Looking for an RTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an RTS

Hey chaps I haven't really ever played an rts but I really want to get into one, so I'm looking for a great RTS that has really good multiplayer and is also still beeing played alot ( big community)

So if you think of any rts somone like me can pick up and start playing then let me know

I was think of Starcraft 2 but that's not out for a long time

Thanks in advanced

Re: Looking for an RTS

Starcraft? You can get it cheap and currently its the best RTS on the market, no contest.

Ive personally enjoyed the Supreme Commander (and its expansion pack) a lot. It was an RTS focused on macro (building an army) more than micro (controlling units individually). Supreme Commander 2 is junk, though.

You can always try the Command and Conquer series, but personally I find them too simplistic.

Comment

I saw the RUSE beta and I really think it's frankly one of the most interesting RTS I've ever seen. All that praise just from the beta. Go check it out.

Comment

Yeh I played the ruse beta a little that's what hot me thinking about rts but i wasn't sure about it. Does Starcraft 1 and supreme commander still get played by people?

Also my big this with any game it has to look good, spent alot of money on my rig I like to run games that use it well

Comment

Originally posted by LukeD
          Yeh I played the ruse beta a little that's what hot me thinking about rts but i wasn't sure about it. Does Starcraft 1 and supreme commander still get played by people?

Also my big this with any game it has to look good, spent alot of money on my rig I like to run games that use it well
          Starcraft is probably the most played RTS right now and the skill level in multiplayer is going to be way above yours if you havent played it. It does look graphically a outdated but its THE best RTS game for a truckload of reasons.

SupCom looks very, very nice and still has a following. I would take them both. They are both very different games and they have their specific strenghts.

Comment

Cheers I'm still not sure if I should wait for Starcraft 2 or buy somthing else

graphics are a huge part of games for me, like I cannot go and play old games it hurts to look at, so I'm still very unsure :S

Comment

Originally posted by LukeD
              Cheers I'm still not sure if I should wait for Starcraft 2 or buy somthing else

graphics are a huge part of games for me, like I cannot go and play old games it hurts to look at, so I'm still very unsure :S
              I understand, but you will appreciate gameplay more than graphics if you want to play multiplayer extensively. Starcraft is very cheap, so youll get a fair overview of what Starcraft 2 will be for just 10 dollars. Have a look at Youtube videos, English commentary videos of Korean progaming leagues. If you cant wait, invest into SupCom. It looks amazing, plays great, although multiplayer portion plays significantly different from SP and you might not get the full taste.

Comment

I agree, Starcraft is awesome, and SupremeCommander is an awesome game too.

I would also recommend Warcraft III, a bit newer than Starcraft.

Comment

You could try Warzone 2100 (free): http://wz2100.net/

Comment

Thanks for the link but the game looks just terrible, even if it had the best rts gameplay in the world I wouldn't play it. Not meaning any offence to you just my opinion

I'm gratfull for the sergestion that's why I posted here

My search continues pay day on Friday

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

When i get home from my night shift I'm going to check out Starcraft and supreme commander I'm leaning towards them ATM.

It may seem sad or wrong to pick a game on it's looks but this only bothers me with old games recent games I pick for gameplay because the gfx are at a nice standard anyway il do some more hunting

Comment

Warzone 2100 is easily the most underrated and over-looked game that I can think of in gaming history. I have no desire to get back into starcraft but if anyone wants to play a game of warzone 2100, I'm ready!

On topic though, It seems you are wanting more of the macro type game or at least a game that doesn't focus on micro only?

Example of a game that focuses mainly on micro actions would be Heroes of Newerth which is pretty popular.

Comment

Company of Hereos, the best RTS i have come across to be honest. Look it up.

Comment

Yeah, if you enjoy Micro CoH is a very intense game. As others have said try Supcom, avoid supcom2. The total war series (Rome, medivial 2, empire, Napoleon) are also quite popular with a large modding community. Men of war is also pretty fun (i.e the hilarious voice acting)

Comment

I kinda want a game that easy to play but hard to master, im an ex GW player (my guild got to the top 15 in the rankings i was a healer) and an ex wow player, as i don't play these games any more i kinda need something to fill the void, GW2 isn't out for a long time and i miss wow but refuse to go back.

i played supreme commander 2 demo a little while ago, i kinda thought as i haven't played the first maybe il find it OK. No it was pants :P

So im kinda looking at starcraft right now, im really not sure lol

Comment

I think you might enjoy heroes of newerth and this tutorial will get you into the game quickly.

league of legends is also insanely popular

Comment

Working...
                              X