Rifle Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rifle Discussion Thread

I was exited to unlock the aek 97 and i finally did. it's a disapointment... did they nerf it? i mean, i used to get killed by it so much and when i use it it just sucks, its high rof and low damage only lets me kill a guy per mag

Comment

The damage is the same as others AR (except G3), combined with a high rof it kills very fast, you just need to get used to it and stick to CQB-mid range at max. The FAMAS seems to be the AEK but with even more ROF (1000 instead of 900). It depends of your playstyle really.

Comment

AEK is great at close range, but sucks at distance. That's why I use the M416. It isn't superior at distance or superior at close range than the other weapons, but it is competent at all ranges. Jack of all trades really. AEK only works well on maps that always have short range fights like Metro or Bazaar.
        Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

When I play Assault I really like the AEK with Holo sight and Foregrip.

Recently I've been playing Support with the stock US/ RU LMGs with the 3.4 scopes and bipods. Great for medium to long range burst firing on unsuspecting infantry.

Comment

Discovered best combo:

AK74M - IRNV - foregrip - silencer

Comment

Well my favourite rifle was the G3A3, however since the latest patch i might aswell use one of the many other reskinned guns that outperform it where it shouldnt :/

Comment

I've played B2K on ps3 and I have to say it's pushing to extremes and exploring new waters - the Famas, is by far the fastest killing assault rifle at close range, same damage as any other, however 1000 rounds per minute. But its recoil is even worse than AEK's it climbs at much faster rate and has a lot of spray deviation too.

The L85A2 is the complete opposite. With only some 600 rpm and the same damage, it almost feel as if it's half as powerful at close range. Nevertheless, I just love it! At medium range is where this weapon feels most comforable, you can do long 10+ bullets sprays and each one will hit, almost like the ACR from MW2, of course you can't spray whole mags with 100% accuracy, you have to let off the trigger every now and then. Either way, B2K weapons bring some nice variety.

Personally, I don't like assault rifles very much. My favourite rifle is the M39 (as well as the starting semi-autos). They feel much more clynical and precise and are simply the best all rounders. They can kill with one headshot at close range, at medium range their precision/damage ratio beats just about everything and they can still compete with bolt-action rifles even at very long ranges because of no deviation whatsoever. I feel like assault rifles have too many variables to deal with - recoil, spread, etc. which makes them quite tricky to use sometimes. The semi-automatic sniper rifles feel much more reliable and relaxed to me.

Originally posted by Anarchy1
                I heard the F2000 was OP, so I was excited when I unlocked it. It sucks at killing anything beyond 10 m.
                The F2000 has been overnerfed, but they're reverting those changes back in the next patch. I guess some people just couldn't understand that it's supposed to be the best assault rifle for close to medium range and this game 90% that, small wonder, millions of whiners. However, it hasn't even got better single shot accuracy than sub-machine guns.

Comment

the FN2000 still mows, and it did need some kind of change

it should mow in close quarters of course, but you could M1 it over stupid ranges and just spray, the gun should require some skill to use rather than just foregrip, supp and hold fire tbh

its not like the guns are massively hard to use though, but at least on something like an AEK or M416 the full auto punishment is clear (it won't help you at range) so you need to control the weapon

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy1
                    It may increase aimed fire, but I feel like it adds more recoil than it adds accuracy boost. My aim is definitely much better with aimed fire without the heavy barrel. I just use the laser sight now for the hip fire accuracy boost and the ability to blind enemies (and teammates)

And speaking of this, I read somewhere that the silencer reduces recoil and so helps accuracy? In other games, I have felt the silencer makes the guns slightly more accurate, and I feel the same in this game. Test that too
                    OK, so I just finished recording some shooting at walls. Hip fire and sited with ACOG. Load out with nothing,heavy barrel, grips, heavy barrel with grip, suppressor and suppressor with grip. I will have the video up tomorrow. Unfortunately I dont have fancy editing software to do a side by side comparison or to time anything in the video, but it looks like suppressor does reduce recoil the most, but has more of a spread and the grip helps snap back into the beginning position of your aim and reduces spread, but I cant tell what heavy barrel does.
                    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                      OK, so I just finished recording some shooting at walls. Hip fire and sited with ACOG. Load out with nothing,heavy barrel, grips, heavy barrel with grip, suppressor and suppressor with grip. I will have the video up tomorrow. Unfortunately I dont have fancy editing software to do a side by side comparison or to time anything in the video, but it looks like suppressor does reduce recoil the most, but has more of a spread and the grip helps snap back into the beginning position of your aim and reduces spread, but I cant tell what heavy barrel does.
                      It increases both recoil and full-auto spread. The upside is that your single shot accuracy is halved - shoot the skies with some magnifying optical attachement and you'll be able to see the grouping of your tracers.

No, it's not worth it putting the heavy barrel on. Using any of the assault rifle in single mode over some range is foolish. Essentially you'll end up with an underperforming sniper rifle which still has some spread and takes 6 -7 shots to kill when you could actually use one of the semi-auto sniper rifles instead which have no single shot spread at all and take 3 hits to kill at range, 2 if one the hits is a head shot.

Comment

Bump.
                        So, I have started using a M416 with ACOG and underslung rail together with the MASS. It is a nice combination for a shotgun fan.
                        But I am thinking that the combo might be better with a long range AR, any recommendations? It must be able to mount the mass on a rail. How about the G3?

Comment

I tried the G3 in co-op, good stopping power but slow rate of fire and only 20 rounds, a good gun if you are accurate but runs out of bullets too fast. I was looking forward to the AN94 but when I unlocked it I found the 2 round burst rate to be very slow compared to the same gun in BC2. I personally prefer the M416 which is a good all-rounder.

Comment

First I had to realize this was a bump of a couple month old thread. Not sure where my opiniouns will fall since I played the first two weeks after launch, but then didn't come back until after new years. Now I play every night.

Second, I think you really need to say what platform you're playing on so people can see apples to apples opinions. (PC here.)

Assault

I'm really surprised at the number of people who love the 416. It was a good early unlock so you could have a consistent weapon regardless of what side you were on, but I hardly ever see it now. The AEK is top dog with the M16A3 a close second. My default setup is RDS, Grip, Laser. It works fine at range if you can control your shots. Switch to 3-round burst if you have to. It does eat bullets like mad, but that's why it's more important to control your fire. The M16A3 is just slightly more forgiving at range.

The F2000 is a PDW masquerading as and AR. Use it like you would a PDW but it has a better mid-range.

The Famas is an exercise in frustration because the iron sights are so piss poor. Combined with it's long reload, I hate it.

The L85 has been my most accurate AR. I don't dislike it, I just like the AEK and M16A3 more.

Engineer

M4A1 or G36C are the go to weapons for this class. High RoF, quick reload, non existent recoil. I usually go RDS, Grip, Silencer. I avoid mid to long range gun fights with Engineer. I either don't fire, or I duck behind cover and move.

The Scar-H is the weapon you want if you routinely want to engage in longer range gun fights. I got most of my kills with it before the nerf and had to seriously re-adjust when I started using it again. RDS, Grip, Heavy Barrel.

I know folks who love the A-91. I'm not one of them. I don't know why. It's great on paper, I just never do as well with it.

The AK-74U, 553, any of the low RoF guns. Can't see a reason to use them even though aesthetically, the AK-74U is one of my favorite weapons.

Support

M249 is for players who want to play Support like Assault with ammo. RDS, Grip, Silencer I prefer the M240B for the higher damage and better long range.

I keep seeing people praise the PKP, but I'm not feeling it.

Personally, I use PDW's just as often as the LMGs.

Recon

My least played class simply because it's a play style I really have to be in the mood to play. I will say BF3 is the first BF game I've liked sniping. People keeps saying BC2 was better, but I spent all my BC2 Recon time with shotguns. The maps were just too small. Let me also say I hate sniping with chevron style scopes, always have.

MK11 with iron sights, Grip, Laser just an awesome DMR gun. SVD not so much since the tab on the iron sights is this giant block.

SV98 and M40 (or L96) are two sides of the same rifle. Just depends which scope you prefer. I've had a lot of fun with the SV98 and iron sights. You have to be on your game, but it's rewarding to take down an Assault guy at close range. Pistol swapping also needs to be second nature. I prefer the 1911 (any variety) here.

I don't have the M98B yet and I haven't played enough with the SKS.

All Class

PDW's the P90 is king. 50 rounds, quick reload, and super low recoil. And you get all the attachments you'll ever need in the first 30 kills. I actually wouldn't even bother with a PDW until you get to the PDW-R at Rank 32. The low RoF on the UMP means you're going to lose to a lot a higher RoF weapons at your bread and butter range. That said, I have a friend with over 1600 kills with the PP-19. I don't know how he does it (head shots mostly.)

Shotguns well we all know the pain that is the receiving end of the USAS-12. No need to go there. For the semi-auto shotguns, Saiga all the way for me. RDS, Fletchette, Extended Mag. The ability to reload all your rounds in one go wins for me vs the one at a time you need with the other two. The 870 you really just have to be in the mood to play. I was completely disappointed with how bad slugs are. They are even worse then the post-nerf BC2 ones. Even if I'm standing still, crouched, ADS, you can still miss. WTF?

Comment

Yeah this thread is old. My opinion has changed since I posted.

I'm not sure why it happened but M416 use suddenly stopped. I think everyone started to realize around the same time that the M16A3 is a better gun than the M416, plus it took some time to unlock the AEK. But those two rifles are the best two in the game hands down. I'd put the M16A3 ahead of the AEK, but I usually play at longer ranges so this is understandable. On smaller maps I use the AEK.

If you like using the MK11 as a DMR, I would recommend the SKS. It takes one or two more shots to kill but it has a higher ROF. I prefer the SKS, but some people prefer the MK11.
                              Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Yeah, my fault for bumping it, but I have been away for a while like Cantina_Fly, and just started playing assault.
                                So I thought it would be silly to create a new thread when this one was still on the first page.

And it is a very good point about the m416 being one of the first rifles. Like I said, I like it, but I dont have much to choose from yet, especialy when I want one that can mount the M26.
                                Regarding burst mode, is there really an advantage over burstin a full-auto? With the current state of hit-detection I feel better with 5-10 round bursts anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X