to hop in. Oh, and don't forget to unlock your tank before you head off.

- Hide those mines. Place mines in dark shadows (works amazingly well), in rock clumps, in grass, and over ridges. Use un-hidden mines to divert the driver to your hidden stash.

- Double cross. Remove enemy mines and add them back as your own. But hide them this time!

- Olympic mine toss. At certain flags you'll be able to get close to an enemy tank. Use those mines aggressively and trap him in there. Clean up any unused mines after he's dispatched.

- The lone mine. Use only one mine at entrances and exists to flag points. Try to hide it but always allow teammates an easy escape.

- Leave no mine unattended. Pick up all mines that don't serve some clear purpose.

- Think like a mine. Anticipate an enemy engineer's mine laying. Does he lay a straight line across a road? What's his MO? Most engineer's fall into comfort patterns with regard to mine laying. If you see someone spotting and removing your mines then put them in different locations.

- Lone miner. No one expects a mine in the middle of nowhere. Examine the traffic patterns (usually your own driving patterns will suffice) and plant a mine there!

Wrench/Spanner
    - Removal duty. Remove everything if you can. This includes C4, enemy mines, badly placed friendly mines. Watch out for claymores though, they're a not-so-silent killer. If C4 can't be removed it means the player that planted it is dead.

- Stay seated. You can repair assets, vehicles, and bridges all from the air conditioned comfort of your tank.

Shotguns
    - Shotgun trick. See a far off enemy? Lure him in by hiding in a building or behind a dumpster. Don't go prone though as your legs will stick out and it'll tip him/her off. Also try to avoid common hiding places, mix it up a little.

Misc.
    - Pace is everything. Don't be afraid to simply wait out your enemy. Count to yourself and move on the odd beats. You'll find your opponent has about 7 seconds of attention span.

- Avoid the peak. This goes with the above rule. You know the tank is sitting at the flag, don't go taking a peak every 3 seconds unless you want a tank shell for dental work.

- Foot fetish. Aim for those feet.

- Death and vehicles. Always die in your ride. This prevents the enemy from taking it and it allows you to respawn with it back at base.

- Buildings and you. Try to move with an arm, wheel, or tank tread brushing a building. Sprint from cover to cover and most importantly.. DON'T WALK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD! There are people with several hundred, if not thousand, of road kills already... don't be a statistic. You'll also avoid the mid-day helicopter and aviator traffic jam overhead.

- Helicopter love. Always take time out of your day to shoot at helicopters. If you're in a tank just hop into that turret and have at it. Remember that you should be up against a building which will greatly limit their ability to fire back.

- Hidden Garage. Don't repair while you're capping a flag... though I bet you've already learned that. Nothing finer than swiping someone's ride while they're repairing it. And if your ride is stolen don't just stand there in shock!!! Hide that junk before you lay your wrench on it!

- Fools rush in. Pay attention to enemy activity and your own teams activity before rushing for a flag capture. Waiting outside a flag point allows you a much larger view of the enemy spawn locations and it also allows your teamates time to catch up to you. Once you're team is at critical mass and moving toward the target head on in.

- Keep moving. This pulls against our nature to seek shelter but it's pretty critical in this game. If you're alone in a tank and you suspect an enemy is near by KEEP MOVING. Just set up a little back and forth patrol right by the flag and you'll be surprised how many C4 jockies will get crushed under your treads. Try to appear random about it and keep your head on a swival.

-Behold the power of Jeep. Any vehicle with a 360° turret is just awesome against helicopters. The front bumper works amazing against troops also. It will even evade APC's and tanks, though I'd recommend avoiding tanks.

Facts & Figures
    Shotguns:
    M11-87 (default US)
    - Damage: 25x8
    - Capacity: 7
    S12K (default MEC)
    - Damage: 12x8
    NOR982 (default China)
    - Damage: 25x8
    MK3A1 (unlock all)
    - Damage: 15x8

Pistols:
    - Damage: 20
    - Capacity: 15

Thanks for the tips!

Ive never been that dandy as engineer...i blame those shotguns

Comment

nice tips thanks. can you really remove c4? i tried it and it didnt work me, but the enmy blew me up as i get in a chopper with the same c4. maybe i didnt do it right.

Comment

Great!

Great I didn't know you could remove enemy mines n stuff like that thanks.!

Comment

i havnt got the repair badge yet. but now that i realized it, all i have to do is sit in a damage vehicle and get a point

Comment

Easy!

Originally posted by DimmuBorgir
            i havnt got the repair badge yet. but now that i realized it, all i have to do is sit in a damage vehicle and get a point
            Lol or sit in a helicopter with your spanner out (lol I had to put that :laugh: )and keep twistin' :laugh: while your pilo is gettin shot at

Comment

Great post.Now if we can stop the punishment from noobs because they ran over a mine. I played a game yesterday where an eng and I as a antitank held off a 15 min armor onslaught from the enemy. Holding our flag. The eng was great.

Comment

about stealing the tank. I did that one time, i stole a boobs tank, then i could hear him Get out of the vehicle now!! or whatvber it says. Took him a minute to realize it was an enemy tank now.

Comment

Forget about hiding the mines. Dude I got up to 27 kills on the dragon valley map. The US didn't have any spawns so they kept going to that one closest to them. To be honest, I DID hide the mines in the water (greatest place ever to hide a mine) but I would even toss them along the way to the spawn. Those idiots just kept running over them. I even put them around the spawn. Choppers would come in and land to close to the ground and blow up. I was a great round btw.

Here's a tip, it's not always smart to lay mines in on strait line closing off a bridge or something. For one, stupid teammates will just run over them with no way out. You CAN lay them down like that but it's better to just place on mine on a road some place and then another one alot the road. that way if someone blows up in a jeep, they'll go back down that same road then hit another one in a different spot. Sometimes people are in such a rush to get some place that they don't pay attention.

Never lay mines where your teammates can't get out. That map where I got loads of kills, Every time I laid out mines I would type a message like "Beware of friendly mines" or "Keep a lookout for friendly mines!". That way your idiot teammates will pay more attention.

Another reason it is good to lay them in the open, is to wait near the mines for a tank (or armored vehicle) to come and blow up. LIke I said they don't pay attention. But one of the good things about having them in the open is that they'll sotp and get out of the tank. Theres your chance to hop in and own em! Never gets old. I can just imagine those noobs on their mom's computer smashing up their keyboard because they get pissed so much. (My logitech has been through quite a bit)

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

nice tips man, if i had 2 more hands id give your brain 4 thumbs up.

You are a smart guy, ive played bf42 since beta, an enig. lover since wake....you have allowed me to see the light

thanks man, good stuff.

in the 2 or 4 years ive played, i have not hidden one mine... hehe..but i sure as f will now

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Great tips!

A few thoughts:

Re hiding mines, crests (which you mentioned) and corners can be great. I try to place mines where friendlies will see them but enemies won't. For example, in Karkand just past the second MEC flag there's a ramp down to a third flag. If defending against enemies coming up the ramp (common in the 16 player version as a tank spawns at the lower flag) it's possible to place mines on the outer edge at the bottom of the ramp where they will be hidden from enemies coming from below by the ramp's barrier but easily visible from friendlies heading down.

As for the Olympic Mine Toss (great name) landing mines on a stationary tank is even better than placing them around it. When it moves the mine will explode, taking out the tank. Before attempting this, however, it's a good idea to have a friendly spot the tank (or spot it yourself) to make sure you time it right. Nothing like dashing out into the open only to find that the tank has pulled away from the flag and you're staring down the barrel of the main canon.

Also, don't forget the pistol! Great for finishing off shotgun survivors and luring enemies into dark corners... Also, if the enemy isn't returning fire at a range there's no reason you can't take them out with a few well placed pistol shots.

Comment

Great thread! I love playing engineer, the ability to repair and destroy (Mines) armor and vehicles with this class is superb! I liked the stay close to buldings tip... never thought of that.

Comment

My favorite of all the classes...

My tip'o'the day -- What's the one thing you hate most as a tanker/engy? If your like me, it's those pesky Spec Ops trying to C4 you.. Ahhhhh, feel the hate.

Anyway, while capping flags in a tank, always switch the camera to external back view. Spec Ops NEVER attack from the front (Smart, I suppose). You can see them run up and *try* to C4, but you're already moving forward! Turret comes around and BLAMO. Then the Spec Op wonders "How the hell did he know I was there?!"

Beautiful.

BONUS - Also, if they *do* happen to attach the C4, jump out of the tank (the spec op guy is now running away with detonator in hand thinking he has an easy kill), Sprint away from the tank, jump, and shotty that pesky Spec Op in the head. I'm not for sure but I think they always wondered "What just happened to me?". Then I go over to their corpse and look at thier face and pull the knife out so they can see it. lol

I'm evil I suppose, but you may check my tank stats. I really do love the Engy/Tank combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X