Necessary hardware to record video and audio from a desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necessary hardware to record video and audio from a desktop

I dont want to use software like fraps to record.

I want to record video and audio from my desktop but i dont understand mutch about the matter, using software like fraps affects performance and i hate that, from everything i have searched i found this wich is the ideal but its waaaay too expensive: http://www.epiphan.com/products/reco...-recorder-std/. I am sure there are cheaper ways to do what i want, something like this: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html, but this i wouldnt know how to record the audio from my desktop, also it would require another PC wich i dont want to acquire and it doenst support 16:10... i want to record at 1920x1200 resolution wich makes it even more complicated.

I believe it is possible to do what i want using a PVR/DVR but i am not sure wich products i really need and the setup necessary... my video output is DVI and the audio outputs are from a motherboard asus P7H55-M (Optical S/PDIF out ports) but i supose its coaxial 3.5mm... i dont understand mutch about it...

I hope i will get some help in here... if not at least tell me where i can find help, thank you.

Re: Necessary hardware to record video and audio from a desktop

Yeah, good luck with that. Usually recording something from a desktop takes some type of software to help do it. Even the links you provided has a device that is encoding/decoding the formats with their programmed software formats.

Any of the PVR/DVR systems still need to have software installed and running to do it.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Use HDMI and send the output through a standard stand-alone PVR?
      I am not sure if it will resize it to TV-format, but sometimes you have to accept that you cant get the optimal solution.

Comment

I have found a software solution thats almost doesnt affect performance, Dxtory, makes fraps almost useless.

Comment

There are many other screen recorder can help you record screen with audio. The one I used can help me record my desktop, video player, webcam and record audio from speaker or external voice from Microphone (or system MCI) to make the videos tutorials that I created easy to understand.

And it also help save the recorded file to standard video format file, you can also convert the video format according to your requirement.

It is very smart tool that can record all events on your screen.

Comment

Originally posted by [11AD]EZ|Rec.DooMkIII
            I have found a software solution thats almost doesnt affect performance, Dxtory, makes fraps almost useless.
            Dxtory ended up being a horrific pile of crap when I tried to use it. File sizes ended up being larger and it had a MUCH greater impact on my in-game framerate than Fraps and Fraps is already a hard hitter. I tried all manner of settings and tried saving to each of my hard drives to see if that had any impact.

All you really need is Fraps. If you're recording only your desktop without a game, the framerate hit is minimal. Just be sure to save to a hard drive that has a good write speed if the rest of your hardware is up to snuff. If you're recording a game, set it to 1280x720p max if you have a desktop resolution higher than that normally. 720p videos are just fine. 1080p videos are typically a waste.

Comment

There is a nice list of recording software here:

Thank you for visiting the TechnologyGuide network. Unfortunately, these forums are no longer active. We extend a heartfelt thank you to the entire community for their steadfast support—it is really you, our readers, that drove
              "Crunch's First Officer"
              twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Working...
              X