Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do players "sit back" while using bolt-action rifles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do players "sit back" while using bolt-action rifles?

Well in every conquest and RUSH I've been to, I saw most of the recons with bolt-action rifles sitting on the edge of the map picking off targets (and missing...Don't forget missing :shakehead Isn't it easier to kill (and to die, I admit) pushing alongside teammates? Recons balls could save your dumb assault buddy's life. (No 40 mm me now).

I drag shoot (flick shots), the concept is you zoom IMMEDIATELY when you see someone, then drag your scope pass/ on him and click. Remember to ZOOM NEAR HIM. Don't do it for long range targets. Short to midrange is best.

Yes you may
    -over drag
    -drag too little
    -the guy ran out of your scope range
    -missed in general
    -hit an object around him instead

I do miss, and I pay with a death, but you'll get a hang of it.

I understand, theoretically, going against MG3 with a bolt action makes no sense. But look at it this way, inside a room, any shot from your bolt-action rifle kills, no matter where you hit the guy (even neutering him in the process).

Another point is that once you zoom on a guy in mid-range, it's VERY EASY TO HIT HIM. Since you are going with a magnifying glass on his entire torso. Drag your shot up a bit and you'll get a headshot. From that, you practise drag shots. Long range, you can hit him, he can't hit you.

Even if you hit his torso and he is still jumping around, a single shot from any pistol would've put him down for good.

Mortars doesn't kill as hard or as satisfying as C4s. If the guy is on the ledge, toss a C4 up and watch him fly down. IF the guy is on the second floor, slap a C4 on two walls and watch him get evicted. If the guy is under you, toss a C4, watch him fly. Did you know C4 go through gaps? Did you know C4s can kill a squad without sending them running in different directions?

The setup I use is:
    M9
    SV98 (bigger clip, less reload, keep shooting - given that you can hit)
    C4
    Magnum AMMO
    Extra Explosives.

The reason I don't use advanced scope is mainly a personal one, I m used to BF2 scopes without zooming capabilities.

I discourage using M95, scope time too long. Reload takes forever.

My usual conquest score on Arica Conquest 32/32 is around 20 ish with single digit death. About 4 kills are from C4s. 5 kills are from pistols. Around 5k points from various awards. Most common: headshot, rifle efficiency, explosive, kill streak pins (6 and 8), as well as pistol pins.

Use sniper rifles like a WWII rifle with iron sight, not a telescope.

I leave off with a challenge, grab a GOL magnum or M24 or SV98. Go door to door and pick off targets.

You'll stink a bit, for 10 rounds or so, then you'll start picking up pace and do no scopes, headshots easily.

Re: Why do players "sit back" while using bolt-action rifles?

Maybe people don't care about being the best but enjoy sitting back and sniping from distance?

Comment

I SUCK at close combat shooting'
      (yes - I blame my FSP)
      BUT I ALWAYS use recon balls and get TONS of spot assists
      BUT
      imagine my ANGER when I have to SCREEM 1-00000000000000000000000000000 times for ammo
      accept for my son -
      I NEVER EVER EVER EVER Never got any ammo in game - even from assault squad mates
      even when I chase them into battle and am standing right next to them
      so,
      off to the hiding places for long range shots with GOL
      sometimes (Laguna Pressa) might crawl around the infield with VSS

Comment

Because the whole point of sniping is picking off targets at long distance and mortar some heavy machinegun/cluster of infantry/vehicles with the explo perk? On rush it can help a lot to call a mortar strike on an armed MCOM and sniping the guys that come to disarm. You just need to know what you're doing and be in a map that allow you to snipe from afar effectively.

Of course you can go close combat with a sniper rifle but you can do the same with a shotgun and still have some good medium-long distance engagements with slugs.

Comment

You get more points when sniping someone from a long distance. I think one time I got over 500 points for doing that along with 50 points for the kill.

Comment

I cant speak for every recon player, but as for myself, I sit back because I want to play sniper. Not recon or secondary support, but sniper. When I am sitting back like that, I want to relax and just enjoy what the game is and watch whats going on. I dont feel like run n gun (which I also do as sniper). I want to play the game the way I want to play it. Im not cheating/stacking/hacking and as long as you stay away from whatever target I am protecting or my team is going for, you wont be bothered by me. Sometimes I just use my sniper rifle to spot out others and rack in the spot points.

Now I dont really qualify in this post because I dont always miss, I spot, I sneak around and blow stuff up, so I am active in the game, just not in the front lines. Usually behind enemy lines or in the back.

I dont know if others find the sniper class easier to use. I dont think any one class is and my ratios per class shows them all about the same. I think people like to pick on the recon class because it looks like the player isnt doing anything. Meanwhile the assault class isnt dropping ammo and tubing, the engi class isnt repairing vehicles and CGing, and the medic class isnt reviving or throwing down med packs, but spamming the M60. The thing is they are all dying while the sniper is in the back getting knifed

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I don't mind if they sit 20miles away as long as they can get enemies from that distance. I hate it when you hear a million sniper shots and no kills because it is like the team is down a few members. It gets annoying especially on that map that starts the defenders on an island. (Isla something) If the knife was actually useful I would be rushing like there is no tomorrow with my sniper kit like I did in BF2.

Comment

Originally posted by bradino27
                I don't mind if they sit 20miles away as long as they can get enemies from that distance. I hate it when you hear a million sniper shots and no kills because it is like the team is down a few members. It gets annoying especially on that map that starts the defenders on an island. (Isla something) If the knife was actually useful I would be rushing like there is no tomorrow with my sniper kit like I did in BF2.
                Precisely lol....

Right, the Marksman bonus is given IF someone can hit from that far. Frankly, many people can't. I can't either sometimes, one little move from either you or your target will ruin your aim.

Most of the time I hear a lot of shots but no kills.

Also, it's very easy to pick off a recon sitting at the edge of the map or behind a rock. There are only so "many" places they can hide. Just have to try each one.

Whereas a moving recon is very difficult to catch, buildings usually have a nice vantage point and faces 4 directions.

Another fun part of mobile recon is "people can't openly declare you a aimbot." Face it, you got shot point blank or your face is half of my scope.

EDIT: Okay, maybe I m using the recon as a skirmisher. Hit and run kind of persona.

I don't get a lot of marksman, but my recon ball, kill assists, crit assists, and all the other nice points and awards make up for that.

Comment

Why do we have camping snipers in every game?
                  A) Because it is the easiest, safest way to pad your K/D ratio
                  B) Because the other ten snipers on the team are morons, and should GTFO of your favourite sniping spot.
                  C) Because real-life infantry squads are at least 3/4 snipers.
                  D) Because the game is so much more fun when everybody is covering behind rocks.
                  E) Because snipers are l337

But in the end the blame must fall on the game designers. People camp because that is what the games encourages and rewards. And in games the weapons of the elite are adapted to become the tools of the halfwit.
                  I like how they did it in BF2142, you got a bonus for actually doing stuff near your squads objective.

Comment

Long range sniping is so much fun! It doesn't really matter if you miss a lot, nothing beats seeing some pixely mess on the other side of the map closely resembling a soldier, firing off a shot and getting a kill half a second later. It has this prestige about it that people like, regardless if you're good at it or not.

Comment

Not to mention the entertainment value when you keep picking off the same guy, move to a slightly different location, watch him looking for you, and pick him off again, and again, and again. Good times.

Comment

I am a skirmisher at best, fire and maneuver.

If half of the team is sniper, then the enemy will either counter-snipe or push up hill. Then start base raping.

Comment

god forbid snipers snipe from distance! :laugh:

Comment

^ QFT.

Good rounds of being a skirmisher.

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
                              Long range sniping is so much fun! It doesn't really matter if you miss a lot, nothing beats seeing some pixely mess on the other side of the map closely resembling a soldier, firing off a shot and getting a kill half a second later. It has this prestige about it that people like, regardless if you're good at it or not.
                              Half a second? You're not doing long-range. =P

Comment

Working...
                              X