Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if the walker where a real life weapon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonks950
    I'd like to point out that your criticisms could easily be applied to a tank.
    What's a tank got that a walker hasn't to stop a tank shell hitting the tracks of tank and disabling it?
    What's a tank got that a walker hasn't to stop a suicide bomber running up and hugging it?
    Why not lol at tanks instead, in fact why even have tanks at all?
    A tank has those nice reactive armor squares on the sides and heavy armor in front to keep it's tracks very well protected. A leg is harder to protect and just the kinetic energy of impact on the main body could tip it.
    A tank has ground level machine guns, with a walker you've got a point where once you're close enough it can't hit you, IE, walk past a building, a guy runs out, three steps and he's safe.

But IMO, tanks suck too. We need more long range weaponry for the open battlefield, like MLRS, and perhaps a better solution for urban combat, tanks just don't seem necessary in, say, Baghdad. Maybe a smaller armored SUV w/ a minigun or something.

Comment

Thing with walkers is that they can be heavy anti infantry, like the L-5 in 2142, dual miniguns? Jesus, that can rip through anything. Imagine dual Avenger miniguns on a walker. I can't deny the fact that it might not be possible (it is technically impractical, the minigun is over 6 meters in length, unless the walker is of proportional height and width), but with a stable center of gravity, (I'd prefer a front heavy design) to counter balance dual miniguns, dual Avengers can really post a threat. With Anti tank capabilities, those miniguns will have formidable use against armour.

Further more, due to their vertical build, missiles, anti armour rockets can be lauched up. If you have played COD4 demo, the Javelin rocket launcher is something can be easily implemented.

And who said walkers will have to have someone in it? They can be unmanned. Due to the fact that nearly all the weapons will be self loading, there can be lots of focus on making an unmanned model.

Avenger = continuous linkless belt
      Missles = self loading bay, with a standard loadout.. (lets say 10 rockets max..?)

I think I have gone off a bit, but you get the point.

For the sake of being proportional and rational, M61 Vulcans can plausible.

Comment

The main issue is that air power dominates all.

Once they make armour that can resist all types of missile attack then probably a walking vehicle might be possible. It would probably start as a 4 legged thing for stability and would buck the crew around but it might have uses in some terrain.

Comment

A walker is too huge, too tall for a battlefield of the future. Mind you, they do not want to make everything bigger and more fearful. The battlefield of the future ain't like WW2. You have those tarn capped Aircraft. Silent Choppers, Microwave guns, Flat Tanks, Drones, High Tech Soldiers, Remote controlled Robots (Ya, the tiny ones with a machine gun on it)... They surely won't ever finance a project with a 15m high walker on two legs.
          I think the Nazis were the last ones with dreams about big things like that. Wasn't it the Maus 1 or 2... I dunno, but if ever constructed, it would have been HUGE! SLOW! Easy to take down.

Comment

Adding armor to walkers wouldn't work too well. You'd end up with a taller, slower tank, plus what if it breaks down, you're stuck with a tall target and walker legs would probably be harder to repair than tank treads.

And the M61 can already take out tanks with AP ammo I think, and mini UAVs can already be fired from that grenade launcher from future weapons.

Comment

I dont think it will be ussefull, The rockets of the walker dont get far, The tank a few 100 Meters away can 0wn the walker in real life with one rocket(its not a game out there:| But for covering or guarding it will be greeeaaaat.

Comment

The walkers rockets in 2142 suck, yes, but that's only to balance them from tanks. IRL you could equip them with Javelins and Hydras or whatever.

Comment

the only pratcical use to it that i would see is maybe in mountainous terrain where conventional armor cant get to. but with all the risks in it like a high center of gravity (top heavy) and the fact that its greatest strength is also its greatest weakness (legs).

Comment

The problem is, though, Javelin's only have a range of 2km, tanks have a range of 3km...

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
                      The walkers rockets in 2142 suck, yes, but that's only to balance them from tanks. IRL you could equip them with Javelins and Hydras or whatever.
                      Ehm mate? Were do you wanna sit in that thing? For real life it will be very small, If you would add that and that and thiss too, and make him able to fly there will be no place to sit in that strange thing, Make it complete Usseless,:laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by tonks950
                        Why not lol at tanks instead, in fact why even have tanks at all?

WORLD

WAR

ONE

bam

imagine the rockets on the walker in 2142...now give them each the strenght of the rpg....imagine 12 rpgs firing almost simultaneously in essentially the same spot on a tank,i think in the end it will come down simply to who fires first.

if you had(once again) a COMPUTER CONTROLLED BALANCING SYSTEM and if you PROTECTED THE WALKER(how many times do i have to say the walker is a SUPPROT weapon.

and who said the walekr had to be the sme size and shapem as the oens in 2142?

make them smaller, lighter, rpg like rockets and mchine guns.

different layouts could be anti air, anti tank, anti inf, indirect fired...all sorts.

Comment

You did;

"Lets say that in real life they had walkers that are about the same size as the ones in 2142(and and they can walk DOWN hills as well as up)."

But thats a good point anyway. Look at todays military robots. They are track driven and small or low to the ground. Take the top part of the walker with swivel action and 1337 weapon attachments and give it an independant triangular track system so it can climb over obsticles.

That would be cool.

Crunch
                          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

a Hover tank would be more usefull.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertfalcon
                              a Hover tank would be more usefull.
                              I agree with him, So they can fight with it on more places ( for ground etc) and the speed is bigger, In real life the walker will not be fast and i know that for sure.:laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by The Kingpin
                                In real life, a single hit with a tank shell would make that thing fall on its ***.

Also, I don't see any stairs or ladder, how do the soldiers get in? Stilts?
                                duh you just stand under it and press E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(joke):laugh::laugh:

Comment

Working...
                                X