Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Universal weaponry in Vietnam and other games

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
    BF2 had their default classes as sides, but unlocks were all the same. Would that work ok?

Crunch
    Noobs still used G63E over M16 Ak-47 and AK-101 which was a huge mistake.

Comment

I remember before CoDWaW came out this was major issue for me. I thought that having Japanese soldiers running around with Tommy guns or having Marines carrying MP40's would ruin the atmosphere of the game. After playing for a while I barely noticed it. It was a complete non factor and I'm a big WW2 fan/nut.

Comment

Not a major issue but still it's better to see every factions with their own weaponry, better for immersion and you can add some gameplay variety with each weapon having its pro/con.

Comment

That has always bothered me too. How hard is it to unlock both a Russian and a US weapon at once?

To me it is just a lack of creativity on the part of the developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
            Given DiceĀ“s current approach to balancing, distinct weapons for each side would be a disaster.
            We would almost certainly end up with one side having the advantage. And while the weapon-of-the-month crowd is annoying, a similar zerg following team-off-the-month would ruin the game.

I would prefer functional identical weapons with different skins and sound for each side. Functional Identical = shared code, because I can also see Dice denying bugs in a particular gun for years.

Of course we will then have a crowd whining that the M16 and AK47 are very different in real life, but I can live with that.
            I don't think that's necessary, it makes the game kinda bland in my eyes, even if it is a small detail.

CS did it so that CT's had M4s and Terrorists had AKs (and etc.) and it worked out great. The AK had more recoil but killed with one bullet to the head or 3 to the chest, and the M4 killed with 2 shots to the head and 4 shots to the chest but had less recoil. It was simple but balanced.

There were also weapons that both teams could buy, like the sniper rifles, and certain assault rifles, but most were based on which team you were on.

Comment

Originally posted by =)BiT(= Evant3k
              Noobs still used G63E over M16 Ak-47 and AK-101 which was a huge mistake.
              Truth.

Comment

i also hate this about games nowdays. if games like MOHAA and COD1 could handle balancing WW2 weapons which were far more unbalanced than modern weapons (kar98<M1, PPSH>mp40, StG44>all) than you would think they could make a balanced faction based weaponry with modern or even vietnam era weapons.

although i have to admit BFBC2 did not suffer a bit because they added the other faction's random yelling to tell you if an enemy was near, so instead of hearing an mp40 and knowing a german was near, your hear an AN94 and hear russian yelling to know an enemy is near. it works.

Comment

Originally posted by (BG)Patton
                  i also hate this about games nowdays. if games like MOHAA and COD1 could handle balancing WW2 weapons which were far more unbalanced than modern weapons (kar98<M1, PPSH>mp40, StG44>all) than you would think they could make a balanced faction based weaponry with modern or even vietnam era weapons.

although i have to admit BFBC2 did not suffer a bit because they added the other faction's random yelling to tell you if an enemy was near, so instead of hearing an mp40 and knowing a german was near, your hear an AN94 and hear russian yelling to know an enemy is near. it works.
                  KAR98<M1 WHAT?

Dude, you trippin.

Comment

Well i have been playing MOH beta, and so i have already basicaly used the AK47 in bfbc... sooooo im fine, and not buying vietnam for now.
                    Only if they decide to make a 2143

Comment

Working...
                    X