COD7 Monthly fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COD7 Monthly fee

Given the "disproportionate contribution" that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 provided to Activision Blizzard's well-padded bottom line, it won't come as a surprise that the next Call of Duty game is coming this holiday season. See? You're not surprised.

"If you think about the successes we have had in other categories on subscriptions, you can get a sense of the direction we want to take that franchise," Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said during today's quarterly earnings call, not specifying exactly when it planned to take such steps.
    Looks like the next COD will have a monthly fee.

Re: COD7 Monthly fee

Sounds like WOW! :laugh:

Comment

No where in that article does it say CoD7 is going to be subscription based. If you look through the news articles that have been posted here in the past it is known that a third developer has been brought in as well as atricles saying Activsion is trying to figure out some type of MMO/FPS monthly subscription hybrid.

Could it be CoD7? Yeah, it could, but again, this article does not mention CoD7. Also that quote provided was taking out of a much larger discussion of the next steps for Sales with Activision, making all this out of context.

This is a rumor thread. For now, please discuss the topic, but its all speculation and there is no proof of it being COD7.

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Second paragraph:

"But executives did talk briefly about the game's release window and their desire to see some subscription-style revenue from the series."

"If you think about the successes we have had in other categories on subscriptions, you can get a sense of the direction we want to take that franchise," Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said during today's quarterly earnings call, not specifying exactly when it planned to take such steps.

Is this a misunderstanding?

Comment

Originally posted by IC-Beav
          Second paragraph:

"But executives did talk briefly about the game's release window and their desire to see some subscription-style revenue from the series."

Is this a misunderstanding?
          I could misunderstand "from the series". There is no denying that Activision wants to do this, but we dont know when. As I said, it could be COD7, but the statement is too vague and no one came out and asked "Is CoD7 the game to do this?" They could be working on it, but its too vague to say CoD 7 WILL be fee based.

Of course, I could be wrong

Crunch

Comment

I don't see how Activision could possibly be serious about this.
            I'm filing it away under: shenanigans.
            MMOs aren't exactly thriving on the consoles right now. They're kind of a PC thing. And Activision have made it QUITE clear they aren't really concerned with the PC as a platform. You don't drop a turd in someone's cereal and then try to get money out of them. That's just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
              I could misunderstand "from the series". There is no denying that Activision wants to do this, but we dont know when. As I said, it could be COD7, but the statement is too vague and no one came out and asked "Is CoD7 the game to do this?" They could be working on it, but its too vague to say CoD 7 WILL be fee based.

Of course, I could be wrong

Crunch
              Right on, thanks.

Comment

If it happens, I'm not buying it. Plain and Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Piemaaan!
                  If it happens, I'm not buying it. Plain and Simple.
                  NO YOU.....AND ME :rawr

I dont want a monthly fee for a game. If I was going to do that, I think I would play EVE Online. It looks awesome.

Crunch

Comment

I think PC FPS games will one day be subscription based. I can only hope so. I think a subscription based battlefield game for pc would be great. Not some ported console game. This would mean constant updates and content patches along with better expansions.

If COD7 is the first to take the route then I'm all for it. I'm sick of playing unfinished games or games with little to no support.

If the game is worthy of a subscription then I will gladly pay to play.

Comment

Originally posted by [3SA]N|2Lt.LunaTiKTunaLiK
                      I think PC FPS games will one day be subscription based. I can only hope so. I think a subscription based battlefield game for pc would be great. Not some ported console game. This would mean constant updates and content patches along with better expansions.

If COD7 is the first to take the route then I'm all for it. I'm sick of playing unfinished games or games with little to no support.

If the game is worthy of a subscription then I will gladly pay to play.
                      IF they did it that way, it may not be a bad thing, but if there are also dedicated servers and people are shelling out money on a server AND a subscription, would that work? Is that how WOW operates?

I dont know if I would still do it though. It would have to be a very popular game with constant updates and support.

Crunch

Comment

IF they did it that way, it may not be a bad thing, but if there are also dedicated servers and people are shelling out money on a server AND a subscription, would that work? Is that how WOW operates?

I dont know if I would still do it though. It would have to be a very popular game with constant updates and support.

Crunch
                        That is actually a very good point. In WOW Blizzard owns the server so obviously a part of that monthly subscription fee pays for the servers. In an FPS servers are hosted by the players unless they go with p2p servers which is reason enough for me not to buy the game. Paying $10 (I think that is what you pay for WOW) for the subscription and $60 for a 30man server ($2/slot) adds up to a lot of money. This would mean less servers or a p2p system which both sucks.

I can only hope that Kotick is full of crap and that this will not happen, but after looking at MW2 this move would make sense.

EDIT:
                        Looked up what the fee is for WOW and it is:
                        1month = $15
                        3months = $42
                        6months = $78

Comment

WoW can also afford to charge that much because for the most part it's the only game mmo players really have. I'm not saying there arn't other mmo games but WoW doesn't have to compete for gamers like FPS games do.

Many fps games are made so that you lose interest quickly and need to buy the next game out to get your fix. If it's a big name game you are more than likely going to buy it if its the game you want it to be or not. They release them before they are a solid game and then they don't really support them because they are devoting time to the next game and the next release date. They will do as little to no support as they can just to get by.

I could only guess as to what they would do about servers. I would hate to see player bought servers from private companies go away. I imagine there would be both if you'd like to buy your own server than you can but I would think the gaming companies would also provide servers.

Comment

"...successes we have had in other categories on subscriptions..."

Is there another Activision game besides WoW that is subscription based? You can't just slap $15 a month on any game and expect people to shell out. I guess at this point, given the success of MW2, you could probably put the CoD name on dog **** and people would still pay for it.

Comment

NO YOU.....AND ME :rawr

I dont want a monthly fee for a game. If I was going to do that, I think I would play EVE Online. It looks awesome.

Crunch
                              I agree this isnt even a hard decision to make.

Comment

Working...
                              X