For those who have 512Mb or 1 Gb memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who have 512Mb or 1 Gb memory

I found very simple cure for memory problem.
    Before week ago i had 1 gb of memory and my computer was slowing down when playing BF2
    so for better perfomance you can use the virtual memory and it increase the perfomance by 50 %
    what you need to do is:
    control panel=>System=>Perfomance=>virtual memory=> choose some bigest space on disk and turn it manually to 3-5 Gb

For better explanation ask in private message.

and i think it must be sticked!!!

Windows Virtual memory tops out at 4096.

Comment

you right i had this one
      so i changed to 3Gb and it works perfect

Comment

Your pagefile should be 2.5x the size of your physical ram for optimum performance.

Comment

Originally posted by exocet
          Your pagefile should be 2.5x the size of your physical ram for optimum performance.
          That was gonna be my next comment.

Comment

can you explain what do you mean 2.5 of physical ram
            you mean if my RAM is 1 GB so Pagefile must be 2.5Gb right?

Comment

if my ram is 1.5 gb it would mean that i would have to set it at 3.75?????? im confused and really want a performance boost....so explain with more detail.

Comment

Exactly what you said - if your ram is at 1gb, your pagefile (or virtual memory) should be 2.5x that - or 2.5GB.

Comment

If you have over 1.5gb of memory, this wont really help, since you can load everything on to your memory wich is a lot faster then "virtual memory"

If you have SATA drives (Serial ATA) then this will be a performance gain, but it all depends.

Comment

Actually guys....2.5 pagefile x physical memory = bad. Everyone says that because initially it IS better. but over time it starts to defrag like **** and starts creating issues. Don't ask me why it does like that, just after running test of my own and reading some other test from other people(sorry I lost my links as I ran this test a yr or so ago, ill see if I can pull some up again, to lazy right now) I just got with 1.5mb. Dont gotta take my word just some personal experience.

Also I didnt get to indepth with my test...IE: Trying different brand of memory, Different size of physical memory(IE: 1g vs 512) so it could be completely caused by that....ill see if I can find those test a bit later

<3

Comment

In my experience I have learned that the virtual mem is something I don't mess with.

Comment

so lets make it clear, i have 1024mb RAM Pc3200...

and 2 hard disk, so...

the virtual memory is set like this
                        Disk C: 1024 - 1024
                        Disk F: 1024 - 1024

is that right? or should i increase them???

Comment

pagefiling works for a few minutes, but after a bit, unless you have like a oc'd 10k-rpm HD that isnt bottlenecked by the magnetic communicator thingie <- technical term, it starts chuggin like a sumb1tch. at least for me

Comment

Well since I have ample room on my HD's I just make my pagefile 8 GB (2 HD's). But what really makes virtual memory so good is if you have it at the beginning of your Hard disk, so that Windows can access it right away. I think you move it by using Diskeeper's boot-time defrag.

Comment

In Windows XP Pro it can only support 3gb of RAM. You get into the whole PAE 3GB switch world for those that are server NT orientated.

The common formula is 2.5 your RAM, however that is mostly a hangover from 98 and truthfully not that valid anymore.

Moving your page file to its own partition will help you to defrag and manage.

But.... It really only benefits those with less RAM once you get above 2GB there is little gain and imho let XP mange your vitual memory.

I run 4GB RAM with no virtual memory in a XP64 context.

Comment

Working...
                              X