Oh ****...securerom strikes again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh ****...securerom strikes again!

it seems like the digital release of Bad Company (the EA downloader crapola thingy) AND the disc version 2 will include SecuROM (NOTE: This does not apply to the Steam version, so it will NOT HAVE SECUROM.):

Quote:
    INTERNET CONNECTION, ONLINE AUTHENTICATION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES AND/OR SERVICES REQUIRES AN EA ONLINE ACCOUNT AND REGISTRATION WITH THE ENCLOSED SINGLE-USE SERIAL CODE. REGISTRATION FOR ONLINE FEATURES IS LIMITED TO ONE EA ACCOUNT PER SERIAL CODE AND IS NON-TRANSFERABLE ONCE USED. EA ONLINE TERMS & CONDITIONS AND FEATURE UPDATES CAN BE FOUND AT www.ea.com. YOU MUST BE 13+ TO REGISTER FOR AN EA ACCOUNT. EA MAY PROVIDE CERTAIN INCREMENTAL CONTENT AND/OR UPDATES FOR NO ADDITIONALCHARGE, IF AND WHEN AVAILABLE. EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON www.ea.com. GAME USES SONY SECUROM CONTENT PROTECTION TECHNOLOGY. (MORE INFO, INCLUDING HOW TO UNINSTALL SECUROM, AT WWW.SECUROM.COM). GAME CAN BE PLAYED ON UP TO FIVE COMPUTERS; USERS CAN MANAGE WHICH COMPUTERS ARE AUTHORIZED OR DE-AUTHORIZED TO PLAY GAME. VISIT http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/ FOR MORE INFORMATION ON DE-AUTHORIZATION.

The disc version does include SecuROM:

Quote:
    ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES AND/OR SERVICES REQUIRES AN EA ACCOUNT AND REGISTRATION WITH THE ENCLOSED SERIAL CODE. REGISTRATION FOR ONLINE FEATURES IS LIMITED TO ONE EA ACCOUNT PER SERIAL CODE AND IS NON-TRANSFERABLE. YOU MUST BE 13+ TO REGISTER FOR AN EA ACCOUNT. EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON www.ea.com. GAME USES SONY SECUROM CONTENT PROTECTION TECHNOLOGY (WWW.SECUROM.COM). INFO ABOUT EA ONLINE TERMS & CONDITIONS AND FEATURE UPDATES IS AT WWW.EA.COM.

i freaking knew this was gonna happen....

all i have to say is:

THANK GOD FOR STEAM!!!

Re: Oh sh*t...securerom strikes again!

How do you know it doesn't apply to the Steam version?

Comment

so disc in drive requirement, yes or no for retail copies?

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
        so disc in drive requirement, yes or no for retail copies?
        Unsure. Most likely not.

This isn't really a big deal for me. Crysis Warhead has the same kind of protection and it works great to be honest, just remember to deauthorize before uninstalling. No biggie.

That said securom is still fail, but not a big hassle in this form.

Comment

I really don't see the point with SecuROM, we all know that it will be cracked within max a week. SecuROM only effect poeple who have bought the product. Ah well, got steam version so I'm alright.

Comment

Almost all games that came with some form of anti-piracy measures sold at retail have it on the steam version as well since the steam versions are usually just the disc version of the games but without the discs.

*edit* Forget to add this part.

EA needs to rethink the way they handle the product keys. They need to get rid of this install limit crap. Yes I know you can deautherize an installation, but that shouldn't matter if you have to be logged in to the account that you authenticated your single product key to play the game. Although I no idea if you have to be logged in for single player and offline multiplayer mode (If available) like with BF2. It should be setup so that you can play from any computer the game is install on by logging into your account like how Steam does it.

Comment

Originally posted by [RET]Pierre-GC-
              I really don't see the point with SecuROM, we all know that it will be cracked within max a week. SecuROM only effect poeple who have bought the product. Ah well, got steam version so I'm alright.
              I say again, what makes you think the Steam version won't also have SecuROM? Other games on Steam also use SecuROM DRM. So was there some kind of official announcement from Steam or Dice or EA saying that it won't have it? I know other EA games don't, but unless they specifically come out and say it I wouldn't get that excited.

Comment

i'll be really pissed if i have to have a disc in drive for a game that uses CD key and EA account authorization. no need to keep piling on protection schemes when our accounts are tied to the CD keys.

Comment

Crysis Warhead on Steam has securom. I'm pretty sure there was some other game that had it as well, but to be honest it works perfectly fine and isn't too much of a trouble.

Comment

Re: Oh ****...securerom strikes again!

Doesn't GTA4 have securom, too? I think it does. I play it all the time and never notice it.

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]
                      I say again, what makes you think the Steam version won't also have SecuROM?
                      Because it doesn't state in the requirements/store page that the game has 3rd party drm, unlike with all those games that do use securom.

While I agree securom isn't a huge problem, and even less if it only does disc check, I refuse to buy securom games on steam(gta4 was a mistake I'm ashamed of not to mention the game was ****) as steam itself should be enough of drm. I truly hope there won't be drm on BC2, since ME2 doesn't have either, or I'm forced to cancel the pre-order out of principle.

Comment

Originally posted by jesus
                        Doesn't GTA4 have securom, too? I think it does. I play it all the time and never notice it.
                        hey tomeis, name change?

Comment

Securom is terrible. Could it be bypassed with a mini-image perhaps?

Comment

Do a little youtube search for "How anti-piracy screws over people who buy PC Games". I won't post the video here, but it's how some of you may feel once you get the game.

Comment

Wait so before I uninstall BC2 i have to unauthorize it? How would I do that? What if my comp ****s up and i gotta reformat!!!! GTA4 has securerom and I never had to authorize stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X