Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rifle Discussion Thread

Originally posted by Vreki
    Regarding burst mode, is there really an advantage over burstin a full-auto? With the current state of hit-detection I feel better with 5-10 round bursts anyway.
    Currently no. The M16A4 and M4 are stat identical to their full auto brothers. The choice to use the built in burst feature is purely one of forced fire control. ie- you have trouble controlling how many bullets you fire on full auto.

On the subject of hit detection, since it's client side, if you can see it, you can hit it. It's the other guy who's going to be WTF.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantina_Fly
      On the subject of hit detection, since it's client side, if you can see it, you can hit it. It's the other guy who's going to be WTF.
      I am convinced that is a myth. I have never seen anybody official confirm that. I am not even sure that it can be done on a game that actually models the bullets.
      And I have seen several guys walk away from a shotgun-shower with 100% health.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
        I am convinced that is a myth. I have never seen anybody official confirm that. I am not even sure that it can be done on a game that actually models the bullets.
        And I have seen several guys walk away from a shotgun-shower with 100% health.
        All bullet modeling would affect is when your data sent. Is it when you pull the trigger or .02 seconds later when the bullet hits?

Guys walking away with 100% health is them shooting first (or you getting shot from another direction) before your data got to the server. The server's already registered you've been hit and killed, so it ignores your input (shotgun shower) even though it shows you shooting (with hit markers) on your screen.

Closest thing to official I ever saw.

This is also how some of the worst hacks work. You know the ones where you get knifed from half-way across the map, or worse, the guy who kills everyone in the server instantly? Just send the server the right data. It's code squarely aimed at consoles because you want to avoid "host advantage." MW3 does it by inserting an artificial 20-30ms lag for the player hosting the game.

Comment

With the hit calculations now worked out client side, lag can have a huge impact on apparent accuracy

I wonder why they did that? If anything, hit detection is worse than it was in BC2.

Comment

I guess they wanted to try something new, after seeing CoD and all the complaints on netcode of the previous BFs.

Comment

Working...
            X