X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project Reality v0.87 Released!

Hi guys,

New to the Mod and new to this forum

This Weapon sway line of chat had caught my eye, cause it is one of the biggest pet hates I had with BF2 and with Project Reality.

I was wondering, since BF2142 has got weapon sway and a few other perks, are there any considerations to move this mod to it?

besides this problem I actually really enjoy your great mod.
    A better engine to base it on would make it rock even more.

Comment

Moving to 2142 is not an option since we would loose all the weapons/vehicles that are in vbf2 which is about 1/2 the total weapons/vehicles that are in PR let alone 2142 has a very small player base compared to BF2, let alone the player base that would consider to play mods for BF2142.

If PR was going to move we would make a much bigger leap to a engine that would be worth all the extra work than to one that only has a few small + points and a huge load of negative points.

Comment

Thats fair enough.

So I guess the next Leap would logically be Battlefield Bad Company 2
        when it comes out. Which I think would be awesome with your mod, not only reality combat, but obsticals that actually react properly (No more Wire fences stopping a 60 tonne tank).

Comment

Originally posted by KnightOps2022
          Thats fair enough.

So I guess the next Leap would logically be Battlefield Bad Company 2
          when it comes out. Which I think would be awesome with your mod, not only reality combat, but obsticals that actually react properly (No more Wire fences stopping a 60 tonne tank).
          Battlefield 3 would be even more logical leap since it's coming out not too long after BC2.

Comment

I can't see us ever going onto anouther EA/DICE platform after all the promises given to us before BF2 was released by EA/DICE and how many of them they failed to meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino
              I can't see us ever going onto anouther EA/DICE platform after all the promises given to us before BF2 was released by EA/DICE and how many of them they failed to meet.
              But what if it turns out good this time?

Comment

Well my vote would be for Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising
                I think it could be a good basis for a modable platform.
                Of course I know jack about modding so I am only speculating

Comment

Nah, PR and OFP DR dont go together in my books. I never got to play OFP but I did hear it was the realistic war sim of the time or similar (cant remember, too lazy to look it up on wikipedia) and if OFP DR tries to emulate that it would clash and PR would be pointless. Personally, i think if they do move they should get their own engine, but battlefield 2 is fine for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino
                    Out of idle curiosity, which promises were made but not kept?

Comment

Originally posted by Forces(UK)
                      Out of idle curiosity, which promises were made but not kept?
                      Well first of all, they did say they would release the mod tools before BF2 was released, they didn't. Took them a few months after release to do so which wasn't too bad but still they did promise to release them with BF2 and when they released them they where extremely buggy and most of the bugs never have been fixed we have just learnt to live with them.

The worst stuff is really how they promised to support the mods directly. They planned to have guys working with us to give us direct support with making tutorials, helping out with our problems and basically doing what they can to help the mods. They did have a guy on the BF Editor forums who did make a few tutorials and did help some people, but guess what? He got fired a few months after BF2's release... Not because he was doing bad work or anything, in his own words they did it because they have no intrastate in helping BF2 mods any more, which is most likley because they realized the BF2 rank system along with many other things wouldn't give mods much of a chance to get off the ground.
                      After that we where left with nothing, just a few very basic tutorials that covered pretty much nothing. We as the community ended up having to help each other as much as possible and make the tutorials myself. I have crated god knows how many tuts now for BF2 and PR on mapping/modding.

The only support we (PR) have ever got from DICE directly was last year before the MOTY contest I finally got a email though to them which basically asked them to promote our new release, they did it because they knew we had a shot of getting MOTY last year (which we did win) and they knew that would help promote BF2 as well. Was nice to get that little bit of support, but after that I have had no reply to any of my emails etc since.

Its just loads of things that have added up and made our life so much harder to mod for BF2 where if they gave us this support I'm sure there would be many more successful mods than just PR, FH2 and a few others and POE2 would maybe still be modding for BF2 etc.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

While chatting with someone pretty high up at DICE a little while ago, I noted that he has a very welcoming attitude to the modding community, and so I was surprised to read just now that you'd struggled with obtaining good support.

I've spent MASSES of time on one one of the official Battlefield titles, and recently I've found myself spending lots of time playing Project Reality, which I must say is an absolutely awesome mod, which all teamwork-oriented battlefield players should try.

It is a testament to the initiative and skill of your modding team that you have managed to produce such an immersive award winning mod without much direct cooperation from the game makers, but I'm still left wondering why it ended up going that way.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if I learnt that most of the people at DICE would have been happy to work with you, but probably at some stage a big bad boss from EA walked in waving a budget sheet and shouting "MAKE ME SOME GOD DAMN MONEY!" (a bit like Mickey Mouse in South Park), and the support got dropped.

Comment

I do rather suspect it's office politics rather than the staffs non-interest in helping. Probably stuck in a bureaucratic loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Forces(UK)
                            It wouldn't surprise me at all if I learnt that most of the people at DICE would have been happy to work with you, but probably at some stage a big bad boss from EA walked in waving a budget sheet and shouting "MAKE ME SOME GOD DAMN MONEY!" (a bit like Mickey Mouse in South Park), and the support got dropped.
                            Yes, that is pretty much excatly the problem from what we can tell to. There are many people in DICE who would like to help the mods, many with mod background themselves and its simply the fact that they can't help us in there work time since its not there job and they most likley just don't have time to help us in there free time. Its simply no longer in there interest of there business plan for them invest time into the mods where most of them will give them little return due to the nature of BF2.

Cheers for the kind comments about PR, glad you like it

Comment

Working...
                            X