Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best way to simulate aiming/shooting ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
    That should decrease recoil then, as you can hold the gun steadier. In all stances the scope is exactly the same, he's looking though it the same way in all 3 stances.
    The external view may be the same but the internal game mechanics are different for each stance. Those different stances affect shot accuracy and also affect soldier vulnerability.

A real military shooter would fire from the hip or shoulder only when the enemy is within close quarters (around 20-30m for my definition). A standing soldier presents a huge target for return fire and any real soldier would be on the ground to minimize his silohuette and gain a stable firing position.

The different firing positions in BF2142 don't reflect the real world. DICE has carefully crafted a great gaming experience, not a simulator. You would NEVER fire a MG from the hip unless you have a death wish. I do love the 'crouch to shoot' for the rifles though, as that is the 'basic' shooting position which gains you the most accuracy for the lowest energy-cost (meaning how many calories the soldier must expend).

Recoil is not something 'controlled' as it is 'managed'. You don't hold a weapon steadier to diminish recoil, you hold it so that you can manage to bring it back on target to compensate for the recoil. There's a subtle difference there.

Oh, boy... I'm rambling again... :shakehead:

Comment

Originally posted by Iwantcable
      By "recoil" do you mean like Call of Duty 1? (if you've played it )

For example the MP44 will always hit where you aim when ADS, but you have to control its enormous recoil.

Either way I hate the cone of fire too. The best example I can give is the SAW in BF2; I swear those bullets come out at a 45 degree angle after a second or 2 of full auto .
      The SAW in BF2 is the perfect example of coding gone to crap. It amazes me how that gun is so messed up compared to their cheap soviet counterparts [PKM & LPK]. I swear to God that the people who coded the game are anti-US as everything on the non US side is better - especially the jets.

Ok, tangent building so back on topic.

The recoil I mention is from CS and CS:S - like the M4 or the AK. Obviously the heavier, the more the kick. But I consider the Baur a good example as well. That thing has mega kick - a lil too much for my liking. It is a heavy assault rifle and in the future, I dont think the kick would be that damn bad.

Comment

Originally posted by [-NM-]-SS-
        The SAW in BF2 is the perfect example of coding gone to crap. It amazes me how that gun is so messed up compared to their cheap soviet counterparts [PKM & LPK]. I swear to God that the people who coded the game are anti-US as everything on the non US side is better - especially the jets.

Ok, tangent building so back on topic.

The recoil I mention is from CS and CS:S - like the M4 or the AK. Obviously the heavier, the more the kick. But I consider the Baur a good example as well. That thing has mega kick - a lil too much for my liking. It is a heavy assault rifle and in the future, I dont think the kick would be that damn bad.

/*the tangent continues*/

I agree that DICE really messed up the SAW in BF2. It is an awesome weapon and has none of the firing characteristics the game has. The biggest problem with it in BF2 is that the SAW is very, very accurate yet, it is one of the least accurate weapons in the game.

I was engaging and tearing up soft targets ( :shoot::dead: ) at over 700m with it during my Army years. It can shoot much further, but that's close to where the accuracy falls off. Also, firing from the prone makes the weapon extremely lethal. LMGs suffer from deviation when not using the bipod to stabilize. The idea of running and gunning with these things is mostly ridiculous.

/*tangent ends*/

I agree that the Baur has a nasty kick, but I've really grown to like it. I've been finding more and more Supporters guarding the Titan (something I've enjoyed doing with my Clark). Since there's been a lot of Supporters and virtually no Medics, I've been defending the Titan with the Baur lately and I've really gotten used to it. And, I've been getting all the Medic points because everyone else is hiding behind their shields and sentries. :|:

I used to have a problem with burst-mode firing and only used the single-shot firing mode, but I guess I've gotten over it because I've been successfully burst-firing through entire squads lately!

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
          I meant how the front sight, rear sight, and the shooter's head are all perfectly lined up the same no matter what the stance, at least the first shot should be the same in all stances, I guess prone/crouch should have a slighly less deviation than standing for the rest of the shots in full auto, instead of having mad recoil and 100% accuracy to the sights.
          I think it's good that you're requierd to do more to get accurate shots. Otherwise everyone would just be jumping and running around crazy with the most powerful gun in the game, because they could always rely on hitting exactly where they aim at regardless of stance & movement.

If you want the scoped view to correspond to the accuracy better, then the right way would be to either add some pre-animated "sway" to the sights just to let you know you might not hit where you aim, or to develop some "minigiame" where you have to manually line up the sights before shooting (sounds terrible already).

I think the peresent way is pretty close to what it should be.
          I mean it only takes about 10 rounds to realise the basic mechanics of the game and after that you shouldn't get fooled by inconsistencies in the animations etc.

Comment

Working...
          X