The Technology Behind BF3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Technology Behind BF3

BF2142 sold about 2 million copies, if I recall correctly. Not quite as high as the 2.5 million for BF2, but that's not enough to say the game didn't matter.

Plus, in comparison with much bigger and more popular games 2.5 million is nothing, even in the FPS world. Pretty much every Valve game has out sold DICE's games by a huge margin.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_
      BF2142 sold about 2 million copies, if I recall correctly. Not quite as high as the 2.5 million for BF2, but that's not enough to say the game didn't matter.
      Are we still discussing this?
      VrekiFact(TM): BF2 was just a prototype to see if the engine could perform, BF2142 was the real, finished product.
      That is just as valid an argument as the "just a mod" nonsense

Comment

I always though BF2142 was a more polished game than BF2, although I like some more of the gameplay elements in BF2.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
          Are we still discussing this?
          VrekiFact(TM): BF2 was just a prototype to see if the engine could perform, BF2142 was the real, finished product.
          That is just as valid an argument as the "just a mod" nonsense
          People keep bringing it up... I just feel compelled to defend the game.

Comment

I still think the three are bc1 bc2 and now bf3. It's the only way it could fit and keep it in context.

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Plus, in comparison with much bigger and more popular games 2.5 million is nothing, even in the FPS world. Pretty much every Valve game has out sold DICE's games by a huge margin.
              The only battlefields that have been for more than just PC are BC and BC2 and now BF3.

Most of Valve's games were released for more than PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
                The only battlefields that have been for more than just PC are BC and BC2 and now BF3.

Most of Valve's games were released for more than PC.
                Half Life 2 has sold 12 million copies since release in 2004. It was only released for consoles in 2007 with the orange box. You could triple BF2 sales and they still don't even come close. http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/02...ne-mayhem.html

They don't release sales data for Steam generally and you can mostly only find data on retail sales, which are small compared to Steam sales.

*shrugs*

Comment

Half Life 2 has sold 12 million copies since release in 2004. It was only released for consoles in 2007 with the orange box. You could triple BF2 sales and they still don't even come close. http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/02...ne-mayhem.html

They don't release sales data for Steam generally and you can mostly only find data on retail sales, which are small compared to Steam sales.

*shrugs*
                  Wrong. Half Life has been released on consoles long before 2007. Half Life 1 was on PS2 and Half Life 2 was on Xbox. Check Wikipedia.

Comment

Meh anyone can buy a crap game(and im not calling it crap) but just look at the amount of impulse buying on the modern warfare fail.

So to me its not about sales its about whos playing it today and how long is the game lasting, what are the server numbers?.

I also think that wiki site stop counting BF in 2007 as wiki sites are known to be wrong info sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian Spire
                      Wrong. Half Life has been released on consoles long before 2007. Half Life 1 was on PS2 and Half Life 2 was on Xbox. Check Wikipedia.
                      Xbox, not PS2, in 2005. I wasn't aware of that. It sill doesn't defeat my argument.

Originally posted by Rambo
                      Meh anyone can buy a crap game(and im not calling it crap) but just look at the amount of impulse buying on the modern warfare fail.

So to me its not about sales its about whos playing it today and how long is the game lasting, what are the server numbers?.

I also think that wiki site stop counting BF in 2007 as wiki sites are known to be wrong info sometimes.
                      So you think BF2 sales went from 2.5 million to over 12 million from 2007 to the present? Unless they did Valve games are much more popular with the PC gaming crowd. TF2 is always in the top 10 played games on Steam (not sure if you know what that is or not), above MW2 and Black Ops. You can check the numbers right now if you want.

Here are the current Steam rankings as of right now.
                      14,632 Counter-Strike: Source
                      13,862 Sid Meier's Civilization V
                      13,385 Team Fortress 2
                      13,319 Counter-Strike
                      10,790 RIFT
                      10,634 Call of Duty Black Ops - Multiplayer
                      7,984 Left 4 Dead 2
                      7,062 Dawn of War II - Retribution
                      5,695 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
                      5,439 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
                      4,638 Fallout New Vegas

Comment

Gotta love how both of the CS games with are both years older than any game on that list, are still at the top.

Comment

No i dont think BF sales beat orange box, orange box was a genious plan that other devopers should do.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo
                            No i dont think BF sales beat orange box, orange box was a genious plan that other devopers should do, except DICE.
                            Fixed :wee:

Crunch

Comment

BF naming just confuses me. I'm still not sure why BF2 was 2, and certainly not why BF3 is 3.

Also repost.
                              There was B1942; this is technically BF1 with its own graphical engine.
                              BF: Vietnam used a modified and upgraded BF1 engine.

BF2 introduced a completely different engine for the game; hence the 2.

2142 used a modified BF2 engine.

Bad Company uses a completely different engine than the previous games; but it's a spinoff.

BF3 uses an upgraded and modified Frostbite engine; technically it's a new engine altogether; hence the 3.

Comment

Yeah, but:

1942 = Date = BF1
                                Vietnam = War = BF2
                                2 = Number = BF3
                                2142 = Date = BF4 (Or 3.5 for some of you)
                                3 = Number = BF5

If we go by engine, it would have to be:

1942 = BF1
                                Vietnam = BF1.5
                                2 = BF2
                                2142 = BF2.5
                                3 = BF3

I dont know if that would really fit as they were all independent games from each other in very different timelines.

Now how I think it should have been named:

1942 = BF1942
                                Vietnam = BF1974
                                2 = BF2002
                                2142 = BF2142
                                BF3 - BF2014

But this naming scheme would only be for timeline consistency. DICE wants to make it clear that BF3 is the sequal to BF2. Since they named it BF2 instead of BF2002, the next step is BF3. Even though they made a mini game of 1942 and called it 1943, though I dont think many consider that a direct sequal, since it was all the same maps and things 1942 had.

In the end, they can call it whatever is easiest and I think thats what they did with BF2, messing it all up.

Crunch

Comment

Working...
                                X