Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if the walker where a real life weapon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if the walker where a real life weapon?

Lets say that in real life they had walkers that are about the same size as the ones in 2142(and and they can walk DOWN hills as well as up).

Do you think they would have practical military uses?

I do

1. elevated vantage point means they can see and much farther and in close rnage combat of urban warfare they can fire down on enemy infantry trying to take cover.

2. they could be loaded with things like hellfire antitank missiles

3.if uses correctly(and by correctly i dont mean sending them off on their own to get pwn3d by the superior armor of tanks) they could accomplish a goal no other armor vehicle in history could ever do.....support infantry in rugged mountainous terrain, i dont see abrahms traveling off road and up 45 degree slopes.

I don't see walkers going up and down 45 degree slopes either. It'll probably flip cause of the high center of gravity.

But you could probably load them with missiles and MGs and it'd be a decent in urban areas. Open areas would probably lead to it being sniped, like in 2142 going up against tanks at range is suicide. Remember, higher vantage point means the enemy can see you better too.

Comment

They would be crap in the field in reality, you could take them out so easily by either taking a leg out, or actually building an obstical it cant walk over.

1.Elevated vantage point would be an easier target, and why not just use a chopper.

2. So can tanks

3.Again I belive a chopper would be a whole lot more use in that situation, why have something grounded and easy to hit with (say an infantary rocket) when you can have something that has a very large area to move.

Comment

In real life, a single hit with a tank shell would make that thing fall on its ***.

Also, I don't see any stairs or ladder, how do the soldiers get in? Stilts?

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
          I don't see walkers going up and down 45 degree slopes either. It'll probably flip cause of the high center of gravity.
          Oh and that too.

Comment

I'd lol at a walker in real life.

I are teh walker, walking through the desert from city to city, oh snaps an enemy! *Bam* tank shell destroys one leg and it either tips over or sits there, paralyzed.

I are teh walker, walking through the city, shoosting the mans, oh snaps! *Bam* a suicide bomber runs up and gives one of the legs a very warm hug.

Comment

Now see im my mind some kind of scanner(so many scanning deviced to day radar,infrared,sonar...just pick one) will scan the ground where the walker is walking and then a computer will use this information to direct the walker lwegs to the exact positions they need to be in to traveres the terrain, just like how when you see a boulder on a hike you either steop on and off it or just walk around it.

there can also be a computer controlled system for balancing itself when walking up stepp hill sides...maybe it would lean forward slighty or have a movable freeweight inside or sumthin

and now that I think of it, there is no reason why the walker coukd not have as much armor as an apc, the legs just have to been chunkc of metal with 2 pints in them where gears actually turn (foot and knee) and the rest could ne heavy armor in front which can be the same thickness as apc armor.

and please consider the fact that i said the walker would be used as strictly support only, no it will never take on tanks(it could probably take on apcs tho) and its "head" should ba able to point itself at high angles so that it can also be an anti airweapon.

Originally posted by TheDesert_Fox
              *Bam* a suicide bomber runs up and gives one of the legs a very warm hug.
              LAWLLAWLLAWL:laugh::laugh::laugh:

id like to see the suicide bomber get through the infantry with their rocket launchers,grenade launchers,assualt rifles and then on top of that the l33t cannons on the walker itself

Comment

You would put an assault rifle on a walker?

Comment

read the post again

Comment

there will be uses for walkers - but they will be more in the recon area not hugh big *** killing machine type

Comment

like i said...SUPPORT because all that crap in thing like mechwarrior...isnt going to happen

Comment

Yeah, they were bad-a$$ in MechWarrior, but really, what's the point? They have a whole new set of engineering challenges to deal with due to the need to balance, but unless they have the flexibility of a humanoid they really don't add anything to the package. And how flexible are they going to be with steel legs? The tank of the future will have a little captive UAV to get as high a vantage point as it wants while staying safely under cover. It'll pop a vertically launched guided missile that will acquire the target and dive onto it's thin upper deck without the launch vehicle ever being seen...

Humans are fantastic at what they are built to do. But if nature had weighed us down with armor, for example, we wouldn't be walking upright either- it just doesn't make sense bio-mechanically.

What I think you *will* see eventually are powered exo-skeletons for infantry. As they get bigger and heavier they start to look like a small 'Mech or walker, perhaps up to 10 feet tall or so. But they are really super-charged infantry, not something heavy enough to stand up to direct fire from a tank one-on-one. Think along the lines of Heinlein's "Starship Troopers," or FASA's "Elementals." Of course a half-dozen such dudes, who would likely carry pretty substantial firepower, would be more than a match for a tank. But the one who catches a gauss-cannon shell in the chest while his squad-mates make the kill is going home in a hyper-metallic polymer box to the pod-farm he was grown in, to be recycled into the Soylent Green...

EDIT: Now that you've made some edits, we'd probable be in pretty close agreement. My "heavy infantry" might be similar to your light scout walker-thingie... Anyway, it *is* fun to ponder the possibilities...

Comment

I agree with rottnJP, Because the only real robot that is working fine walking on 2 legs is that honda assimo and that cant even go on uneven ground.

Comment

All this talk and no one has mentioned future combat systems yet? Notice that is has a lack of walkers.

Anyway back ot

Originally posted by TheDesert_Fox
                            I'd lol at a walker in real life.

I are teh walker, walking through the desert from city to city, oh snaps an enemy! *Bam* tank shell destroys one leg and it either tips over or sits there, paralyzed.

I are teh walker, walking through the city, shoosting the mans, oh snaps! *Bam* a suicide bomber runs up and gives one of the legs a very warm hug.
                            I'd like to point out that your criticisms could easily be applied to a tank.
                            What's a tank got that a walker hasn't to stop a tank shell hitting the tracks of tank and disabling it?
                            What's a tank got that a walker hasn't to stop a suicide bomber running up and hugging it?
                            Why not lol at tanks instead, in fact why even have tanks at all?

Originally posted by Jaswahhihi
                            They would be crap in the field in reality, you could take them out so easily by either taking a leg out, or actually building an obstical it cant walk over.

1.Elevated vantage point would be an easier target, and why not just use a chopper.

2. So can tanks

3.Again I belive a chopper would be a whole lot more use in that situation, why have something grounded and easy to hit with (say an infantary rocket) when you can have something that has a very large area to move.
                            Once again I apply your criticisms to the tank. You could take them out so easily be either taking a track out, or actually building an obstacle that it can't drive over.

Also if you're just going to use walkers because the sole reason that choppers can do the job better, then why would you use tanks in the first place? Let's just all put away our armoured vehicles and use air support shall we.

Despite all this I don't see walkers being used for the simple fact that having a walking vehicle costs more time and money and manpower to implement than a wheeled/tracked vehicle that could do the job equally as well. Basically the costs outweigh the benefits.

Comment

Apart from psychological reasons (O SHEET THEY ARE HAS WALKER WE NO CAN BEAT THEM), a Walker would probably have no advantage over a Tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X