Possible Security Risk in Battlefield 3 Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Security Risk in Battlefield 3 Beta

Im not sure what to make of it and it may be nothing, but there seems to be some rogue servers up running larger sizes and different game modes.

Normally that wouldnt be much of a big deal except Zh1nt0 posted this:

Knowing first hand that in BF2 it wasn't that difficult for people to spoof GUIDs the same may apply or something else.

Zh1nt0 may also be giving the warning simply because if there is a leak in files, maybe something has been edited.

The thing is that if someone wanted to be nefarious, they would simply make a 32 metro rush server and give it a generic name and then we wouldnt know any different.

So take this with a grain of salt and maybe play a bit more cautiously.

UPDATE: Looks like this is not just a simple warning, but an actual problem. Everyone playing the beta on PC may need to think twice about doing so until these security issues get resolved.

Source
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Re: Possible Security Risk in Battlefield 3 Beta

I saw a 250 player servers , it was labeled as an EA test server so i joined before knowing any of this, metro 64 man conquest, player count was messed with too as it only had 14 people yet showed as having 110, everyone's ranked maxed out, saw a flying UAV....map has much more potential as as conquest but very linear.

EA needs to make a public announcement because the only mention of it is that twitter and a thread buried in their forum that has no search function, they mentioned a possible ban for anyone caught contentiously playing on them and cited that thread as THE warning but then closed the thread and let it get buried. I've also seen bogus 32 man operation metro rush now too.

Battlelog is a free social platform that ties into Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 3 and lets you socialize, track stats, plan your next game, and more from your web browser!

I'm sorry but this one's on their shoulders....warning they cant guarantee account security? then guess what? they better shut the beta down right now because whats to stop a hacker who wants to do anything malicious with your account from opening up a 32 man rush metro and copy and pate a legit name? guess what.......they are already, I've seen them, all looks legit except players rank up like crazy.

Either they have just been caught feeding us, the customer a total bullshit lie in an attempt to scare people or they are being absolutely and totally wreckless with people account information by not stopping the beta immediately, ether way, it's a totally unprofessional and asinine move that DICE seems to be making a habit of of late, getting a little to big for the britches. If all it takes is a spoofed server to gain access to account information you'd think they would be a little more concerned.

You should of heard the teamspeak for the clan....you would of thought it was a putang giveaway the way people wanted to get into them so if it's a security risk they are almost irresistible for people to not want to join and give a hacker an endless supply of victims. WTF are they thinking?

Comment

Oh hey, what's going on in...

(not my video, obviously)

Comment

yea DICE!!! can i haz a fully automatic RPG?

shaking my head.......at-least now the hax creators get an early start.

Comment

holy shit....

Comment

I am playing on consoles right now until DICE gets this fixed. What do people have to ruin the game play for others?

Comment

Well, with all this going on now, I guess this just made front page news. I dont know if I would continue playing the beta now.

Crunch

Comment

The Defaced Security Team has released the server files so who knows what the heck is possible now.

Comment

Is there anything confirmed about possible security risks? Both warnings mention possible account compromises, but it seemed to me to be a way for them to get people not to play on the hacked servers. If there is a real threat, they obviously knew of it beforehand (those warnings were posted very soon after the leak), and should actually say what is going on.
                  Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

If there's a risk, they probably won't say anything for a while, at least until they have some solution to fix it in place. Why alert the masses as to what the security hole is or even that there might be on if they don't have to? Keep it contained, keep it relatively quiet and then say afterwards what's going on. I kind of doubt there's any real problem for clients here, but you never know. Also, I have never heard of this "Defaced Security Team" before now.

Comment

Surely its ok to play on servers that we know are safe?

Comment

I don't think there's any risk, I bet they are just angry fans that wanted to play Caspian Border or OP Metro Conquest, whenever they wanted. And since DICE does not like that, they're just going bananas over it.

Comment

Shouldn't login and client updates be handled by EAs own servers anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
                            Surely its ok to play on servers that we know are safe?
                            You can, but how would you know? Chances are DICE isnt going to ban people at all and if they do it would have to be very obvious what was going on. So it could be fine as long as you stick with known servers.

Originally posted by SgtMattBaker
                            I don't think there's any risk, I bet they are just angry fans that wanted to play Caspian Border or OP Metro Conquest, whenever they wanted. And since DICE does not like that, they're just going bananas over it.
                            There has been a few people mention their scores getting set to negative numbers. How legit is that? I dont know if I believe it. There is some stat padding going on now though and I have seen people in servers with extremely high ranks. Im talking Colonel level and up.

Another thing I wouldnt do anymore is use quick connect because we dont know if it will take you into one of these servers. Since its seen in battlelog, I dont see why it couldnt do that. Here is a pic I just took on the first few servers in my browser that came up:

So these leaked servers are already spreading.

Crunch

Comment

Ok what are the actual RISKS of going into these servers then?

Comment

Working...
                              X