Kit Definitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit Definitions

I just wanted to take some time to educate you people on military definitions from our kits, and to ask some questions about how things are setup. Just food for thought. I am by no means a soldier; i just find it all so interesting. I got this information from wiki.

Recon: The recon kit in 2142 is a combination of a couple different things. Special Operations (aka commando) and dedicated sniper. While the name recon really applies to something else entirly.

-Force recon: Long-range reconnaissance is defined as recon in small groups behind the enemy lines, tens or hundreds of kilometers into hostile territory. This has much overlap with guerrilla warfare. While almost every frontline military unit is sometimes assigned to do limited patrolling or surveillance of one kind or another, this kind of stealthy scouting far from friendly bases is a particularly dangerous mission. Light cavalry often served this purpose in the past, and modern militaries keep specialized infantry units ready for similar roles, often verging on special forces. When the recon team is unfamiliar with the terrain, recruitment of local guides can be very desirable for these kind of missions.

personally i dont think this kit has enough influence from the force recon. its called recon, yet its really just sniper and commando. where as engineer and support have nice devices to help them detect enemies, and netbats to convey it to the team.

Engineer: The engineer kit in 2142 is a combination of a combat engineer, Anti-tank and Air-defense. I was wondering who exactly is equiped with with man-portable anti-tank/air-defence in an infatry squad; Whats the name of thier role? Because i am positive that combat engineers do not carry such weapons.

In the United States Army, the four tasks of combat engineer units are mobility, countermobility, survivability, and general engineering.

Mobility: improving your own force's ability to move around the battlefield. Combat engineers typically support this role through reduction of enemy obstacles which include point and row minefields, anti-tank ditches, wire obstacles, concrete and metal anti-vehicle barriers and wall and door breaching in urban terrain. Mechanized combat engineer units also have armored vehicles capable of laying short bridges for limited gap-crossing.

Countermobility: building obstacles to prevent the enemy from moving around the battlefield. Destroying bridges, blocking roads, creating airstrips, digging trenches, etc. Can also include planting landmines and booby traps when authorized and directed to do so.

Survivability: building structures which enable one's own soldiers to survive on the battlefield. Examples include trenches, bunkers, shelters, and armored vehicle fighting positions.

General Engineering: general engineering sustains military forces in the theater through the performance of facility construction and repair, and through acquisition, maintenance, and disposal of real property.

So basically, as far as 2142 is concerned, mobility and counter-mobility is mineing, mine removal and other explosives removal. To me it seems like they should excel at that task. Where as in 2142 recon has the best tools for that job.

For survivablity, the closest thing that comes to mind is the support shield and sentry turret, yet those are support.

Support: The support kit in 2142 is a combination of all sorts of things, only one of which can actually be designated as support, and thats resupply. really everything else in the kit has no place being there. At least, to my understanding. On wiki the term support as used for military puposes has three groups: combat service support, combat support, and combat arms.

Combat support really is of a broad stratiegic role that plays no real part in tactical warfare, especially not 2142.

Service support is rearm. refueling, healing, exc. Basically these guys are supposed to keep everyone fighting.

Combat arms might be my answer to anti-tank/anti-air and the machineguns, but i need confirmation.

The Combat Arms Regimental System, known by its acronym CARS, was the method of assigning unit designations to units of the five combat arms (Infantry, Artillery, Armor, Cavalry, and Air Defense Artillery) of the United States Army from 1957 to 1981. CARS was superseded by the United States Army Regimental System (USARS) in 1981.

In the United States Army, Combat Support is a military term which refers to units which provide fire support and operational assistance to combat elements. Combat Support units provide specialized support functions to combat units in the areas of chemical warfare, intelligence, security, and communications.

In the United States Army, Combat Service Support is a military term. It is defined as the essential capabilities, functions, activities, and tasks necessary to sustain all elements of operating forces in theater at all levels of war. Within the national and theater logistic systems, it includes but is not limited to that support rendered by service forces in ensuring the aspects of supply, maintenance, transportation, health services, and other services required by aviation and ground combat troops to permit those units to accomplish their missions in combat. Combat Service Support encompasses those activities at all levels of war that produce sustainment to all operating forces on the battlefield.

Assault: I couldnt find a good military definition for assault. But in 2142 assault is obviously solider and medic. Medic is definitly a service support role and has no buisness being related to assault. To me, assault is attacking plain and simple. Although wiki does have a topic on assault weapons.

An assault weapon is any weapon used primarily to aid in assault operations in military parlance - for the most part no other specific characteristics define the weapon. If referring to small arms, the military characteristics of an assault weapon are that it is capable of automatic fire and is lightweight. The original development of such small arms by the military was to retain capabilities of the machine gun while moving to a lighter platform usable in fast paced assault operations. (See Heckler & Koch HK CAWS and Sturmgewehr 44.)

So there you have it, a look at definitions for how kits are set up in 2142. Obviously its not exactly how things are. But with four kits to work with, they had to screw a couple things up. Any input would be greatly appriciated.

Hmm.. interesting read, I like it!

Support also provides suppressive fire though, with the MG and the auto turret.
    Engy has a defuser with unlimited uses, while recon only gets RDX and Zeller to clrear mines, both of those which use up ammo and have better uses.

Comment

Interesting observations here. As an ex-infantryman in the US Army (11BC2), most of the tasks and roles within the four soldier types are conducted by the typical soldier.

RECON is definately skewed from reality as their primary task is typically not to close with and engage the enemy but to observe him and report back. They call for airstrikes, indirect fire from naval vessels and artillery.

However, each infantry battalion has a Head Quarters element with a platoon of Scout/Snipers. They mainly conduct recon missions, but also act as a very small-scale special operations unit and do actively conduct sniping missions. APMs are not a recon's tool, but they are in every line unit. I carried 2 in my rucksack and also sticks of C4 used to destroy enemy weapons and disable vehicles.

ENGINEERS also perform as infantrymen, but their primary tasks involve constructing and deconstructing everything from schools, bridges, hospitals, tarmac (aircraft runway), landing zones, anti-vehicle traps & obstacles, etc. They would not be equipped with anti-aircraft weaponry in the US Army. That is reserved for an Anti-Aircraft Artillery unit and soldiers from those units would be attached to other units as AA support when deployed. Engineers would not normally directly engage enemy armor as they build traps and obstacles for them. Engaging tanks is another infantry task (as well as air and armor priority) and one I performed with Dragon, LAW, and Viper anti-vehicle portable weapon systems.

SUPPORT is another common soldier's task and is a mish-mash of various specialities. But, on the battlefield, it is a typical soldier who provides covering and defillade fire with a machinegun, supplies ammo and uses detection equipment.

ASSAULT is the last BF2142 soldier type and it is close to being correct. The inclusion of a defib is definately sci-fi... But, infantrymen do act as medics and there is a medic attached to each platoon and there is a Physician's Assist for each battalion. The rest is correct except for the lack of LMGs. I carried a Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW or M249) since they were first released. What an outstanding weapon that was although it has since been upgraded and replaced. But in a light infantry unit, there would be two LMGs per 5-9 man fireteam, two soldiers with grenade launchers and one HMG per squad of 2 fireteams. The rest would have standard ARs or a specialty weapon for the mission: axe, shotgun, ram, etc.

The one very important thing missing is mortars! This is an essential and integral part of any infantry company. Without mortars, you're screwed on a modern battlefield.

All of this statements are true of the US Army. Other armies may be configured differently.
      :salute:

ps I wrote this very quickly while still at work. I may need to make some corrections for accuracy.

pps EDIT: I made things a little clearer and took out the junk.

Comment

wow thanx for the info guys, really interesting stuff.

Comment

Thanks for all the inside info, sonicpixel. Very cool, and helps me with the understanding of soldiers' duties.
          Now I have to ask....is the class system of BF2 any closer to reality? Or is it about the same as BF2142? I know games have to use 'creative license' or else it would be quite boring I hear. But, is the consolidation of BF2142, or the diversity of BF2, closer to what the US military uses?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by DesmondLocke View Post
            Thanks for all the inside info, sonicpixel. Very cool, and helps me with the understanding of soldiers' duties.
            Now I have to ask....is the class system of BF2 any closer to reality? Or is it about the same as BF2142? I know games have to use 'creative license' or else it would be quite boring I hear. But, is the consolidation of BF2142, or the diversity of BF2, closer to what the US military uses?

Thanks again.
            Just a guess, but it sounds like he's saying it's more of soldiers do everything, so the more separated classes of BF2 would be farther off.

Comment

Balance.

Comment

The kits in 2142 are made for team work and not a 1 man job, if there was a support with a med and ammo hub and a defib he woud be very overpowerd, so they gaved the med hib to the assault. The reacon thing, i think in 2142 its made that u are not going to infltrate enemy teritory, u just gonna camp and snipe + RDX bombing troops or vehacles

Comment

i wasnt suggesting that happen. this thread was an inquery, so we can understand how 2142 compairs to real life as far as orginization. i wouldnt just say "ya give a guy with a machinegun all the service support stuff".

oh and what you said about teamwork is false. the way kits are orginized does not promote teamwork. they would however, if the maps/gameplay modes were designed to accomidate teamwork. titan mode is only teamwork on the titan and even then, engineer isnt being used. on the ground in titan mode its all recon and engineer. and on conquest, unless you are using armour, your not gonna use engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDesert_Fox View Post
                    Just a guess, but it sounds like he's saying it's more of soldiers do everything, so the more separated classes of BF2 would be farther off.
                    Close, but not quite spot-on. Actual service members are trained in particular job specialities, but find that in the field they are required to do whatever is necessary. Thus, there is a lot of cross-training to make you flexible enough to be effective.

The BF2 classes are a little closer to reality. The BF2142 classes are structured for a fun game and I'm very content with how they made them.

Comment

Originally posted by XxSTAM1NAxX View Post
                      Balance.
                      aye! :salute:
                      If you want "true to meaning" fighting, go to Bf2... and hear people complain how Medics are Assault with a med pack, and the vehicles that destroy everything! /end rant

Comment

Working...
                      X