Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried it and it didn't do squat for me.

Comment

Adding more available space for virtual mem than you need isn't going to do anything. If you are having slow down probl;ems it may be that swapping is going on or the page file is being resized on the fly. In which case, your paging file isn't big enough in the first place. Having an 8GB paging file is NOT going to help anything. Best thing to do is get more RAM and not increase swap (unless it's not big enough and is being resized in the middle of your game by windows)

Comment

guys i suggest it, to whose who have less than 1GB of RAM not for 2 or more Gb
        then i has 1Gb the virtual memory helped me alot the alomost did not lagged i was playing 4-5 hours a day and haven't any problem.
        Now i have 2Gb and i turned off the pagefile because BF2 paly with 2Gb very good.

Comment

Okay well I've heard of this thing coming with video cards. Sometimes it has a performance boost, like alot BUT sometimes it doesnt.

So...Check the rpm of your Hard drive. What this does is use some of your hard drive as normal Ram. If your hard drive's rpm is ~5400 forget it. if its ~7400 you have a good shot...

Anyways-- I have 1gb ram and I play in medium really well on a laptop too... And actually I'm creating a program that will automatically End selected processes with the click of a button. Of course you'll have to select proccesses at first which will take like 5mins but anyway...Long term

I'll post it on forums too when its done
          (Also comes with a startup program cleaner...)

Comment

Originally posted by openheimer
            Moving your page file to its own partition will help you to defrag and manage.
            Very good suggestion. It's a good idea to have your hdd split into at least 3 partitions, Windows | Page | Programs/Games/Etc. (also a good idea to have an additional partition for important documents and the like, for example I keep all my work stuff on this partition - which has saved my ass before.)

Also, after doing so, change your environment variables for the windows temp folders over to your paging partition (ie: D:\TMP). There are multiple variables. Temp files make things VERY fragmented. Just make sure you allocated enough space.

cpanel>system>advanced>environment variables

From my own experience, this has made things signifigantly smoother.

For more good stuff, check this out: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=96908 and http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=126579

It also makes mention of a defragger called Diskeeper Pro, which I would definitely recommend over Windows' built in defrag utility.

Hope this is useful for those looking to do some optimizing.

Comment

Re: For those who have 512Mb or 1 Gb memory

Even better yet, move the pagefile to a different physical drive alltogether if you have more than one drive in your system. It will increase performance.
              Dont bother with SATA drives, they are no faster than IDE drives.
              If you have 1 or 2 Gigs of RAM the pagefile does not need to be very large, I have 2 GB of RAM and use a 1.5GB pagefile max. works like a charm.

Comment

i have 768mb ram and my page file is 1536mb

so should i change it or leave it

i get lag for around 1 min at start of match in larger maps
                running on meduim 800x600 @ 60hz

Comment

I have 2 partitions, one with windows and one for games,apps etc. en only the partition with windows on it is using a pagefile. The other one isn't.

Comment

You should never turn off the paging file in windows no matter how much RAM you have. There is always something that needs to swap to the HD. Always.

Comment

So many differing opinions and so many questions.
                      Do some homework to find the answer e.g.>>>>>>>." try and fry "

Try stuff,,, if it has benefits then experiment a bit further or keep settings it as it is.

Fry it..... return to previous settings if it has any adverse effects on system performance.

Comment

Working...
                      X