Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone figure out how to change FOV yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone figure out how to change FOV yet?

Looking through the cfg, I don't see an entry for FOV. Playing with blinders on makes me sick. If I play sitting 8 feet away, on my television, it's okay. But sitting 2 feet away on my monitor is just not working at all.

Re: Anyone figure out how to change FOV yet?

I believe they said it won't be possible to change the FOV, and without console access... it might be a while before a solution is found.

Comment

I've not tried all the config tweaks yet...

drawLagometer 1 works
      com_maxfps 125 works too

FOV would be cg_fov 80 - just try add it in and see if it works, if it doesn't then they either removed the dvar, renamed the dvar, or have it set to cheat protected...

Comment

The cg_fov cvar isn't in the config, as far as I can tell. And when I add it the game just deletes my cfg and makes a new one with default settings after giving me an error.

Comment

What's the error? I can add lines to my config... I accidently added cg_maxfps command thinking as I totally forgot it was com_maxfps... I removed it now though, but it doesn't reset for me... and it's not set to read only or anything...

Comment

I've heard that you can change the FOV (have yet to read how) but that VAC bans for it, so I'd wait before messing with anything like that.

Comment

VAC doesn't ban for changing FOV in any other games...

I've just decided to accept the fact that I can only play for a few minutes at a time and will always be at a disadvantage due to the feeling that I'm about to puke...

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]
                VAC doesn't ban for changing FOV in any other games...

I've just decided to accept the fact that I can only play for a few minutes at a time and will always be at a disadvantage due to the feeling that I'm about to puke...
                Your cynicism is overwhelming - you're not allowed to change the fov in MW2 unlike other games so manually doing it can potentially get you banned.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it does or not, simply rumors. However, I'm not about to put $60 on the line to test it.

Comment

Why would I not be cynical at this point? Between the lag switchers, rage quitters, intense nausea, and retarded matchmaking, why would I be optimistic? And after the things IW said, why would I ever expect them to patch anything in this game? They got their money, the game works as intended.

Many people get simulator sickness while playing 3d games, and an increased field of view, along with Vsync, helps a lot of people mitigate the symptoms. Or in my case avoid them altogether. When I upped the FOV to 80 in MW and WaW, my sickness stopped completely. Many PC games prior to MW used a default FOV of 80 anyhow. It wasn't until everything was ported straight from consoles that this became an issue.

The reason the increased FOV helps is it's what one's eyes expect to see. From a couch, an FOV of 60-70 is expected by your eyes. Up close to a monitor your eyes expect to see an FOV of 80-120 depending on how close you are to the screen. Since I'm about 30 inches from my 23 inch screen, 80 is about right for CoD. It's all about keeping the image at a 1:1 relationship with the space in which it's presented.

Comment

Why would I not be cynical at this point? Between the lag switchers, rage quitters, intense nausea, and retarded matchmaking, why would I be optimistic? And after the things IW said, why would I ever expect them to patch anything in this game? They got their money, the game works as intended.

Many people get simulator sickness while playing 3d games, and an increased field of view, along with Vsync, helps a lot of people mitigate the symptoms. Or in my case avoid them altogether. When I upped the FOV to 80 in MW and WaW, my sickness stopped completely. Many PC games prior to MW used a default FOV of 80 anyhow. It wasn't until everything was ported straight from consoles that this became an issue.

The reason the increased FOV helps is it's what one's eyes expect to see. From a couch, an FOV of 60-70 is expected by your eyes. Up close to a monitor your eyes expect to see an FOV of 80-120 depending on how close you are to the screen. Since I'm about 30 inches from my 23 inch screen, 80 is about right for CoD. It's all about keeping the image at a 1:1 relationship with the space in which it's presented.
                    I know how FOV works and I love 80 fov (90 in promod) but I've realized that they didn't allow for it to be legally changed, and I was simply pointing out that if you don't want to risk getting VAC banned don't mess with it.

Not everybody who bought the game is an uninformed idiot. If you're in so much pain playing it either wait for it to be fixed or stop playing altogether - after all, you did get it for free, right?

Comment

Edit the CFG and change the file to "read only" if the game doesnt kick you out it should work.

Comment

I don't know, as far as I can see a FOV of 80 at 30" would require 2 X 30 X Tan (80/2) = a 50" inch screen?
                        You can test if out yourself at http://easycalculation.com/trigonome...gle-angles.php

So I think its more complex than just having a 1:1 relationship.

But the FOV discussion isnt new, if you look at the BF2142 forums you will see rant after rant about DICE refusing to support widescreen. The reason given then was that it would give players with widescreens an unfair vantage, since they could see more.

And I can see increased FOV being even more of an advantage with COD-like gameplay. Imagine having to run with a FOV of 150, just to keep up with everybody else who does the same? The game would look like crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
                          But the FOV discussion isnt new, if you look at the BF2142 forums you will see rant after rant about DICE refusing to support widescreen. The reason given then was that it would give players with widescreens an unfair vantage, since they could see more.

And I can see increased FOV being even more of an advantage with COD-like gameplay. Imagine having to run with a FOV of 150, just to keep up with everybody else who does the same? The game would look like crap.
                          Well, there is a trade-off. With a higher FOV comes smaller targets. So you can see more, but it's harder to hit. I don't see it as being a huge advantage. No more than having a bigger screen in the first place, at least.

MW and WaW allowed FOV adjustments with an allowable range. 65-80 are the only valid settings in both. In the first CoD, 80 was the default anyway. It wasn't until they started going cross-platform that they lowered the fov to 65.

Comment

Interesting... if you set cg_drawFPS to "Simple" or "1" or similar - then the game doesn't load and crashes to the "dedicated server" console pop-up showing the error message...

It seems IW don't want you to view FPS so they force a crash on you and reset your config by deleting it...

Well I think it was for the FPS command, it might have been because I added cg_fov 80 too - either one of those caused a game crash/config reset...

Comment

Use fraps for FPS.

Comment

Working...
                              X