Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP Reveal............so far.

Black Ops Introduces Offline Multiplayer — i.e. "Combat Training"

Offline multiplayer matches against AI opponents will be a feature of Call of Duty: Black Ops, a mode the game's studio built to include gamers who are disinclined to spend much time in the game's notoriously challenging online multiplayer culture.

Saying there is a large segment of the Call of Duty community that never takes the game online, offline multiplayer is meant to acclimate new players to the maps and match structure of online play, while still serving as a useful practice for mid-level or veteran players.

Combat Training will be a "complete standalone experience," said Mark Lamia, CEO of Treyarch, the studio designing the game. It will have its own progression system.
    Its no longer about the ranks and badges in the Call of Duty game any more, now its all about the in game monetary system, you gotta buy your ranks and weapons, by betting on your skills and pitting them against other players via ranked servers.

Call of Duty: Black Ops' new Wager Matches are free-form game modes designed to be "adrenaline junkie fun," Treyarch Design Director David Vonderhaar told a gathering of press tonight.

These matches are separate from your standard ranked matches in your online competitive playing. In Wager Match you take the currency you've earned and you can gamble it against other players. You're gambling that you are going to come in the top three on the final scoreboard, we're told.

Here's a run down of the four Wager Match modes:

One in the Chamber: In the match everyone spawns in with a pistol, one bullet and three lives. If you kill someone you get to take their bullet. If you fire and miss you're left with melee.

Sticks and Stones: You spawn with a crossbow, ballistic knife and a tomahawk. If you hit a player with the tomahawk you instantly bankrupt that player.

Gun Game: You get a series of progressive weapons in this match. With every kill you get a better weapon. The first person to progress through all of the weapons wins. But if you get knifed you get sent back one tier.

Sharp Shooter: In this one all players start with the same randomly selected weapon. You get to use that gun for a fixed amount of time and then everyone gets switched out to the next weapon. With each kill you earn a perk and eventually a scoring multiplier.

Customization

Customization will also play a huge part in the new Call of Duty. David Vonderhaar, lead multiplayer designer at Treyarch, told the magazine: “You can create a tag and etch it onto your weapons, so they’re stamped as yours. The option is also there to alter your sights and clip on attachtments such as flame-throwers.”
    These attachments, sights and tags can be bought with in-game cash and will help to make your character ‘unique’. However, it seems likely that some elements of the traditional rank system from previous Call of Duty games will remain, given that players in the Multiplayer Teaser Trailer had ranks next to their names. It’s likely that we’ll find out more on this later tonight, at the Multiplayer Reveal Event.

‘Wager Match’

Another new addition is a Team Tactical gametype called ‘Wager Match’. When you choose to play Wager Match, you’ll be randomly placed in one of four modes: ‘One in the Chamber’, which sees players given one bullet to kill other players: miss, and they’re forced to use the knife, ‘Sharpshooter’, which sees players given a random weapon, ‘Sticks and Stones’, which involves the crossbow, ballistic knife and Tomahawk, and ‘Gun Game’ (formerly a mod for Call of Duty 4), which sees players vying to get kills with 20 different weapons: knife someone, and they move down a level.

Team Deathmatch, the popular and ever-present gametype which pits teams of 6 against each other, will return in Black Ops. However, points for headshots and other bonuses will apparently add to the team score, encouraging players to be as accurate as possible.

Re: MP Reveal............so far.

Hmm, at least they're trying to be original from a pub standpoint. Gun game... haha I remember playing CS 1.6 gun game back in the day.

Comment

More info, photos, etc here: http://www.twitter.com/TGN

Crrrazzzy was there and took some better photos and more details notes than even what we have on the Twitter.

VAC
      Steamworks integration
      Server browser for PC users
      All pc servers through gameservers.com (which is complete bul...)
      16 different camos
      Customizable emblems
      Tags on weapons, etc
      Perks alter your characters appearance
      etc etc... there's more at the link and in the news section here

Comment

Actually rather excited!

Comment

VAC as in the anticheat system? Is that working well for MW2? If that is the anti-cheat system maybe it will be better with dedicated servers and admins on at the time. I know no anti-cheat is 100%, but with my experience with both systems, VAC doesnt seem to do as well.

Crunch
          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
            VAC as in the anticheat system? Is that working well for MW2? If that is the anti-cheat system maybe it will be better with dedicated servers and admins on at the time. I know no anti-cheat is 100%, but with my experience with both systems, VAC doesnt seem to do as well.

Crunch
            VAC isn't the greatest thing ever, but it's not very obtrusive compared to PB that likes to complain a lot about anything really. (I can't use mumble or the steam overlay in CoD4 while both work perfectly in BFBC2 so yeah)

Comment

VAC is better then PB and a lot less hassle. Personal experience when ever I try to get an older game up and running, PB is the biggest pain in the ars (COD series and BF series) and at LANs we are mostly forced to disable PB because for some reason it never works right. I think what will help out a lot is bringing admins back into the fold with the ability to kick obvious hackers ASAP. On the downside, people being kicked by mistake or grieve will make a return, but I'll take that risk. I HATE not being able to kick vote people in MW2, if there was a very obvious HACKER in COD4, they were kicked.

Comment

Here you guys go:
                Homepage for Total Gaming Network and CS-Nation. Get the latest video game news, previews, and reviews on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
                  VAC isn't the greatest thing ever, but it's not very obtrusive compared to PB that likes to complain a lot about anything really. (I can't use mumble or the steam overlay in CoD4 while both work perfectly in BFBC2 so yeah)
                  Originally posted by RangerXML
                  VAC is better then PB and a lot less hassle. Personal experience when ever I try to get an older game up and running, PB is the biggest pain in the ars (COD series and BF series) and at LANs we are mostly forced to disable PB because for some reason it never works right. I think what will help out a lot is bringing admins back into the fold with the ability to kick obvious hackers ASAP. On the downside, people being kicked by mistake or grieve will make a return, but I'll take that risk. I HATE not being able to kick vote people in MW2, if there was a very obvious HACKER in COD4, they were kicked.
                  Like I said, maybe it will be better this time around. For me, it hasnt been for any of my other VAC games.

Crunch
                  Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                  Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I don't think, and correct me if I am wrong, you have to buy your ranks with the points you get just the weapons and other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by stilla-killa
                      I don't think, and correct me if I am wrong, you have to buy your ranks with the points you get just the weapons and other stuff.
                      I think you rank up with xp as well as unlock weapon lists (like the Sniper or Assault list of weapons) then you use your money to pick what weapons and appearances you want.

Comment

Working...
                      X