Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battlefield 3 Footage LEAKED!

Originally posted by Lordsethonan
    It's the walk after the baby steps of BC2; with such a powerful particle engine, smoke grenades and dust from explosions can work as intended to use as cover; not just effects that can be reduced with a slider leaving you completely open to retaliation.

this next paragraph is me wishful thinking: But how about you use smoke to cover advancing troops, and the enemy moves one of their choppers to make a pass over it and remove it? From the looks of the video it's not just "points dancing in the lights" particles, but real SMOKE that casts shadows, blocks light, can be affected by physics like wind and heat, can be dispersed and is not static. This could also mean that there are some other physics in place like true optics, and then killcam will be the least of the worries for snipers; it looks the engine can both simulate and emulate optical effects in real time.

Usually in a game when you see something explode, a light is generated (sometimes) so you can see it, but it doesn't affect its surroundings in any way. So how would oyu like wreckages from planes and tanks to stay burning on the ground for a bit and the heat distorting vision and forcing whoever stands near to cast shadows if appropiate? I'm not saying they will program it, but the engine at this stage shows it can be done by the engine itself.

Look near the end of the video demonstration, the cars exploding near the building iluminate zones you can't clearly see as they are shadowed.

But maybe somebody in this thread is right and this isn't impressive at all.
    i'd say the particles are static/animated, not physics. if they where they would cause damn loads of lag. and till now i think the only games who have that all have physx integrated

Comment

Originally posted by Lordsethonan
      But maybe somebody in this thread is right and this isn't impressive at all.
      Effects are nice and all, but they say nothing about the gameplay.

How many times do I need to say this?

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
        Effects are nice and all, but they say nothing about the gameplay.

How many times do I need to say this?
        And the GDC isn't about showing off gameplay for the public. The point was to show off the capabilities of game engine.

How many times do I have to say this? It's like you just go into every thread and try to be as obnoxious as you can about everything. It's not actual criticism, it's just whining and trying to stir up trouble.

Comment

Everyone has something they are looking for in the footage. Unfortunatly gameplay is best shown during a beta and actually playing the game for yourself.

It is true that GDC isnt about gameplay but design. Nothing wrong with pointing out that there isnt much gameplay to see.

Crunch
          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by jimykx
            i'd say the particles are static/animated, not physics. if they where they would cause damn loads of lag. and till now i think the only games who have that all have physx integrated
            Yes and it's been reported this was done on a single 580GTX; maybe with LOADS of ram put in. Obviously this is a tech demo to show the capabilities of the new engine on the most powerful system they could build, far from the standard gamer PC.

So it is done with current technology, that's the awesome part, this is not a tech demo lagging (like Crysis, wich couldn't be played on anything available at launch at max settings) and struggling to run. We should also recall that BC2 is more demanding on single player and it has better graphics in single player so we can (un)safely assume they will optimize the engine even further and hopefully, the multiplayer part will feature graphics at least as nice as BC2 single player at max settings with virtually no slowdowns during hectic multiplayer.

Gameplay, in the end, is limited to what the engine itself can achieve and allow; the tech demo map looks massive not horizontally, but vertically and shows that a lot of depth can be achieved.

Would you say no to multiplayer maps where buildings are more than ornaments and background and you can actually enter them? It would modify the urban maps completely wich actual strategy needed to navigate through the alleys and rooms; cos if this engine can pull off that kind of detail for closed environments it is more safe to assume open ended terrain would be rendered much more easily allowing for even BIGGER maps; so yeah, there is excitement to be had from single player tech demos.

Also we are far from launch, we all saw how much the BC2 client improved from closed to open beta to launch client, DICE shenanigans regarding balance aside.

this tech demo demonstrates that the grounding is there to build a game far beyond classic pew pew you are dead because I run on minimal settings; as always, up to the developer to integrate said effects beyond eye candy.

Comment

Alright, im already tired of all the gameplay videos showing the effects. I want some facts about the game.

Comment

well i remember back in the days when bf2 came out and nobody could run it maxed out :P

Comment

jesus, I need to save up big time! This looks like a monster of a game. But my mind will stay intact for the most part until I see some multiplayer.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoster
                    jesus, I need to save up big time! This looks like a monster of a game. But my mind will stay intact for the most part until I see some multiplayer.
                    Same, at least i got a summer job to help pay for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X