Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is that a legit UAV?

Originally posted by Kylee!
    The UAV has only killed me around 2-3 times the whole time I've had this game...
    You must be a low value target

Comment

haha

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
        You must be a low value target
        I would love to keep things that way, its easier to shoot people when they're not shooting back. :-P

Comment

The UAV is greatly underutilized by folks in this game. Too many like to take off, fly in, attack, and get shot down.

Don't equip the machine gun - it takes sustained accurate fire to kill anyone anyway. Always equip the advanced optics and then do what it was meant to do - SPOT. Hide in the trees and behind hills and call out the bad guys. If you see a cluster somewhere or a vehicle target, call in the missle strike.

It's an invaluable tool if used correctly.

And yes, while not 100% accurate, its capabilities are pretty close to real life.

Comment

This is what the us military is using atm

Comment

Originally posted by [CR]Pvt.Starcraft
              yeah some sort of predator

Comment

If you use the electronic warfare package when using the UAV, can you teammates see the enemies it scans or do you still have to spot manually?

Comment

Originally posted by Redink
                  Ok, so I don't know too much about the army and stuff but I've seen many UAV in commercial ads and war movies that looks exactly like BF2. It looks like a seagull or something but I was wondering if anyone can confirm if there really is a toy helicopter that is loaded with Anti Tank missle and mini machine gun which is controlled through a Virtual Gameboy in the Army or is EA just trying to be funny?

Oh and I know stilla-killa hates multple same threads so...
                  What does the UAV in BC2 even do? All I see is that it flys around and shoots machine guns and rockets... does it have some sort of radar like the old one of does the controller have to spot manually? Thanks!

Yes there are multiple chopper UAVs that exist. The one in BC2 is a miniature version of the real thing. The real thing can fire it's own hellfires and miniguns without having to call them in.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3CnPHAPzUs[/media]

Does that ring a bell?

Comment

That's simply one of many.

Comment

Originally posted by Redink
                      Ok, so I don't know too much about the army and stuff but I've seen many UAV in commercial ads and war movies that looks exactly like BF2.
                      I do know some army stuff and I'm surprised that, given how prolific the publications on military intelligence/history/fiction in Japan, you never get a hand on one of those.

The missiles don't come from the UAV. They come from other places. The UAV servers as terminal guidance for missiles launched from anywhere. It could be launched from airborne, seaborne or land-based platforms. It doesn't matter as long as you have the coordinates of target and launch platform. The missile can be TV guided, semi-active laser homing, Image homing (different from TV, but I presume you people don't want to know the details) or milli-meter wave radar homing (also available in milli-meter wave radar imaging).

Also, the actual UAV controller looks pretty much like Flight Sim workstation. This is the future. Cheap sensors on cheap, expendable unmanned (or unwomenned) vehicles, and ordinance is delivered via remote control from more expensive launch platforms.

Comment

That is one, but certainly not the only one. Just the most famous.

Also, FYI, OP... Unmanned Aerial Vehicle:

A UAV is any Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, not just military. Of course the military ones aren't toys, lives are at stake.

Also actually UAV's (military) have been known to be controlled by game pads. Believe it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by donpost
                          If you use the electronic warfare package when using the UAV, can you teammates see the enemies it scans or do you still have to spot manually?
                          It doesnt spot. It scans. There will be a scan around your uav similar to the movement sensor of the recon class.

Comment

why would they make a uav that moves at about 15 miles an hour and makes a boat load of noise. Real drones are much more sophisticated then the little toy remote controlled helicopter in this game.

Comment

Working...
                            X