Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If CoD6 or COD7 had SO would you still buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If CoD6 or COD7 had SO would you still buy?

If CoD6 or CoD7 had sound occlusion would you buy it?

The sound thing was a very controversial move on Treyarchs part for game play. Some liked it because of the popping noise made and the sound of distant gunfire for realism. Some did not like it because the weapons sounded weak and non-responsive. It was also hard to hear where the shots were coming from.

Your thoughts?

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Re: If CoD6 or COD7 had SO would you still buy?

Audio is one of those things that can "wow" me (like the sounds in the vids I've seen of Bad Company 1), but if it's lousy, it doesn't ruin the game for me. It's probably the thing I care about the least.

I'd rather they get rid of it, allow us to turn it off client-side, or fix it properly, but it wouldn't prevent me from buying.

Comment

If it was fixed, it would be the best thing :awes

I liked it in CoD6, meant you could hide a bit more, which is why I think people didn't like it

Comment

If they give an option to turn it off, I'd be happier. I've always played FPS games with more attention to sound than sight. When I played UT2k4 dodgeball, I could play with my eyes closed and rely on sound position, volume and type to know exactly how hard the ball was being shot and from where.
        COD: WaW was disappointing, as I could hear grenades going off or sniper shots being fired, but it sounded like everything was covered by a pillow or something. If a grenade goes off on the other side of a short wooden wall, it shouldn't sound like it went off under water 50m away.
        If I fire a rifle from 100m away with nothing but grass in between us, you would know exactly where I was when I fired. With the sound in WaW, not so much.
        I guess after hearing what it all really sounds like, even with ear plugs in, the simulation will always come up short.

Comment

If they did it properly, I would still buy it. Personally, while it wasn't perfect, the sound in Call of Duty 4 was suitable, but World at War's was just atrocious.

Comment

SO is the #1 reason I have not bought WaW. It ruined the sounds big time and treyarchs stance that its the best thing since ever was totally off putting.

If SO in it's current form were to be used in future games I wouldnt touch them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by garandx
              SO is the #1 reason I have not bought WaW. It ruined the sounds big time and treyarchs stance that its the best thing since ever was totally off putting.

If SO in it's current form were to be used in future games I wouldnt touch them at all.
              Because sound should be the main basis on deciding whether or not to buy/try a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
                Because sound should be the main basis on deciding whether or not to buy/try a game.
                When a lot of your gaming experience is defined by sound, hell yeah it should be a deciding factor. We don't buy X-Fi sound cards because we want to listen to music...

Comment

I still don't understand how SO is more realistic the way Treyarch implemented it. Sounds behind me shouldn't be noticeably quieter than ones in front, right? :hmm:

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
                    So i take it that you play with the sound off everytime if its not that important to you.

Sounds can make or break games and in this case it breaks WAW and makes it a horrible audio experience. Everything sounds like it has a silencer on it.... even the grenades. The sound occlusion idea is ok, but the fact that it is broken and treyarch refuses to give the end user any controll as to how the game sounds on his or her console/PC is just wrong.

I still say that if Medal of honor airborne had mod tools you would be hearing those sounds everywhere, MOH:A has the best WWII FPS sounds ever.

Originally posted by Iwantcable
                    I still don't understand how SO is more realistic the way Treyarch implemented it. Sounds behind me shouldn't be noticeably quieter than ones in front, right? :hmm:

Yeah pretty much, but hey their award winning sound team knows what its doing right? :laugh:

Comment

I wouldn't mind SO if I could turn it on or off as I wish.

Comment

About sound making/breaking a game, I honestly won't purchase a game if it has terrible sound. When you are looking for a game, you are probably looking at the core gameplay, graphics, and community that will surround it, sound normally isn't at the top of the list. However, ever since I've played WaW, and compared it to games like Bad Company, or even Call of Duty 4 for that matter, I've become more conscious of the sounds, and now realize even more than before how important sound can be in a game.

Comment

I'd still buy it if it came with Swine flu..

Comment

Originally posted by Unnamed Assailant
                            When a lot of your gaming experience is defined by sound, hell yeah it should be a deciding factor. We don't buy X-Fi sound cards because we want to listen to music...
                            I never said it shouldn't affect your opinion. I said, sarcastically, that it should be the main basis on deciding whether or not to buy a game. He said he wouldn't even consider a game if it had the same sound setup as World at War. It could be the best game ever, flawless, and he wouldn't even consider it. Wouldn't you consider that a bit rash?
                            Originally posted by garandx
                            So i take it that you play with the sound off everytime if its not that important to you.

Sounds can make or break games and in this case it breaks WAW and makes it a horrible audio experience. Everything sounds like it has a silencer on it.... even the grenades. The sound occlusion idea is ok, but the fact that it is broken and treyarch refuses to give the end user any controll as to how the game sounds on his or her console/PC is just wrong.
                            I never said I play games silently and I never said that I didn't care about sounds. I rely on sounds a lot, and apparently, unlike you, I can adapt to different sound settings and be able to tell where noises are coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by CrAzY eYeD cAt =^O.o^=
                              I'd still buy it if it came with Swine flu..
                              I dont mind a game having bugs in it, but I think I would draw the lines with that.

I am a bit surprised with the results. So basically if there was a way to turn on/off sound occlusion, people would be thrilled all around.

MOST people would still buy the game even if SO was present.

I liked it, but I do miss the loud noises. I think Iwantcable and Unnamed summed it up best about how the sounds would sometimes be muffled when you wouldnt expect it to be.

I went into devmap mode sometime back, where you can turn off the parts of SO, and it really made a difference when you turned off a certain part of it.

Crunch
                              Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                              Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Working...
                              X