Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: god i hate moving titan servers

Originally posted by RanCorX2
    Then you be an engineer and keep taking out the guns, that usually pees the enemy off and they stop using them.
    I was of this opinion but I sat for an entire round with a tank propped at the right angle to take all 4 of them out continuously. Kept taking them out yet they just sat there mending them, the freaks. Eventually their puny minds cottoned on to where I was and why their guns were being destroyed as soon as they fixed them. This was after about 20 minutes; people will go to whatever lengths to get the 'easy kill' if its given to them on a silver platter as those titan guns are.

Still they're fun and something else to avoid.

Comment

haha do you guys remember where there was no such thing as stationary titans? in the beginning, the titans had no moving restrictions. they would even move after shields went down. it was hilarious trying to revive someone in the titan as they would slide around the titan until they fell through an invisible hole in the titan. and underneath the titan, you would regularly see like 20 kit backpacks. it was sorta like 1942 when you are on deck of a moving carrier or destroyer. you would have to compensate for the moving platform.

anyways, if you hate moving titans, don't play there. if you somehow ended up there anyways, then don't be stupid and try to cap silos. you're dead meat.

Comment

Originally posted by RanCorX2
        Then you be an engineer and keep taking out the guns, that usually pees the enemy off and they stop using them.
        seems like it does the opposite, it encourages them to try get me back. and since they have every advantage (infinite ammo, they don't die when i kill their gun) it's a fight the person on the ground can never win

Comment

I think moving Titan servers are great fun, they add another dimension to the game.

However I have said before that I think that the gunners should die if their Titan gun is destroyed. If someone takes out a gun the console overloads and sparks so I think that this may have been the intention in early development.

I don't see that this would be an imbalance. As is it encourages people to sit in the guns and groundpound everybody in sight - friend or foe.

Comment

Originally posted by joe2
            seems like it does the opposite, it encourages them to try get me back. and since they have every advantage (infinite ammo, they don't die when i kill their gun) it's a fight the person on the ground can never win
            Pick a location that you can see a gun but they probably can't see you, keep moving around. That usually works.

Originally posted by Talbot
            I was of this opinion but I sat for an entire round with a tank propped at the right angle to take all 4 of them out continuously. Kept taking them out yet they just sat there mending them, the freaks. Eventually their puny minds cottoned on to where I was and why their guns were being destroyed as soon as they fixed them. This was after about 20 minutes; people will go to whatever lengths to get the 'easy kill' if its given to them on a silver platter as those titan guns are.

Still they're fun and something else to avoid.
            The players that continue to repair the guns, sound like ones that have no skill and are of the padding kind :P

Comment

The hating on moving titans shows an inherent unbalance in the titan guns. Who's bright idea was it to make is so that titan gunners were basically invincible? When you destroy a titan gun, the panel should short out, and the gunner should die. Hell I'd even give it a little splash so that the ppl repairing them would take damage. Having them dominate the map is stupid. Yes good titan placement is and should be important, but not for titan guns, but for the ability of podders to reach the silos.

Comment

Havent played 2142 in a while, but the titans in general were the best part of 2142.

Comment

Let's put it this way: Titan guns do not capture silos. They kill people, but they do not cap silos.

Let's say you're playing your average medium-quarters map, something like Minsk or Sidi where you can get a clear shot on no more than two silos. You have two persons manning the guns and providing some flak - that's great. That's awesome. But more often than not, you can hide away from the guns and still cap said flags. A pair of medics can, with a bit of strategy, out-heal the damage they get from receiving the flak. In the end, the Titan guns act as suppressive fire. They restrict enemy movement but they can't stop it altogether; you need people on the ground for that.

OK, you got two people manning those guns - that's two people less on the ground. Maybe a third one is trying to spam the distant flag he might just be able to reach without really seeing it. That's three persons off the ground. Start spamming some AA on these things and an engineer joins in to keep the guns healthy. Four people. Suppose a 48-man Titan server, that's 1/6th of the team. Suppose a more average 32-man server, that's a quarter of the team, dedicated to Titan gunning.

Now here's the joke: you have more troops to capture hard silos they cover with the flak guns, and they have less troops to capture these same silos that are easy for them. Is the tradeoff acceptable? Only if you are playing Suez Canal. Anywhere else, there's simply too much cover to go about to make a team entirely dependent on the guns. You're sacrificing up to a quarter of your team to defense and fire support duty, when what you really need are quick silo caps.

Let's put it this way: Titan guns do not capture silos. They kill people, but they do not cap silos.

Let's say you're playing your average medium-quarters map, something like Minsk or Sidi where you can get a clear shot on no more than two silos. You have two persons manning the guns and providing some flak - that's great. That's awesome. But more often than not, you can hide away from the guns and still cap said flags. A pair of medics can, with a bit of strategy, out-heal the damage they get from receiving the flak. In the end, the Titan guns act as suppressive fire. They restrict enemy movement but they can't stop it altogether; you need people on the ground for that.

OK, you got two people manning those guns - that's two people less on the ground. Maybe a third one is trying to spam the distant flag he might just be able to reach without really seeing it. That's three persons off the ground. Start spamming some AA on these things and an engineer joins in to keep the guns healthy. Four people. Suppose a 48-man Titan server, that's 1/6th of the team. Suppose a more average 32-man server, that's a quarter of the team, dedicated to Titan gunning.

Now here's the joke: you have more troops to capture hard silos they cover with the flak guns, and they have less troops to capture these same silos that are easy for them. Is the tradeoff acceptable? Only if you are playing Suez Canal. Anywhere else, there's simply too much cover to go about to make a team entirely dependent on the guns. You're sacrificing up to a quarter of your team to defense and fire support duty, when what you really need are quick silo caps.

Comment

on big maps instead of ground spam, they end up next to each other and you get anti-air titan gun spam. which some say lags the server, but it definitely annoys a lot of people either way and makes taking off in a gunship difficult or impossible, depending on where the titans are.

you also have the problem of highway tampa where they are at 90 degree angles to each other. for EU this is perfect, both guns have total coverage. but for PAC one of the guns is useless.

Comment

Teamwork is your problem.

With my buddies we only need 3 guys in an APC and we silo hop. With 3 people, the silo gets capped faster than they can react. Besides, when the fire comes down, one ditches to repair.

Comment

oh dear, i still have a totalgaming acc. and this place is still around. dear me for clicking on reply.

What all the smart repliers have said, but if the titans are close to each other, then both commanders have abit of a problem.

On the other hand, on a non moving titan server in a large map, if one team totally dominates ground control, then good luck trying to get your troops in to cap silos when they are so far away and have to drive over there, get strafed by gunships and deal with enemies spawning at their target silo. they might as well be stupid and camp inside the titan when the shields go down.

Comment

I think if you your titan gun blows up while you are manning it then you should die a violent death as well, like that move "The Surrogates".

Comment

Yeah, well... you can thank the game design where it's all remotely controlled and the crew don't need to climb down into the gun itself where it can face the danger of being blown up.

Comment

Just read this old thread (well one month old). Couple of points missed. Titan Guns are really unrealistic in the game for more reasons than mentioned. I play engineer cause I am old, my reactions are crap, my pc is noah's old one and my monitor is braille. So sitting on the titan repairing and shooting the guns suits me.

On top of being invincible and usually getting a medal and umpteen kills no deaths, I also get half a point everytime another gunner kills someone. And every kill I get I get 2 points! One for the kill and one for titan defense. Kill an enemy trying to cap a silo and you get a silo defense point as well. Points galore. Totally unreasonable and unbalancing.

I agree with everything written except dying at the guns. Maybe wounded each time 55%. And reduce the points for titan cannon kills. Nothing for anything else like silo defense point or titan defense point and half a point each kill.

Comment

I gotta agree that suez moving titan is crap.
                                And diying when titan guns are destroyed?.. nahhhh, why would you die when your automatic remote gun is destroyed.
                                I dont think points that you earn on the titan are unrealistic, they are fine the way they are. And if you got 7 guys working on the guns, be aware that the guys on the ground are getting hell ****ted on their heads.

Comment

Working...
                                X