Autobalance is NOT Enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autobalance is NOT Enough

First of all I've been playing BF2 since it was released in June of 2005, so I can say that I have had considerable experience playing BF2 and experiencing the aforementioned situations.

Many a time I've been in games where there is not a numerical player imbalance, but rather a skill imbalance. This happens when one team has vastly superior skills compared to the other team and leads to a very one sided match round after round. For the less skilled team, these games can become boring and difficult to play and therefore causes a massive number of ragequits as the team can't even seem to break out of the spawn even by flanking and other numerous methods.

I have a possible solution for the "skill imbalance" problem and it is quite simple. One would be to autobalance teams by rank, and the other would be to randomize teams after every round. Personally I think the first option is better since it won't break apart teams after every round, but rather keep them nice and even with a few occasional switches rather than massive randomization.

In my opinion this would make the game more enjoyable, as even the most experienced, hardcore BF2 players know how frustrating it can be to be stuck on a losing team round after round.

What are your thoughts? I understand that with BF1943 DICE is going in a new direction in terms of matchmaking to make things more even, but rather than just organize matches with people of similar ranks, I believe it's better to just equalize teams in terms of ranks rather than entire matches.

On another note, teamwork can go a long way in terms of keeping teams balanced however, as you know teamwork is hard to get going on a team level in BF2, most of the time teamwork is found in only one, maybe two squads per team and squad to squad communication is virtually nonexistent.

Re: Autobalance is NOT Enough

Isn't there already a server option to randomise teams after every round? I know BF2142 servers have that option, and it works wonders against repeated steamrolls by one team.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfAlmighty
      Isn't there already a server option to randomise teams after every round? I know BF2142 servers have that option, and it works wonders against repeated steamrolls by one team.
      I have no idea what options BF2142 has, although I'm pretty sure BF2 does not have that option.

Randomizing teams is one method of preventing one sided rape, but I think a less extreme and less "team breaking" method would be to even out teams by rank.

Comment

I think there is a server side randomize team option but I don't think msny servers actually use this option.

Comment

You are right a auto balance which takes ranks into consideration is best. However what more is there to say. I think the DICE team have enough on their hands at the mo. :yay:

Comment

I do know that DICE has a lot on their plate at the moment and that they will probably never implement my suggestion(s) for BF2, but maybe for BF3?

Although I do think that a way must be found to stop one team from "steamrolling" round after round as it takes a lot away from the game and makes it frustrating for players. Something should be done about it and this should be near the top if not at the top of the list in terms of balancing the game.

Comment

Meh, would ruin teamplay if you found yourself on the opposite to your mates side every round

Comment

There is a randomize option and the reason you don't see it often on popular servers, is that people freaking hate it, and servers that have it enabled are empty.

What do ranks have to do with skill? I seen many Colonels that sucked pretty bad, just because they put in 2000hours doesn't mean they know what they are doing. Ranks don't mean ****.

Comment

Originally posted by =)BiT(= Evant3k
                  There is a randomize option and the reason you don't see it often on popular servers, is that people freaking hate it, and servers that have it enabled are empty.
                  that and people usually get around it by team swapping and squading up in the first couple seconds of the game, so its pretty much pointless.
                  What do ranks have to do with skill? I seen many Colonels that sucked pretty bad, just because they put in 2000hours doesn't mean they know what they are doing. Ranks don't mean ****.
                  so true. there is so many stat padders these days that rank means nothing.
                  "Crunch's First Officer"
                  twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Or it's more likely that clans won't use it because most are too wussy to actually split the clan when playing pub. They don't want randomised teams, they want to put all their clan on one team and then cap out the other team round after round. Why some people actually put up with this is beyond me...guess some people don't know any better.

Comment

Then how do you solve the problem of having one team consistently beating the other and making it frustrating for other players?

I said to balance by rank because there is no other way, it would be impossible to balance by actual skill...

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie
                        Then how do you solve the problem of having one team consistently beating the other and making it frustrating for other players?
                        You don't, nothing is perfect.

You win some and you lose some. Natural selection and rage quitting always evens out teams over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie
                          The only real way to do it in the short term is to have good players voluntarily switch sides if teams become stacked. Doesn't happen all that often, but it's the only viable solution for a skill imbalance.

Comment

TF2 has it working quite well, you can't really stack teams, because it auto locks the team with more players. Plus you can always bring up a vote for "team scramble", but that's TF2. I hate people that switch at the start of round.

Yes clans like to play with each other isn't that what a gaming clan is? Wouldn't you prefer to play with your buddies?

Comment

Yes clans like to play with each other isn't that what a gaming clan is? Wouldn't you prefer to play with your buddies?
                              Yes, but not when it's so lopsided that one team gets continually slaughtered round after round because of it. Besides, sometimes it's more fun playing against your buddies so you can rub it in when you win. Stacking an entire clan against a bunch of random pubbies would be about as exciting as a Pro-Am tournament where all the pros play on one team and all the amateurs play on the other. Or like five random people picked up off the street playing a basketball game against the Cavaliers.

Comment

Working...
                              X