No announcement yet.

Dispelling the myth of the "defensive" titan placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good points, Zarious. Unfortunately, many of the tactics you describe won't work very well in the unorganised environment of a pub (the feint is really the only one, since it's something many players do naturally when the enemy loses shields), but they are still interesting in theory and in the occasional match I participate in.

Another good point to address is that on servers with movable Titans, assuming a defensive stance with the Titan essentially allows your enemy to move into an offensive posture with it at no tactical cost whatsoever. Normally such a position carries disadvantages - the accessibility from the other Titan and from ground silos, namely, but if you're in that position without the enemy Titan anywhere near, these detriments are removed and the benefits remain.

Honestly, I've always operated on a very simple rule : if, as a Commander, you have allowed the enemy Titan into a position where it can suppress more than 3 silos, then expect to lose 9 out of 10 rounds. My experience with pub Titan is that few teams can compensate for this grievous tactical error by the Commander. Since the only thing that can restrict the movement of the enemy Titan is your own Titan, it's often a matter of necessity to adopt an offensive posture.

I am curious what your thoughts would be as far as placement goes on a massive map such as Tampa. There are actually a handful of positions on that map that are over a large enough portion of water such that APCs are completely unable to be a factor in reaching the Titan - it's too far to the coastline. Does the removal of one transport method change anything in your opinion as far as defensive placement goes?

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond621
      I am curious what your thoughts would be as far as placement goes on a massive map such as Tampa. There are actually a handful of positions on that map that are over a large enough portion of water such that APCs are completely unable to be a factor in reaching the Titan - it's too far to the coastline. Does the removal of one transport method change anything in your opinion as far as defensive placement goes?
      Unfortunately I have never played Tampa. I would say tho that it probably wouldn't change my position much, but it does add an interesting wrinkle. Theoretically a good gunship pilot could then keep all the enemy off your titan, but there again, you're still having to compensate for an offensive deficit. Now once you get their shields down, you could put more ppl on offense, since you would have to worry less about D, but unless you leave at least 1 or 2 guys behind on your titan, a sneaky squad leader could hurt you quickly.

Might be something to it, especially if you can pod to a silo or 2 "tho I doubt it if you're out of range of an apc". If you could get a silo to miss too...

Comment

Ah...see the thing about Tampa is that it is huge. Freakin, freakin huge. I believe the Titan-to-Titan distance initially is well over a kilometer, maybe even closer to 1.5 klicks.

Originally posted by Zarious
        Theoretically a good gunship pilot could then keep all the enemy off your titan,
        Better than that - one or two Titan AA guns could probably keep the enemy off your Titan! It would be interesting to see a round where both Titans are situated in this manner and it is entirely a silo contest the whole way through. Might make for more exciting gameplay.

Might be something to it, especially if you can pod to a silo or 2 "tho I doubt it if you're out of range of an apc". If you could get a silo to miss too...
        Podding to silos is pretty much out of the question initially, but with good movement you could reach one...maybe two tops. The silos are spread so far apart that it presents a lot of interesting tactical options and renders the Titan guns almost useless for suppressing more than one silo.

Many intriguing rounds to be had on it, I predict.

Comment

Working...
        X