Universal weaponry in Vietnam and other games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal weaponry in Vietnam and other games

Who else feels kind of disappointed that Vietnam will use universal weapon pool- each faction can choose whatever weapon they like, be it the latest US tech or some other kind of gadgetry that the vietcong no way would have gotten their hands on?

Imo it is just a cop-out of not needing to balance different factions` weapons. Why balanced the guns if every single person can choose the same exact rifle?

Also, it looks stupid. WaW is a good example where every single american is using russian weaponry, chinese american and russian chinese.

Re: Universal weaponry in Vietnam and other games

Originally posted by L3adcannon
    Who else feels kind of disappointed that Vietnam will use universal weapon pool- each faction can choose whatever weapon they like, be it the latest US tech or some other kind of gadgetry that the vietcong no way would have gotten their hands on?

Imo it is just a cop-out of not needing to balance different factions` weapons. Why balanced the guns if every single person can choose the same exact rifle?

Also, it looks stupid. WaW is a good example where every single american is using russian weaponry, chinese american and russian chinese.
    You have CoD4 to thank for that, if I'm not mistaken.

I would like to go back to seeing M16's in allied hands and AK's in opposing hands though.

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d

I would like to go back to seeing M16's in allied hands and AK's in opposing hands though.
      Think CoD4 was the first one with that, probably have to do with the rank system (if you unlock a weapon, most people don't want to wait until they're on the "right side" to use it). Think it's a shame too though.

Comment

Yea, I know exactly what you mean, for some reason I thought this would be different...

I remember games where if you heard a certain weapon close by it was just a feeling of "Oh shoot, thats the enemy." but now its just every weapon for itself haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Kylee!
          Yea, I know exactly what you mean, for some reason I thought this would be different...

I remember games where if you heard a certain weapon close by it was just a feeling of "Oh shoot, thats the enemy." but now its just every weapon for itself haha.
          Don't forget a big red dot on the mini-map saying, "an enemy just shot from here you deaf twat".

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d

COD has ruined a lot of things for FPS. Enabled the stupid console kiddies to join and ruin the development process because the games had to be dumbed down. *gasp* We couldn't make people adjust to a different weapon if they're on a different faction.

Comment

Back to the Counter-Strike 1.6 Days! Even those days, the M4 was limited to CT and Ak was to T.

Sigh... Well, so much for history. Vietcongs now have access to M16s.

Comment

BF2 had their default classes as sides, but unlocks were all the same. Would that work ok?

Crunch
                Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

i could care less. there are more important things that i'm worried about.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                    BF2 had their default classes as sides, but unlocks were all the same. Would that work ok?

Crunch
                    Yea, I liked that system, kinda had the best of both worlds.

Comment

I had an Idea (but it would seem a little complicated) that every unlock gets you two weapons, one for each side, where appropriate. Like when you unlock the M4A1 you also unlock an AKS74U, Or when you unlock an M24 you unlock a russian bolt action rifle alongside it, or with The SVD you also get the M21... and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by 5t3v0
                        I had an Idea (but it would seem a little complicated) that every unlock gets you two weapons, one for each side, where appropriate. Like when you unlock the M4A1 you also unlock an AKS74U, Or when you unlock an M24 you unlock a russian bolt action rifle alongside it, or with The SVD you also get the M21... and so on.
                        I think that's how the new Medal of Honor works right? That was probably the only thing I liked about that game haha, that it had the right weapons per side.

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
                          i could care less. there are more important things that i'm worried about.
                          Yeah, but then it's just side A versus side B. There aren't pro's/con's to side specific weapons because everyone has access to every weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kylee!
                            I think that's how the new Medal of Honor works right? That was probably the only thing I liked about that game haha, that it had the right weapons per side.
                            ooh, if thats true then Im buying it definately

Comment

Given DiceĀ“s current approach to balancing, distinct weapons for each side would be a disaster.
                              We would almost certainly end up with one side having the advantage. And while the weapon-of-the-month crowd is annoying, a similar zerg following team-off-the-month would ruin the game.

I would prefer functional identical weapons with different skins and sound for each side. Functional Identical = shared code, because I can also see Dice denying bugs in a particular gun for years.

Of course we will then have a crowd whining that the M16 and AK47 are very different in real life, but I can live with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X