Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hardware for this bad boy?

Originally posted by jake_
    Consoles aren't just a PC in a box with a company label on them. They work, and process data differently. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that reason doesn't make any sense.

I'd think it's because the game is much more optimized than BF2 was.
    The hardware on one system does restrict other systems though. The CPU is a great example. BC2 was very CPU intensive on the PC and barely utilized the GPU (that has changed slightly since release). Consoles have fantastic CPUs but poor GPUs, so games designed for them have to reflect that. Basically, they port the game and don't change that framework too much.
    Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

yea they really need to code the game to use more GPU because the CPUs had to carry the load in BC2. reeks of console programming. the little we gained in GPU usage since release was from driver updates from GPU manufacturers.

Comment

remember when the media was saying the terrorists were buying up all the PS3's and were going to link them all together to make one big super computer.
        "Crunch's First Officer"
        twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Originally posted by signa
          remember when the media was saying the terrorists were buying up all the PS3's and were going to link them all together to make one big super computer.
          You mean this?

Comment

WTF

Using playstations to bomb people

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo
              WTF

Using playstations to bomb people
              They only do everything!

Except play playstation 2 games.

Crunch
              Twitter: @CptainCrunch
              Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by jake_
                Consoles aren't just a PC in a box with a company label on them. They work, and process data differently. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that reason doesn't make any sense.

I'd think it's because the game is much more optimized than BF2 was.
                Oh, I dont thinkt they are that different. As far as I know, the major design difference is that the console have multicore CPU, weak GFX cards and low memory.

So console games will tend to let the CPU handle more of the work than you would on a PC.
                Multile cores in mainstream PC are still a relatively new thing.

That means that your game will be designed to use a little memory as possible and be very multithreaded.
                The PC is similar enough that they dont have to do it all from scratch, but put the console design on a PC with a fast CPU with few threads, tons of memory and a FX10/11 GFX card, and you are going to have a lot of wasted potential.

Comment

Working...
                X