Hardware for this bad boy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware for this bad boy?

Hey guys haven't posted in forever mainly because I went to console gaming (too much money to keep up a good rig). But BF3 may be breaking me out of my retirement (BF2 was the last PC title I played). I had already planned on building a nice gaming rig late this Summer before I go to college so I have something to do instead of homework . With the official announcement of BF3 this Fall it's definitely got me excited. Any good ideas on what I should start looking at so I can properly run this thing?

Re: Hardware for this bad boy?

DX10 will be min.

If you want to play on high you will need a new "powercomputer", But it should play on low with a 2 year old computer DX10 system.

Comment

The game will be 32bit, but frostbite is designed to take more RAM if available. Also, frostbite 1.5 was CPU heavy. DICE has been trying to load balance that more onto the graphics card, but if you get a nice graphics card with DX11, a good i5/i7 style processor, Windows 7 64bit, and at least 4 gigs of RAM, I think that would be a pretty good setup.

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I would wait til around release date to build though.

Comment

Latest I can have it up and running would be the first of September. We move into the dorms September 16 and class starts the 21st (really late since we're still on quarters as to everyone else being on semesters). I would like to have it ready to go and have all my files transferred over and programs installed by the first of September so I feel comfortable with it. Release date probably won't be until the end of November so it's not as close to what I'd like.

Comment

I just mean on account of getting the most bang for buck and not having to upgrade something to achieve those FPS you want. You never know when 1 more month could have put you in that card that really makes the difference. Maybe wait til last moment to grab the video card.

Just don't build a computer today to play a game that at most wont be released for 6 months if you are lucky.

Comment

^ I agree.

You can probably buy your processor (i7 would be the best option), RAM, case, stuff like that. Wait to buy your video card, as those advance rapidly. If you really want to use it, you can buy a cheap video card to get everything set up and change it out later.
              Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Still coming up with the cash anyways so it won't be for a while yet. Just wanted to kind of get an idea on what I was looking at.

Comment

I'm running BC2 on a C2D OC'd to 2.8ghz and an 8800gt (also OC'd a wee bit), on high settings. I'm sure BF3 will be more of a CPU/VGA hog, but if I can still run a Frostbite 2.0 game on high settings (admittedly only at 1280x1024), I doubt you'll need that much PC power to play the game.

You need a DX10 card, but that's about it, really.

If you hook yourself up with a midrange CPU and something like an Nvidia 460 gtx and at least 4GB of RAM you'll be more than OK.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                    The game will be 32bit, but frostbite is designed to take more RAM if available. Also, frostbite 1.5 was CPU heavy. DICE has been trying to load balance that more onto the graphics card, but if you get a nice graphics card with DX11, a good i5/i7 style processor, Windows 7 64bit, and at least 4 gigs of RAM, I think that would be a pretty good setup.

Crunch
                    That being said, why doesn't BC2 use much ram? I'll watch it on the system monitor and it uses 500~600mb of ram, whereas BF2 would use 1.9gb of my 4gb?
                    "Crunch's First Officer"
                    twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Originally posted by signa
                      That being said, why doesn't BC2 use much ram? I'll watch it on the system monitor and it uses 500~600mb of ram, whereas BF2 would use 1.9gb of my 4gb?
                      Yea whats up with dat?

Comment

Is it related to consoles?lol

how much ram do they have?512-1 gig?

Comment

Yeah 512, it must be mostly because of consoles.

Comment

That's why I want to get this game for PC. It seems like DICE and EA are investing more into the PC version but "not making the console versions a port" at the same time. I hope they give out the mod tools though because that's a huge edge PC gamers have over console gamers not to mention they don't have to pay $10 for 3-5 new maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo
                              Is it related to consoles?lol

how much ram do they have?512-1 gig?
                              Consoles aren't just a PC in a box with a company label on them. They work, and process data differently. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that reason doesn't make any sense.

I'd think it's because the game is much more optimized than BF2 was.

Comment

Working...
                              X