No announcement yet.

Bad Company 2 competitively unfriendly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad Company 2 competitively unfriendly?

I believe the BF competitive community will make it happen one way or another. In spite of BFBC:2's obvious (initial) shortcomings, leagues and teams will be testing the waters with beta tournaments to see what the game can bring competitively.

With E-sports coverage, before the days where live-streaming video was possible, we had audio-only shoutcasts from BFRadio, BFGeeks, TSNCentral, which was just as exciting back in the day. We will still have interesting news write-ups, interviews, and entertaining match prediction/recap threads in various forums.

However it is a bit sad if the video coverage will indeed be absent altogether, especially with technological advances today where we are able to broadcast in widescreen, archive HD content, new flash versions/server end streaming, and free live-streaming sites such as uStream & JustinTV as an option. Unfortunately we are missing some of our long time enthusiast shoutcasters and driving force behind the Battlefield competitive community, namely DustyDave from 42/DC days, and Narco getting married (or was that one of his buds?).

It might be interesting to keep an eye on the reality television series of competitive gaming such as MLG, CGS (dead), and other LANs or expos. To see how they go about providing coverage for BFBC:2 (if any). That might give insight to online broadcasting companies about doing BFBC:2 coverage. Though the target audience is somewhat different for the two scenarios, also the case with GameSpotTV and their in-house competitions.

To naysayers that competitive gaming is irrelevant or just a very small part of a game's success, much of the success and popularity the Counter-Strike and Call of Duty series enjoyed stemmed from the huge competitive following they had.
    Good to see CS finally dethroned after all these years, albeit much from the influence of WoW.... Actually BFBC:2 are rescuing a lot of players from their WoW and RTS addiction back to FPS :P

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield

And finally, Lordsethonan, releasing a game with so many missing features is inexcusable, especially when youve made fun of your competitor for not giving a flip about the PC community, on and on, constantly rubbing it in, and then releasing a typical EA product.

As always, threads like this turn into one group bashing another for completely irrelevant and wrong reasons.
      Just saying; for me it was always clear that BC2 was not meant to be a BF2 sequel in any way shape or form; I'm actually quite surprised the game turned out to be as good as it is out of the box plus first patch. I have very vivid memories of the mess that both BF2 and 2142 launches were; I don't see the broken game at launch that bf2 was, with flying fortresses and death from thrown C4, and sketchy hitreg for all weapons.
      I also don't see the game as incomplete. I agreed with you, those features would be nice to have - IN TIME. After fixing the server outtage and some other stuff in-game.

From the developers point of view on business: Why would I put time in to develop tools for a game even I am not taking seriously? It's not a flagship title anyways, it can wait if people ask around maybe I'll give it a shot.

and to be quite frank, I'd prefer if they started working right away on BF3 instead of sticking around for BC2. For me it was kind of an unspoken deal with DICE, I buy your place holder game, and you raise money to fund the next big one. turned out better than I hoped, the game is good by itself, it's good it doesn't have the baggage of carrying the number 3 after its title. I will be much more demanding of the next official sequel tough; I expect BF3 to keep the polish and balance of BC2 out of the box, but bigger, better, more modes of game maps with planes. Yes, with planes and choppers and if they can throw the carrier out again, why not? This time we got working AA and maybe they can actually build a small flight simulator inside of the main game, with real physics, le'ts see the flyboys deal with a plane that will keep travelling forward when nose diving because of inertia.

Comment

"Since its not a game Im taking seriously, screw people who want a different kind of enjoyment from this game."

Comment

Speaking of not being able to spectate this really sucks for game admins. Punkbuster doesn't catch half the hackers out there so game admins have to rely on things like pbss and spectating. In BF2 both were invaluable tools used by game admins to ban cheaters but in BC2 it's all out the window. Pbss are black and with no spectating you can't see a guy's aimbot snapping and shaking. This is a huge disadvantage for server admins. If you could watch a guy and see his aimbot shaking and snapping then you could feel pretty good about banning them and if they came in you could show them an xfire video for instance. If you got a dirty pbss of them then you could submit it to pbbans or psb and they would be banned. Now we can't do that. Now you are going to have to look at a score and guess. Innocent players (more so than ever) will be banned.

At least server admins can stream to pbbans. That took A LOT of work on pbbans part, but the game will suffer once the hacks get cranked up and admins will have to rely on guess work more than anything.

Comment

Sup Redfield, long time no see

I've talked to a few people I use to compete BF2 with, everyone appears to be on the fence right now.
            Only time can tell.
            xfire: chodda
            steam: w0ofz

Comment

Originally posted by Chodda
              Sup Redfield, long time no see

I've talked to a few people I use to compete BF2 with, everyone appears to be on the fence right now.
              Only time can tell.
              HOLY CRAP! Chopper review, now!
              You going to stick around or retreat back to your cave? Haha

Comment

"Since its not a game Im taking seriously, screw people who want a different kind of enjoyment from this game."
                It doesn't even have LAN support, at this point in time it's mor eimportant to get it working properly on the intertubes than spending time adding spectator mode, on a game very few people can play anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordsethonan
                  It doesn't even have LAN support, at this point in time it's mor eimportant to get it working properly on the intertubes than spending time adding spectator mode, on a game very few people can play anyways.
                  Lord, that unnecessary spectator view is going to be the first line of defense between you and cheating bastards, dont dismiss these things so lightly.

Comment

Lord, that unnecessary spectator view is going to be the first line of defense between you and cheating bastards, dont dismiss these things so lightly.
                    I know, but right now, neither me nor the cheating bastards can even log in to the game. Let them change the hamsters in EA master server, then we ask for the spectator things.

Comment

I know, but right now, neither me nor the cheating bastards can even log in to the game. Let them change the hamsters in EA master server, then we ask for the spectator things.
                      lol

That is all.

Comment

Bugs take priority over anything else, absolutely. But youre completely ignoring two things.
                        A) Were talking about functions which should have been in the game since day 1
                        B) DICE proved themselves that they get distracted by the public outcries regarding statistics, than actual gameplay

Suddenly, the argument regarding how splintered the PC community is, pops up my mind. This thread is a living testament to that. It was not until I drew your attention to something which could potentially bite you in the ***, that you showed interest.

Comment

Bugs take priority over anything else, absolutely. But youre completely ignoring two things.
                          A) Were talking about functions which should have been in the game since day 1
                          B) DICE proved themselves that they get distracted by the public outcries regarding statistics, than actual gameplay

Suddenly, the argument regarding how splintered the PC community is, pops up my mind. This thread is a living testament to that. It was not until I drew your attention to something which could potentially bite you in the ***, that you showed interest.
                          from day one in a series using the same engine, I'd agree. this is a new engine for the PC; for a game that I have ahunch the developers didn't expect to have such an amazing response from the player base, specially since from day one, the player base hsa flinged the "It's not a real BF game" line endlessly. FEatures that the developers have repeatedly stated that they will look into after they solve the initial bugs with the engine.

We don't even have a clear pictue of the entire unlock tree potential for unbalancing. to get that we need at least a month of play, when the majority of the dedicated population can go tow to toe, 16vs16 with everything available. I have theories about just how broken a full blackhawk can get with a coordinated squad; at least we have confirmation that vehicle unlocks don't stack, so no quadruple defense, or endless barrage of shells from a tank.

Let's pressure instead to have the connectivity and lag issues solved first, then objectively determine if the vanilla mode with full unlocks in unbalanced; then we can talk competitive scene and ask for full support for that, THEN maybe ask for modtools if the game needs them.

Between you and me; if given the choice to get modtools (the spectator and first person recording for leagues I can fully get behind, more for the entertaining aspect, same with battlerecorder) and instead have DICE start working on a full blown 64 or who knows, 128 people extravaganza, with full maps, destruction and an optimized for PC engine for a future BF3, I'd choose have them focus on BF3 instead. I'm liking the game, I really do; it's more fun out of the box than BF2 was out of the box for me; but I see it as a bridge towards something even better down the road.

To me it's DICE getting their feet wet on new technology and design philosophy; kind of like the apperitive. Last times I could play, I been getting killed by high levels using the first weapons with some rather "odd" combination of unlocks; we need more time to see where this leads, as people are starting to develop their own loadouts based on their playstyle and preferences; we have standard munchkins spawning as combat medics with magnum, red dot and M60, but they are not invincible; have you tried a tank with quick reload and penetrating ammunition? It gets sick. Hell I've even seen the smoke grenades in use to use as actual cover to storm a base.

We are almost two weeks into launch, and save for the server overload issues, very few have actual complains about realistic problems. The two major ones besides that: lack of sli support, and DX9 rendering problems

I tell you again, let's pressure EA to sort out this problems, and then pressure DICE to get the other things done. And not because of hackers in the beginning, those you can deal with one way or another, even in game; you still get those even with the battle recorders, just that at this point in time, we need to be able to play the game well first.

Comment

Just to clarify; now that EA has their sale reports (and they do know how many they sold through EAD) I think they will realize along with DICE that maybe it's worth developing those spectator tools; there is a clear demand for them, and the customer base is there; I'm gonna look tomorrow for the statements but suppodsely from retail outlets, Xbox has 53% of the sales, and the rest split between PS3 and PC; but the PC sales don't take into account digital distribution copies, like steam, D2D and Xfire store; but if the PC crowd has more people online than the xbox version then you have a pretty interesting population of players. So th ePC version sold at least as much copies as the xbox version, and then some.

Even befor this fact was made public; DICE representatives have stated that they would look into these tools if there was demand for them, the demand is there now; and yes, given DICE past record of work speed, it will take time; but I think you'd agree to the fact that maybe they didn't bother to develop them to save time because it didn't seem like the PC version would sell as much as it has.

It's suppodsely the current fastest selling game of 2010; and it's close to outselling the ammount of copies MW2 sold, on a fraction of the hype, in the same time frame. I think DICE has more to worry now, getting EA to provide stable servers so they can stop the negative publicity they are getting, instead of providing tools right now.

Comment

HOLY CRAP! Chopper review, now!
                              You going to stick around or retreat back to your cave? Haha
                              I played the Beta, wasn't too thrilled. I think I'll go back to hibernation until BF3 <3

I've been known to post new videos on my YouTube every so often.
                              Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

Peace,,
                              xfire: chodda
                              steam: w0ofz

Comment

:laugh:

Comment

Working...
                                X