Rifle Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle Discussion Thread

Im kind of surprised no one has made one yet. Im Captain in rank and wtih the Co-Op weapons I have a few to share.

First the P90 - Awesome PDW. At close range it mows people down. Its the CoD4 P90. So you might think, "why dont I see it more then?" Well, thats because its terrible at medium to long range. Also, if you are sighted and shooting, you can barely move left or right. Its like the recoil is keeping you pinned. So because of these things, its very well balanced and a fun gun to play with.

SG553 - The Co-Op rifle for Engineer. Since this last patch lowered the points greatly, I unlocked all of the co-op weapons (I will still play coop with anyone btw) and this gun is great. Good close/medium power and a good size clip. The downside: High recoil and for some reason, its hard to aim.

SCAR-H - Even after some nerfs, its still a great weapon. Good medium and semi-high range rifle. Brings me back to my BF2 days. I played a lot of Spec Op class for the C4 and the SCAR. Downside is its a bit weak. You kill one person with it and you better be reloading.

PKP PECHENEG - Support LMG. Its seriously overlooked and it shouldnt be. The thing is a beast. It does take some getting used to. You really need to burst fire it. Once you get the grips and the silencer, you are set. Very powerful. Downside is that it has high recoil and a lower rate of fire than the M240B.

Those are my favorite picks. I havent had a chance to play with them all by any means. I know some other popular ones are the F2000, the USAS, AEK, and the AN94. What do you guys like?
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Re: Rifle Discussion Thread

I have been playing mostly with the UMP-45, depending on what map I am playing I would tend to change my weapon

Comment

M416 - I tried all the others AR for more than 50 kills (200 for the AEK, 100 for the G3) and I still prefer the M416. It's the most balanced AR. Maybe it will change with the FAMAS/L85 but right now I only use this AR.

After that I don't have any real favorite gun, If I go by classes it would be :

Assault = M416 of course
      Engi = G36C (I prefer it to the A91 or M4)
      Support = M249
      Recon = SKS

Shotgun = 870MC
      PDW = either ASVAL or UMP but both are meh, I stopped using PDW

Comment

I agree with most of your favorites Infernalis.

(I don't have any co-op weapons, so keep that in mind. Might try getting on that this weekend)

M416 is my favorite assault weapon. I heard the F2000 was OP, so I was excited when I unlocked it. It sucks at killing anything beyond 10 m. AEK is decent, but really is the exact same as the M416 but slightly nerfed. The M416 is deadly at close range and deadly at long range. Perfect gun.

The G36C is my favorite engineer weapon. Love using it with a silencer. I used to use the SCAR-H a lot, and it is actually still my most used weapon by over 100 kills. But after the nerf, I don't like using it at range. It still kills in about the same time, but the 20 round magazine prevents a lot of multikills in my opinion. I find that I can kill a guy at range and then have around 5 bullets left, which is not enough to kill another. It is still great at close range, but I prefer the 30 round mag of the G36C.

For support, I prefer the M249. Hands down the best weapon. It has a high ROF, low recoil, and a massive magazine that I almost never have to reload. Fits my playstyle perfectly.

And for recon, I frankly have no idea. I love so many of the weapons to be honest. It's my most played class and I am usually always playing it except for a couple of maps (Metro, Bazaar, and Seine) and when I am trying to finish unlocking every class (which I am doing now). But that may change once I unlock the holographic for the SKS. Depending on the map, I will usually switch between bolt action and semi-auto. The two best bolts are the M40A5 and the M98B. I can't decide which one I prefer. The M98B has almost no bullet drop, which is amazing, but only has a five round magazine and a slow bolt and reload time, even with the straight pull bolt. The M40A5 has a huge magazine, fires quickly, but has heavy bullet drop. I still haven't mastered the bullet drop in BF3 for snipers (IMO it is heavily exaggerated. BC2 had it perfect) so I usually do better with the M98B on the bigger and slower maps like Noshahr and with the M40A5 on smaller and quicker maps like Damavand. Lately, I've also been trying to use the semi-auto rifles more. The MK11 was a beast in the beta and I am still partial to it (it looks cool), but the SKS is a much better weapon. Kills in the same amount of shots at range, but has a much faster ROF and almost no recoil. Take off the scope and that thing is an amazing battle rifle.
        Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

I haven't had a ton of experience with any of them, but I think I'm best with the AEK. I'm at 12 of 19 with the unlocks on it (the 7x scope up from IRNV I believe is where I'm at) and I was really enjoying it. The patch note claim that they've made the AN-94 a bit better:

Tweaked the AN94 so its burst fire better conveys the real world advantage offered by this weapon.
          Added Single Shot to the AN94 as an available fire mode.
          Slightly increased the recoil on the M416 and removed the Burst Fire mode (this weapon incorrectly had burst fire, which was not authentic).

So I'm trying it out.

They also included an alternate HUD for colorblind folks, which is why I still love DICE and a big part of why I stopped futzing around in MMO's.

edit: the colorblind help they just put in changes everything for me, going to have to run through the weapons again before I decide

Comment

My favourite weapon is the M416, mainly because I like how it looks lol but also because it is a good all rounder

using the FN2000 just feels boring, its just a full auto weapon no matter what, at least with the 416 it feels satisfying to use

very interested in the l85 and famas from b2k, but of course gonna have to do some of those assignments for them

Comment

Any gun + holo + grip + suppressor = win

I rarely use this combination, but it's a very good one. I enjoy the accuracy boost of the red dot sight and it's blinding effect more than I like the suppressor. Besides, with only 12v12 on xbox 360 you don't often have to worry about too many enemies being nearby to see your red dot on the map.

My current favorites:

AK74M - bipod - 7x PSO - laser sight
              M16A4 - foregrip - ACOG 4x - laser sight
              PDW-R - suppressor - holo - tactical light (best gun in the game, dang that beast owns and it's dead on accurate with 0 recoil at range so damage isn't an issue since all shots hits.

Those are pretty much the only guns I use. I use all the other weapons until I get a 100 kill service star than I go back to my favs.

Comment

What do you guys think of the heavy barrel? I don't know why but I have always put them on my assault rifles. I took them off today and suddenly the rifles are much easier to use and now I feel like an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy1
                  What do you guys think of the heavy barrel? I don't know why but I have always put them on my assault rifles. I took them off today and suddenly the rifles are much easier to use and now I feel like an idiot.
                  YES! I thought it was just me, but I stopped using them too because my recoil increased. A heavy barrel is used for two things: 1.Be able to shoot a higher grain bullet 2. Reduce recoil

Adding a heavy barrel in BF3 doesnt do either of those things. I dont get it.

Comment

The in-game description says they increase accuracy, but if they do, it's not significant enough to counteract the additional recoil.

Comment

Yeah, it doesnt do that. Maybe increase it on the first shot.

Actually, I noticed that everything that says "increase accuracy" shrinks the crosshairs. I bet it just does that, but for whatever reason increases recoil. Id use the laser sight instead as it doesnt increase recoil.

Comment

The laser sight increases hip-fire accuracy while the heavy barrel increases aimed fire.

Comment

Hmmm, Maybe a test is in order, but I dont think it improves anything.

Comment

It may increase aimed fire, but I feel like it adds more recoil than it adds accuracy boost. My aim is definitely much better with aimed fire without the heavy barrel. I just use the laser sight now for the hip fire accuracy boost and the ability to blind enemies (and teammates)

And speaking of this, I read somewhere that the silencer reduces recoil and so helps accuracy? In other games, I have felt the silencer makes the guns slightly more accurate, and I feel the same in this game. Test that too

Comment

Heavy barrel increases the accuracy in aimed fire (decreases the dispersion) but increasse the recoil, it's good for singleshot or burst weapons mostly. I don't like it either except on the AN-94/KH2002.

Silencer reduces recoil, doesn't change accuracy, reduces damage at long distance and increases bullet drop (and you don't show on the minimap of course).

Comment

Working...
                              X