Cannot Connect To Multiplayer Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cannot Connect To Multiplayer Servers

Just discovered something, it turns out the modem here that the ISP installed also works as a router. It was installed when I was not living here to replace the old modem since the ISP updated the network in the neighborhood. (comtrend ct-5374 multi-dsl cpe)

So that means I am connected from the isp to the comtrend modem/router and now to the linksys router. It is obviously an issue of the two devices talking to one another. The issue is, how do I resolve this? I tried running the comtrend as a router but the wireless wont function on it for some reason, I cannot login to the device either as the login password do not work. So is it an issue between the two devices communicating? This has now happened with two routers connected to this comtrend.

Called the ISP. They had me input the DNS and ADNS numbers instead of it trying to obtain automatically. I attempted to connect to BF3 and it connected, (so i thanked them and hung up), I thought hmm maybe this is just a whim and it connected because it has before randomly, I attempted again to connect and bam doesn't work. Also found out my internet is a PPOE (it used to be static when I lived here last year before the upgrade)

Comment

Doubling up on routers is probably an issue, if not they only issue.

If you know the exact make/model of your ISP's modem you may be able to get into it with a default username/pass. A quick Google search yielded this, I don't know how accurate or up to date it is: http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downl...sys_Others.pdf

Good God, I've never heard of so many chain reaction issues before with an ISP/router. If your ISP forces you to use the modem/router they give you then I'd probably call and ask for a new model or replacement modem if I were you. Say it's broken or something, I don't know.

If you are NOT forced to use their modem/router, you may want to just get rid of that particular modem completely and get your own that is a modem/wireless router hybrid. Yeah, it'll cost you money but it'll probably work out a lot better in the long run. I know my ISP, Verizon, forces you to use their hardware otherwise the net tends to not work at all, which sucks.

Comment

I had to use an ISPs router together with my own router for a while, its a nightmare.
        The only thing that will make you happy in the long run is to get a modem-only solution from the ISP and then use your own router.

But it in the meantime, you should see if your own router can be set up to work as an accesspoint, that will disable all the reduntant router functionality like firewall, DHCP and NAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
          I had to use an ISPs router together with my own router for a while, its a nightmare.
          The only thing that will make you happy in the long run is to get a modem-only solution from the ISP and then use your own router.

But it in the meantime, you should see if your own router can be set up to work as an accesspoint, that will disable all the reduntant router functionality like firewall, DHCP and NAT.
          I have to use their hardware, and the default username and pass for it is not set to the default. (They told me that it costs money per month for them to turn on the wireless router functionality of it). So how can I make my router an access point? maybe that will work.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKLM
            I have to use their hardware, and the default username and pass for it is not set to the default. (They told me that it costs money per month for them to turn on the wireless router functionality of it). So how can I make my router an access point? maybe that will work.
            It depends on the router. But we might be able to look it up if you can tell us the exact name of your router

Comment

Yeah, I'd say that is your problem. You are double NATing, which will cause all kinds of issues.

What we do to work around that is put the ISP router in Bridge mode and setup the main router to do everything else. Of course, your main router has to have the PPPoE features to do all that.

The other thing you could do is remove the second router and only use the ISP router.

OR, depending on your setup, if you use the Linksys for Wireless, set it up for the wireless portion only and plug everything else into your LAN connection.

Unfortunately, a lot of this could be confusing and very technical. I dont know how comfortable you feel with any of this, so what you do is get one of your geeky friends to read this post and if they fully understands it, ask them to do it.
              Twitter: @CptainCrunch
              Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

The only thing that uses the wired connection is the desktop PC. There are two laptops, a PS3, and an ipodTouch that connect via the wifi. I cannot change any settings on the Comtrend modem/router as the ISP changed the login to the admin panel.

The modem is Comtrend ct-5374
                The router is Linksys wrt54g v8

Comment

Hmm, take a look at his guide, especially at point 10 and 11: http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-Links...n-Access-Point
                  All at your own risk, of course

As for the modem, I get lots of hit like this: http://curacaoconnected.com/the-uts-...-easy-to-find/ , but I assume you have already tried them?

Comment

Working...
                  X