Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden Random FPS Drop

Hi.

I have the most frustrating problem that makes no sense to me at all. I can play CSS on cs_Office for about 5 minutes, running completely flawlessly at 200fps. Then, all of a sudden, seemingly for no reason, it will drop down to 10 or 15, and will not go back up until I restart steam. I don't know why this happens, I'm running it on a fairly new computer and I didn't really have that problem before. Any ideas? This happens on any server I join or run, even if it is a local one.

Thanks.

Re: Sudden Random FPS Drop

Maybe something to do with a virus scan bogging things down?

What's your hardware? and What antivirus do you run?

Comment

I use Norton 2009, and my comp is fairly high spec. Pentium 2.0Ghz Dual Core CPU, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9500GM.

Comment

When this happens, could you tab back to windows, open up task manager and see if any program is hogging the cpu?

Comment

Hm... Norton might be an issue. But then again, I'm pretty biased towards that POS "antivirus" program.

Comment

Well, when it happened I alt-tabbed and looked at the processes, and the only thing noteworthy that was taking up substantial amounts of memory was hl2.exe, obviously CS:S. So it's not that. I don't see how it could be norton as my game starts off with good fps then suddenly drops. If it were Norton wouldn't it be running slow in hte first place?

Comment

So, the cause for the slowdown is running the game. Does this happen with any other game?
              Also, define fairly new. This looks like a typical GPU overheating problem.

Comment

Fairly new as in since last Xmas. It doesn't happen with HL2DM but does happen with FEAR (1). I'm running it on a laptop.

Comment

Yeah, that means there's something definitely wrong with your PC. But it doesn't make sense, because the PC is new.
                  Anyway you can monitor your cpu and gpu temperatures?

Comment

Damn, seems like I'm having a problem of the sort. I only realized it when I went back to NS a few days ago: randomly during the game, my fps would drop real low (like 4 fps) and stay like that for a few seconds, then it would climb up to something less miserable (20 to 30 fps).
                    Downloaded Hardware Sensors Monitor (shows temperatures, etc) and I found out that both my cpu and gpu are getting real hot when playing demanding games. I don't have a screwdriver (actually I do, but I lent it to a friend and he won't answer his phone -_-) at hand, but later today I'll open this shit up and clean up the fan.
                    I advise you try something like this.

Comment

So I just got back home, got hold of a screwdriver, opened up my laptop, removed the fan and woah HUGE amount of dust. Cleaned it and now my pc is like spanking new. Well not really, but no fps drops or overheating.

Comment

Working...
                      X